Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,526 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I will be moving to the Dallas area in the next month. My husbands job is in Westlake and we are looking at the different towns to live in that have a vibrant Catholic Church Community. I know St. Ann's in Coppell is very active but are there others? I would be looking for Mothers Groups, Young Married groups, Contemporary music, things like that.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Haha, did you happen to post in the young Catholic mother's facebook group? If so, I'd echo the same thing I wrote there--check out Keller (St. Elizabeth Ann Seton) and maybe Grapveine (St. Francis)

St. Anns is fantastic, but not fantastic enough to be 30 minutes away from every mass and event. And honestly, as a parishioner I can tell you there is a bit of "We are the bees knees in everything"when in reality you will find vibrant Catholic communities all over DFW. Since we live in Coppell, we go to St. Anns, but I really miss the smaller parishes of my youth--it can be hard to find your place in a church as big as St. Anns.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:20 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
SEAS in Keller is known for being more conservative among the parishes in the mid cities. It's really going to depend on where y'all end up living. I will say I was cheered to read in the North TX Catholic newsletter that Fr Gary Picou will be headed to SEAS as he is a younger, more positive, upbeat person that I think will help that parish. We attend Good Shepherd in Colleyville- it is in the middle of a huge obnoxious building project that we aren't in favor of (and actually switched parishes over) but after a year of our boys not seeing any friends at church we went back. Same issue at GSCC as mSooner mentioned at St Ann's- it's a big community and difficult to get plugged in unless you are a self starter. We went to sign up for the vocations icon and every mass was taken for the next 6 months. St Francis in Grapevine supposedly has a phenomenal priest who was a sniper in the military (not sure which branch). One of the older priests at GSCC, Fr Ronald, is a wonderful, funny, thoughtful homilist and we are always so glad when it is his turn. Fr Richard is very dry and blunt but has his moments. He is a fundraiser for sure. Fr Jonathan is younger and is ok- I think he does well in the community and esp working w/ the large youth group but his homily style is on the light side for my taste. Feel free to PM!

Old 07-07-2016, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,526 times
Msooner Lol Yes, I did. I am trying to get others opinions as well Thank you so much for your input. We are still not sure where we will end up yet but having an involved community is really important to me so I am trying to get a feel for what is where and so forth

4movingeast - Thank you also for your info. From what I am told SEAS seems to be more orthodox and my husband and I tend to enjoy a more contemporary church. We will be staying in the Keller area for temporary housing so I look forward to checking it out as it looks like an absolute beautiful church

Old 07-12-2016, 03:38 PM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
.. St Francis in Grapevine supposedly has a phenomenal priest who was a sniper in the military (not sure which branch)....!
that's Fr. Flynn; a great priest, and yes, he used to be a sniper (so stay on his good side!)

Ft Worth diocese has many great parishes, and most are growing/exploding;
most parishes have different mass 'flavors' at different times; orthodox 9am, contemporary 11am, lifeteen 5pm, so there can be plenty of variety even within a single parish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas