Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 03:49 PM

15 posts, read 22,027 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Having a new home built by a builder(Beazer). They poured the slab recently and I noticed some surface cracks and some are going deep vertically into the soil. Is it common OR something I should concern and get a home inspection.

Would greatly appreciate your input.

Below are the Images and If they are not clear, Please use the URLs for better images.

https://postimg.org/image/bmg94n2tz/
https://postimg.org/image/alg0filuf/
https://postimg.org/image/pvfvmphcn/

Last edited by Plano77; 07-04-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 03:53 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
What you posted looks fine. A slab can have small, fine cracks. The tension cables are designed to prevent those cracks from getting larger.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Katana49, Thanks for your quick reply. Not sure you saw the links I posted(I just updated it) which has clear images. Anyway do you think the deep cracks into the soil also common?

Old 07-04-2016, 04:45 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
What you posted looks fine. A slab can have small, fine cracks. The tension cables are designed to prevent those cracks from getting larger.
Agreed

Also if this is that big of a problem, Beazer has 10 year foundation warranty

Old 07-04-2016, 06:03 PM

188 posts, read 230,700 times
During the building of my house I forced a stop-work on the house and had an independent company rule on the slab. You can probably do the same. I would *not* be happy seeing what I see. Google "Hydration cracks concrete" for information.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:30 PM

110 posts, read 168,428 times
I'm no expert, but I would definitely be concerned enough to have someone come out and look at that.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:36 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano77 View Post
Hi,

Having a new home built by a builder(Beazer). They poured the slab recently and I noticed some surface cracks and some are going deep vertically into the soil. Is it common OR something I should concern and get a home inspection.

Would greatly appreciate your input.

Below are the Images and If they are not clear, Please use the URLs for better images.

https://postimg.org/image/bmg94n2tz/
https://postimg.org/image/alg0filuf/
https://postimg.org/image/pvfvmphcn/
First off you should always have a home inspection in phases for a new build. I find many, many issues during inspections some small and some significant. Passing on phase inspections by an Inspector of your choice, and qualified to perform new construction inspections, can leave you with hidden issues.

On your cracking issue if concrete is properly mixed, delivered on time, poured and handled properly, and controlled afterward then cracking is minimal to none. Unfortunately that is not how it works here and cracking becomes common. These cracks appear to be common shrinkage cracks which because of the lack of control over the factors above are common.

In most cases shrinkage cracks do not become a significant problem. In the case of these cracks the item of concern would be the location of that crack down the middle of the Post Tension Cable location. If it has not already been performed those cables will be placed under tension to perform their function. That can place a great deal of point stress at the location of that cable as it is mounted in a bracket buried in the concrete. The bracket itself is approximately 2" from the surface of the concrete. When they stress the cable if the concrete has been weakened at that point (due to cracking or other causes) it is unpredictable what would happen.

For now you should voice your concern to the builder and you should watch that area closely, as well as other cracked areas, particularly after they stress the cable to ensure the concrete does not become more damaged.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 PM

Thanks all for your responses. I am planning to have a third party engineer inspect it. In the mean time, I contacted the builder and this is the message I got.

"The cables on your slab are schedule to be stressed soon once they are stressed a lot of the cracks will close up. I am not seeing anything that is alarming"

Not sure how cracks are gone after the cables are stressed.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Cracking is part of the curing process of concrete. Those are normal cracks.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:51 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano77 View Post
Thanks all for your responses. I am planning to have a third party engineer inspect it. In the mean time, I contacted the builder and this is the message I got.

"The cables on your slab are schedule to be stressed soon once they are stressed a lot of the cracks will close up. I am not seeing anything that is alarming"

Not sure how cracks are gone after the cables are stressed.
The cables that have been run through the slab (encased in concrete) are wrapped in a plastic sheath that prevents the concrete from bonding to them (called unbonded tendons). Once the concrete cures to the proper strength (specified by the slab engineering process) the cables are tensioned (stretched) and small wedges/clamps added to the stressing end to lock them into the cable mounting brackets buried in the concrete. If the slab attempts to shift out of its intended plane at a crack point the cables act like a tight rubber band to pull it back together or prevent it from shifting.

The cracks you see will not be "gone" but instead will only "close up"/come back together at the crack point. Under many conditions this is not an issue. It's not until the excessive movement occurs that it becomes and issue. The design and preparation of both the pad site (ground) and the foundation are intended to prevent the "excessive movement" situations and significant issues from the cracking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas