Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 18,598 times

Advertisements

My family was thinking about moving to Frisco, Texas. We have family there and they just love it. Anyway I was on bestplaces.com and looked up frisco and there was a review titled Anti-Lds (Mormon) it said that Frisco is a big anti Lds community. Weill we are lds so this scared us alittle. Does anyonw know about the LDS church in Frisco? Are you LDS and do you like it there? Or if theres anything at all you want to say about Frisco I would love to know. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by hlhblessed; 02-20-2007 at 10:15 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:20 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,393,654 times
There are some very vocal strict christian fundamental types on the Frisco online board.

You should check there. Believe me, those folks will tell you what they think.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 18,598 times
How do I do this? Sorry new to all this.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,637,807 times
For the most part, people online will voice more of their feelings than they would in real life. And yes I do believe that if anything is said negative, well it is what most church going people feel at the LDS here, but I don't necessarily feel they will force you out if you get here, tar and feather you. Dallas Fort Worth has more families going to church I believe than any other city I have ever lived.
What is interesting too, that most people I know do go to church too, it isn't this is what I am because I am raised this way. It is actually going to church.
Many southern Baptist, Non Denominational such as the Fellowships which are many places as well as Pentecostal denominations and Methodist are strong here. The is is Mega church territory with Potters House, Fellowship as mentioned prior, Prestonwood Baptist and First Baptist downtown.

Mormons aren't going to be the majority here like it is out west in many states such as Utah, Arizona, Idaho and Nevada where it is common and so I believe you would be met more with people not understanding you.

With that said, know that there are prejudice whereever you go when it comes to matters of faith as you have already seen online however this area I live in, well most are more apt to be your friend and most people are going to be respectful to you and it won't bother them in a secular setting. There are plenty of people who live here who are of different religions too and it doesn't bother many who aren't the same.
My step dad's family is mainly mormon. I am not LDS nor is my step dad or mom but growing up with cousins and uncles and aunts that are, I do have some insight. Though the LDS is not a huge religion here, there are houses of worship, infact one on El Dorado in Mckinney that I pass daily. They have there own community and there is plenty of networking that you can be apart of. I would not worry about what someone wrote, those are just words. There hasn't been any agressive behavior here towards LDS that I have seen or any other religions that aren't the majority here. If it did, it would have been all over the news.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:06 PM

549 posts, read 2,188,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhblessed View Post
How do I do this? Sorry new to all this.
www.frisco-online.com

go to the forum section

Old 02-23-2007, 12:48 PM

260 posts, read 1,132,301 times
Frisco Online is notoriously anti-everything. Don't be put off by that - there is just a vocal minority there. There's a pretty big LDS church in Frisco, and a neighbor of ours up the street attend there. They do a lot of community activities, and while I'm sure they field questions from non-LDS about what their church is all about, it's about what is expected in an area where there's not a huge majority presence.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:55 PM

45 posts, read 204,854 times
We are considering a move to Frisco as well. How big is religion an influence on things there, like politics, schools, entertainment, etc.? I'm just trying to get a feel for life there for those who are not active participants in organized religion. Is it even a factor?

Old 02-23-2007, 03:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,692,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoTX View Post
We are considering a move to Frisco as well. How big is religion an influence on things there, like politics, schools, entertainment, etc.? I'm just trying to get a feel for life there for those who are not active participants in organized religion. Is it even a factor?
The majority of the people in the Dallas metroplex DO NOT attend church. Never have. While many say that Dallas and Texas are more conservative than other parts of the country there is also the natives (few here in Dallas, VERY FEW) that still like our old live and let live spirit and attitudes. Believe it or not that is how most of us are but those sad, untrue myths and stereotypes keep cropping up. For those of us that do attend church and involved in our churches we just want to be accepted just as much as those that don't. It just boils down to respect. Not every church going Baptist is a card carrying Republican. Actually before the huge influx of people moving to Texas many years ago Texas and Dallas were mostly Democrats or at least leaned that way. The most recent election here saw many Rep. get the boot. Anyway, don't be surprised to find out that most of your neighbors do not attend church and may never have. Don't be surprised to learn that most of your neighbors moved here from somewhere else. Don't get offended if in conversation when meeting someone if they do ask if you go to church and where. It is not that they are trying to drag you to church but more in trying to find a connection. Just recently someone I meet at a childs birthday party stated they recognized me from somewhere. Okay, school? My kids go to ____? No. Church? I got a flat out "NO" from that so I just moved on and we had no clue how we looked familiar to each other. From the answer I figured that this person did not attend church. So it is NOT a big deal. Alas, like any other place we do have our fair share of religious lunatics but no more than anywhere else.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:28 PM

45 posts, read 204,854 times
Thanks for your reply, momof2dfw. Glad to hear that.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:22 AM

46 posts, read 139,741 times
Which Frisco gated community has a pool , golf and activities? We are 65 and currently live in hot springs village , arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas