Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I'd say that supply in demand has something to do with it. There are a lot of companies relocating to Texas for the tax breaks, and many of their employees (yes, many Californians) are moving with the companies.
I've read that there will be a shortage of housing in the very near future.

I'd be curious to know how much property taxes have to do with rent prices, as well.

I know homeowners get gouged something awful. We pay about 2.5 times what we did in California, and more than 8 times what we paid in the state we moved here from. (Yes, we knew this before we moved here.)

I assume landlords who rent their houses pass on their tax burden to the renters, judging from what houses rent for around here.

Do apartment owners get gouged as well, and also pass on their tax burden to the renters??
Two questions:

1) How much were you paying in income tax in CA, that you're not paying in Texas?
2) Did you HAVE to buy the house at the price you did? I'm somewhat unsympathetic if you chose a more expensive house, and then are paying more in property taxes (however, regardless of price you paid for housing the more important point is what is your TOTAL tax burden relative to CA, and what is your income difference?)

to OP's post. $1200 for a 1BR is expensive, but there are options. I'm in a comfortable 750 sq.ft 1BR in a safe neighborhood in N.Dallas/Addison and pay $879. It's a relatively older building, but well maintained. I admit when I first moved I picked Post Addison Circle for convenience, but after a year and a proposed $60 increase on an already expensive rent, I sought out alternatives.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:11 AM

54 posts, read 56,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
Agreed. It seems that folks raising kids love DFW for the family friendly amenities including the quality of schools which i totally respect. So, with that being said, i'm convinced that families are willing to pay these higher rent and housing prices for the family friendly atmosphere.

We have no plans for kids, so for our lifestyle, I just don't think its worth paying more to live here. The weather hasn't gotten any better here (i have horrible allergy issues here and tired of the tornado sirens) Outdoor recreation options are still rather limited and eating out/shopping still seems to be the "it" thing to do, which gets old. Not to say that people without children don't or cannot enjoy it here; we find the whole area to be "nice" yet a bit underwhelming at the same time...we rarely spend our weekends here anymore so, thank goodness for good airports.

They need to chill out on the rising rents and housing costs; we've made some great accomplishments here however, we're looking west for better weather and outdoor recreation options.
If you don't have kids and don't plan on having them, and you don't want a big house, then honestly DFW is not a great place to live. Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, and New York are all much better places to live if you don't have kids and don't mind living in a smaller place. I'm with you in that I've always hated how DFW has nothing to do except shop and eat out. Considering I don't care for either of those things, I basically rarely leave my house except to walk on the exciting sidewalk on the streets. Yes, there are parks, but they aren't numerous or big enough, interesting enough, and they are always overcrowded on the weekends when I can go. Seattle is the polar opposite of DFW when it comes to this, as you'll never run out of things to do outside. I'd live in Seattle if I didn't have kids. I still dream of moving there when my kids move out, but by that time I'll be too old to really enjoy it like I could now while I still have my youth.

I concur about the allergies. I have been all over the world, and nowhere are my allergies worse than DFW. Don't know why.
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas