Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 01:29 PM

155 posts, read 502,509 times

Advertisements

We are driving to the 30A area of Florida this summer and curious if anyone has opinions on the best route and places to stop. We've driven the I-10 route and stayed in Baton Rouge before, but i know a lot of people prefer taking I-20 to Jackson MS and then heading south. We are still debating if we want to try and make it in one day, but I need to find a good overnight location to consider. We will be taking our dog so a recommendation for a town with a clean and safe La Quinta would be great.

Last edited by new2aus; 05-15-2016 at 02:46 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 02:53 PM

161 posts, read 260,281 times
I have done both. If there isn't any massive road construction I prefer taking Lousiana route. 190 from Opie to Baton Rougue saves some time instead of taking I-49 all the way to I-10. Going thru Mississippi has some nicer scenery but there are more lights on the state highways. You can stay in Covington/Slidell headed out if you don't want to make the full drove. Other option would be Hattisburg/Jackson as well for Mississippi. I made the full drive in one day coming back but hit the road by 5 am. Half the battle is getting from I-10 to the beach or vice versa. Beating traffic thru Mobile is the key it always seemed like. Anytime after 8:30 am in Mobile can be gridlock with the tunnels.

You might consider buying a FL toll tag and having it mailed ahead of time. It will save some excessive charges to those who don't have them.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,977 times
We make the drive from Dallas to 30a/Miramar Beach regulaly. We take 20 to Shreveport, 49 to Opelousas, then 190 to Baton Rouge. We do the drive in two days because we have 3 year old and usually stop in New Orleans or Slidell. Slidell has a La Quinta but I can't vouch for it since we've never stayed there. On the return trip, we stay in Baton Rouge.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,556 times
1. Take the Dallas North Tollway, exit at Mockingbird.

2. Go west on Mockinbird, turn right at the sign that says "Love Field."

3. Go to the Southwest counter and buy a ticket to Panama City.

4. When you arrive, rent car or take cab for the approximately 30 min drive to 30a.

5. Congratulate yourself on adding another two days of beach time to your visit.

You're welcome.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
We drive that way 3-4 times yr going from DFW to south of Sarasota
We gave up on going south to Baton Rouge and using I-10 more than year ago...

Too many trucks--lot on I20 east of Shreveport but road is little better
Long stretches where there is no way to exit for another road if there is major problem...
Quality of road surface really uncomfortable for long distance ride comfort
There was construction along the route when we drove it last--maybe that has finished--but we aren't interested in finding out
Quality of places to stop/eat/bathroom breaks not that great

Now we drive to Jackson and then go south on 49/98 to Lucedale then Hwy 63 to Moss Point and catch I10 into Mobile... Someone on CD who lives in Mobile area posted that was better route than one Google usually shows because 98 going into Mobile has lot more traffic and will be slower than using 63 to I10... 63 is divided highway, good surface, fairly peaceful drive.

Don't stop at "rest stop" in Vicksburg--very hard on/off, high traffic locations.
We usually stop either before or after...Vicksburg is very grimy/high truck area... Reminds me of Memphis...we don't drive w/o stopping for dog/people breaks along the way...

We travel with pets and spend the night either way at the La Quinta in Daphne, Al just east of Mobile... Easy on/off I-10-- has Cracker Barrel and other restaurants across the main road from La Quinta...has McDonald's on the corner...
We make the drive with a dog, a cat (who does not get rest breaks) in 11 hrs
You MIGHT be able to drive it w/o spending night...we start from Hurst which adds 60-90 min getting past Dallas... If you want to miss heavy traffic you need to leave b4 6am IMO
Also check BedBug Registry--

If you want list of places we stop with clean restrooms let me know...
I have set for E and W bound trips
FL has excellent system of rest stops and there are couple in TX
LA and MS are the pits especially if you are off I-10.

Last edited by loves2read; 05-17-2016 at 07:17 AM..

Old 05-22-2016, 10:13 PM

155 posts, read 502,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

Don't stop at "rest stop" in Vicksburg--very hard on/off, high traffic locations.
We usually stop either before or after...Vicksburg is very grimy/high truck area... Reminds me of Memphis...we don't drive w/o stopping for dog/people breaks along the way...

We travel with pets and spend the night either way at the La Quinta in Daphne, Al just east of Mobile... Easy on/off I-10-- has Cracker Barrel and other restaurants across the main road from La Quinta...has McDonald's on the corner...
We make the drive with a dog, a cat (who does not get rest breaks) in 11 hrs
You MIGHT be able to drive it w/o spending night...we start from Hurst which adds 60-90 min getting past Dallas... If you want to miss heavy traffic you need to leave b4 6am IMO
Also check BedBug Registry--

If you want list of places we stop with clean restrooms let me know...
I have set for E and W bound trips
FL has excellent system of rest stops and there are couple in TX
LA and MS are the pits especially if you are off I-10.

Thanks. I think we will give the north route a shot. We have small kids and want to get to our rental around 3:00 so I think we will spend the night on the way down. Hattiesburg looks like it might be a good place to spend the night. Anyone have any feedback on Hattiesburg in General and/or the Hattiesburg La Quinta? It looks like it's got good reviews, but any feedback would be helpful. Want to make sure we have a clean, safe place to stay.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:38 PM

188 posts, read 230,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
3. Go to the Southwest counter and buy a ticket to Panama City.
LOL. Still cheaper to fly AA from DFW to VPS (Valparaiso, Fort Walton Beach). But I like your sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: