Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 AM

13 posts, read 27,831 times

Advertisements

Andy's pizza in Rockwall is the closest to NY style pizza I've had so far! Really delicious I must say.

I'm a New York transplant too so I know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:32 AM

11 posts, read 10,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I would KILL for a good deli or even a good pizza. 8 months in Texas and have yet to find an authentic NY pizza. And yes, I have tried all the pizza spots recommended. But hey, no shortage of Tex Mex!
Try Mimi's pizza in North Dallas! It is the closest I've found. (Also a NY transplant.)

Old 07-19-2016, 01:14 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Frankly I would not go downtown for dinner and entertainment, the whole place pretty much empties out at 5 pm.
Lol you really need to visit Downtown more often. Main St. has opened up quite a bit of good restaurants. The West End isn't too bad either. There's also some good ones over in the Arts District. CBD, Americano, Dallas Fish Market, Woolworth, etc. are pretty good places.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:01 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
I would KILL for a good deli or even a good pizza. 8 months in Texas and have yet to find an authentic NY pizza. And yes, I have tried all the pizza spots recommended. But hey, no shortage of Tex Mex!
1. Cane Rosso or maybe even Zoli's if you need strict NY pie - I think Zoli's is closed for a move to Addison.
2. Have you tried Jimmy's Food Store or Cindi's Deli? Cindi's pastrami, onion and swiss sandwich rocks. The hot corned beef is my fall back.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:20 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,537 times
I loved Zolis on Davis.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:44 PM

29 posts, read 23,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
"With so much development in Wylie, I'm surprised there are not more bar/restaurants offering international cuisines, live music, cocktails..."

Huh?

In Wylie?

You have got to be KIDDING!

There's nothing wrong with Wylie, but to expect a bedroom community/sprawl exurb to look like Lower Greenville is just completely divorced from reality.

I mean, how come there aren't any good Jewish delis in Monahans, Texas?
Hilarious but true!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:30 PM

201 posts, read 237,424 times
Quote:
I am relatively new to the area so I don't mean this as a criticism but more questioning: Why are there so few "non chain" restaurants in Wylie and North Dallas area in general? I really like the area except that when I want a night out that includes drinks and a great meal, I have to drive to downtown Dallas or up to McKinney. Yeah there are one or two individually owned restaurants in downtown Wylie but they are more family style basic American staples, not the kind of place for a night out. With so much development in Wylie, I'm surprised there are not more bar/restaurants offering international cuisines, live music, cocktails; basically places for adults to enjoy an evening out. And with two large lakes nearby; Lake Lavon and Lake Ray Wylie Hubbard in Rockwell, why haven't bar restaurants sprung up on the water front? Just seems like the area could easily support such venues. Curious from long time residents why these businesses don't exist.
I live in Wylie and any of this does not surprise me. Like others mentioned it is a bedroom community so we cannot expect non-chain restaurants and walkable shopping places.

What I am curious wrt Wylie is the increasing interest by Pakistani community in house buying. I have friends from Pakistan so please don't judge. Just trying to understand the trend.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:37 PM

12 posts, read 17,971 times
I have found this thread rather entertaining!! We are moving to Murphy in about a month and I am nervous about the lack of things to do for my family of 5!! We are moving from the Frisco area where there is something to do at every corner. Has Wylie grown much? We fell in love with Murphy because it has a lot of parks around and our home is on a nice size lot. We have heard great things about Wylie ISD (which is where the kids will go).

Does Wylie have a fun downtown area? Do they have festivals?

Old 03-18-2017, 05:25 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
What I don't get is, Plano, which is essentially a bedroom community has tons of bars and restaurants with ethnic food options that are not just fast food chains. You can't even find a restaurant in Wylie that serves wine. We simply understand that for dinner we have to drive to McKinney, Dallas, Or Plano unless we want a chain Mexican restaurant. And all the new businesses coming in are the same! How many Bueno Taco and Chick Filets can one community support? We would be happy with one upscale restaurant that serves a decent bottle of wine pared with a good meal.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:37 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Southfork Steak and Crab?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas