Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 8,435 times

Advertisements

Hi All! My husband and I are planning a move from Chicago suburbs to the DFW area this fall and have been researching like crazy, and we are so overwhelmed by the whole thing! Here's the deal:

-Wanting to rent for the first year or so, roughly $1500/month, 1500+sqf house with a larger lot. Would love a large backyard with mature trees.
-My husband and I both work from home, so we aren't tied down with a daily commute.
-We homeschool the kids, so we don't necessarily have any ties to needing "good" schools.
-Looking for a country-feel/small town community, traditional/conservative values.
-Safe/low crime and friendly neighborhood with parks and outdoor spaces for family fun during the week.

My husband took a trip this weekend with family to travel around the entire DFW region and he's confused as ever. He was told by a realtor that south of Dallas was the "skull and crossbones" of the area, but then he drove down there and absolutely loved Glenn Heights, Red Oak, Oak Leaf, and the like. Not sure what that's all about. Can someone offer some insight, as well as any other areas you think might fit our list?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 02:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Most posters, such as me, live in the northern 'burbs and know nothing about the southern ones. There are a few who do and hopefully they will chime in. None of the northern suburbs/exurbs have what you are looking for. Lots are tiny and most are too new to have large trees - unless you can afford a $600,000 home. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 8,435 times
Well, that certainly won't work! Thanks for the insight, SouthernBelle!

Old 05-08-2016, 03:29 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Nothing wrong with Red Oak, Ovilla, and the like. There are likely more traditional Texan types in those locations as well.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Look over in the Euless / Bedford / Irving areas. Lease homes are hard to come by and rents are high with all the demand. Maybe even northern Arlington and far north Grand Prairie.

These areas are older and have bigger yards.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Nothing wrong with Red Oak, Ovilla, and the like. There are likely more traditional Texan types in those locations as well.
I agree. OP would be best served looking at small towns beyond the arc of suburban sprawl and these are good suggestions! I think the key will be to look beyond suburbs that are generally considered within commuting distance to Dallas or Fort Worth, where it's borderline too far for a daily commute but you can easily get into the city on weekends for an event or day trip. I'd also add Waxahachie, Granbury, and Weatherford to the list. Maybe Sherman and Dennison, too.

I didn't see anything in the OP to indicate OP has a regular need to be in the actual DFW metroplex. If you're not commuting or using the airports frequently, there will be tons of places that match Op's criteria. No need to pay a premium to live with Dallas, Collin, or Tarrant counties.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:39 PM

55 posts, read 54,000 times
I grew up in Midlothian/Ovilla and love that area. I'm absolutely floored by posters who tell people to nix the entire area south of the metroplex because there are some less desirable pockets immediately south of Dallas with sub-par schools. I don't blame them, but to ignore the country acreage of Ovilla and to write off Mansfield as unsafe is laughable. There are very, very good neighborhoods to settle down in, and the stigma of the south is strange to me.

I have friends in the Red Oak/Oak Leaf area and many friends and family members in Midlothian/Ovilla and Waxahachie. Schools aren't as prestigious as Plano and some others, but they are very solid and safe. However, that doesn't seem like a concern to you, so I won't go into that.

You can get a lot more house and yard for your money, and they are really good, safe cities.

I would suggest talking with a realtor located in Red Oak or Midlothian and chatting with them about the advantages of different areas. I'm also happy to answer any specific questions.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Might even add places like Forney, Greenville, Rockwall and many of the small cities east of Dallas.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:55 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I have lived in the DFW area over 30 years and am a residential real estate investor. Ignore the call of the north....the south side has beautiful prperties. But it is true that more "southern culture" prevails there.

On the Dallas side I strong recommend (based on your criteria). Midlothian and Red Oak. Ovillia is great, too but don't believe you will find a rental property in your budget there. Finding rentals is hard.

Further west, toward FTW You might also look in Mansfield, but that is a bit larger; same goes for southwest Arlington -- you will find a nice community there but large and suburban -- but in your budget.

Also on the FTW side, you should research Godley, Benbrook and Grandbury

Old 05-08-2016, 04:27 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Since schools are not a factor, that makes a huge difference in your choices. I would also say to look in the southern suburbs, as well as east in Royse City, Terrell, and Kaufman. The schools in these areas are not the best, so most families avoid them, and that will allow you to find a house in your budget with a large lot and trees. (Avoid Seagoville and Greenville due to crime issues.)

You might also look in the northwest area, such as Boyd, Paradise, and Rhome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas