Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:15 AM

74 posts, read 88,914 times

Advertisements

Hello people. I am looking to move to Dallas next year or sooner. I've been doing research on the city, but the vast majority of threads and information in general is about home ownership and the suburbs. I will be finishing my grad school paid internship, to give you an idea of my SES. I love city life and urban living and would rather not live in the burbs. Nothing against it ofc, just not me. What options do I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:33 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Check out the gazillion threads on here about walkable, city living. You have tons of options in Dallas provided your budget is large enough your office isn't in some remote exburb. Look for threads that mention these areas: Uptown, downtown, Knox-Henderson, the Design District, North Oak Cliff, Deep Ellum/ Old East Dallas, The Village apartments, etc.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:47 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark0013 View Post
would rather not live in the burbs.
I don't blame you! A lot of the posters on here stick to their own little suburban bubble. I'm sure many of them have never stepped foot in Dallas. I don't think I've encountered this anti-city attitude in other Texas cities. They actually enjoy coming into their respective cities. Their suburbs don't try to take jobs and amenities away from their principal city. With that said, what type of housing are you looking for and at what price range? How important is public transportation and walkability? Technically a place can be pedestrian friendly and urban by design (e.g. Buildings built right to the sidewalk with no setbacks), but lack walkable amenities such as grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

Here's what considered urban living in Dallas:

*Downtown, especially around Main Street
*Uptown, especially around the West Village
*Victory Park
*Deep Ellum (lacking in grocery stores, but very urban by design. Tons of shops, bars, restaurants, lofts)

Here's what's considered quasi-urban living (e.g. Walkable business district but mix of single family homes, apartments, and the occasional strip mall).

*Lower Greenville
*Knox-Henderson
*Old East Dallas
*Oak Lawn
*Parts of Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts District (urban business districts, but single family homes).
*Cedars (still developing)
*Design District (see above)

Old 05-12-2016, 02:57 PM

379 posts, read 365,973 times
Other posters are steering you in the right direction.

Also be very wary of advice from the suburbanites in this department. They have no idea what you even want. You'll get lots of suggestions like Shops at Legacy, Austin Ranch, etc. These are essentially outdoor shopping malls. Zero walkability outside of the development itself, zero transit access, zero amenities geared towards residents. Complete monocultures. Don't let them get you off track.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 PM

817 posts, read 921,551 times
Most of Dallas is a suburb.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You have tons of options in Dallas provided your budget is large enough your office isn't in some remote exburb.
North Dallas/Collin County, where most of the transplanted companies are. Toyota, JC Penney, Frito-Lay, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Most of Dallas is a suburb.
Ditto. Witness the non-stop sprawl from McKinney and Allen to the Oklahoma state line.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Having to reinvent the wheel again---
Check the top three links/threads on the Dallas forum--
Surely one of them has similar info--
Because it has been asked before---

Old 05-13-2016, 09:40 AM

74 posts, read 88,914 times
^ They don't.

Thanks to everyone for the specific information. Very helpful.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Having to reinvent the wheel again---
Check the top three links/threads on the Dallas forum--
Surely one of them has similar info--
Because it has been asked before---
And so have the school rankings, best DFW suburbs, commute times, etc etc. No one complains about the endless suburban threads. But for some reason if a question is asked about urban living in Dallas, it's like "oh you're wasting our time, please visit the stickied threads." .

Old 05-13-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark0013 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the specific information. Very helpful.
You're welcome! Feel free to ask any question you want about DALLAS, TEXAS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas