Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
How old are you? Perhaps the reason that you don't know anyone who currently lives in The Village is because you've aged out of that general demographic.

With that said, The Village hasn't quite been the same since Uptown revitalized starting the late 1990s. From 1970-circa 2000, The Village was the place to be if you were young and unmarried. Now, The Village has to compete with Uptown/West Village/Knox-Henderson for the same set of people. So, The Village has some component of what it once had, but not quite the same appeal as 30 years ago when it was the only game in town for young singles. I would disagree on the community feel aspect there. There are activities in The Village to meet others. Uptown apartment complexes also have community building activities. In Uptown, there is built-in community with the walkability to bars.

One of the down sides of The Village is the lack of walkability to nightlife. If going to bars is a big deal, there's less walkability. Property owners/managers like Post and Gables in Uptown know that walkability to the bars is a big deal for young singles, as it is a key part of the process of one night stands, and that is a contributing factor to the lease prices observed in Uptown.

For the OP's question, I would not recommend either The Village or Richardson, as neither are close enough to Grand Prairie. Maybe the Design District or North Oak Cliff.
Thanks, OP here...

The nightlife and bar scene isn't what we are necessarily chasing (married life has that effect) but moving somewhere while not knowing anyone or having family around is daunting. Definitely like the idea of a community feel where it may be "easier" to meet people. Does that make sense? We're both outgoing people so I don't expect it to be difficult to branch out but it would be an added perk if our living area offered something in addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hitko View Post
Thanks, OP here...

The nightlife and bar scene isn't what we are necessarily chasing (married life has that effect) but moving somewhere while not knowing anyone or having family around is daunting. Definitely like the idea of a community feel where it may be "easier" to meet people. Does that make sense? We're both outgoing people so I don't expect it to be difficult to branch out but it would be an added perk if our living area offered something in addition.
I've never been married.

I agree that it is daunting to move to a place and know no one. I had never been to Dallas otherwise than changing planes at DFW Airport prior to moving here.

I'm trying to think of a place in the area that has the community feel that you'd look for. There are not a ton of places in general where late 20s people who are married and childless hang out.

I like the idea of North Oak Cliff, but I think probably the best way for you and your wife to meet people is getting involved in the activities that you both enjoy and things will develop. In a way, being married is easy in that regard. People who are single and not dating anyone exclusively when they move to Dallas need to live in Uptown, The Village, or Knox-Henderson. Childless, married couples in general might actually have more neighborhood options.

You could also look at SW Arlington as a previous poster suggested.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:30 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
There are some very nice apartments on HWY 360 on the N. Arlington/Grand Prairie line. Also at Centreport. Those are all convenient to your work location. Not a many families live in those because they are not in the best schools so you would likely meet people your age. Another thought is Las Colinas near Lake Carolyn. Lots of people your age. Probably about 30 minutes to work if you take back roads.

https://www.amli.com/apartments/dall...ng/las-colinas

Old 06-26-2016, 06:57 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hitko View Post
And any specific areas to absolutely avoid? Thinking knowing that could be a good way to weed out bad Realtors
There are other up-and-coming areas in and near North Oak Cliff beyond Bishop Arts and pricey Kessler Park and Winnetka Heights where you might find an older home that you like. Search for such neighborhoods as Kidd Springs, Elmwood, Ravinia Heights, L.O. Daniel, and even Kiestwood, which is farther south, as all are starting to attract attention because of the number of early 20th century and mid-century homes as well as old-growth trees, some rolling hills, some semblance of neighborhood camaraderie, and proximity to downtown.

The Next Hot Dallas Neighborhoods - D Magazine

Guide to Kiestwood - Places to Live, Things to Do and Restaurants in Kiestwood Dallas | Neighborhood Guide

Guide to Oak Cliff - Places to Live, Things to Do and Restaurants in Oak Cliff | Neighborhood Guide

ETA: The one drawback for some is the lack of a lot of name-brand retail on the southern side of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas