Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:44 PM

769 posts, read 782,439 times

Advertisements

Of course you were making an argument. A very primitive one.
And yes it is relevant who abused power. Killing a DART cop or any LEO is madness. There is no acceptable explanation. The killer was totally crazy and evil.

You engage in awful stereotyping that you try to make pretty by claiming that not all LEOs are bad but you are fooling no one. It is clear that you are biased.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:02 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,944 times
This is terrible. I know this guy was upset, I'm upset, about the recent killings of the black men by white police officers and the much bigger problem of brutality and unfair treatment against communities of color that was has been going on for a long time, (Locally, I think about the McKinney pool party last year where a white cop pulled a gun out on unarmed kids and threw a black girl to the ground like a rag-doll) but what this lone-wolf did was devastating. What he showed last night was that he wasn't any better than these cops and vigilante citizens we've been hearing about on a seemingly regular basis over the years. An eye for an eye just makes people blind literally and figuratively to all the issues and the root causes of those issues in America that manifest themselves in police shootings and massing shooting like last night in Dallas.

I was watching cable news, which I don't do as much of anymore(and better for it) but had to turn on the television to see what was going on in my hometown and heard that there are more white people everyday in American that are pulled over, questioned and arrested and cops are able to deescalate those situations all the time, but when it comes to African-Americans and Hispanics there are proportionally more cases of brutality and killings. This makes me think, it goes to police officers not living in these area in which they patrol. When you don't look like, live around or socialize with those you patrol, it's hard to think of this person as an equal and that their live is just and valuable as yours, especially when you're in a tense situation. Many don't like to admit it but because of the way all of us have been socialized there is this unconscious prejudice that we all have, in varying degrees of course, towards each other that we have to consciously fight against each day. Cops bring that thinking with them everyday just like us, and just like the majority of us those good cops are able to let there training take over in the heat of the moment and not that their emotions or possible bias. Cops around the country are getting a bad rep and I believe more good cops should expose and speak out against those bad seeds in departments. Just like this no snitching rule is stupid, this code of protecting the shield and band of brothers mentality should stop as well, and that goes for DA's offices too, because of their close relationship with law enforcement, sometimes their judgement to prosecute or not is clouded even when there is a "winnable" case. We should strengthen protections for whistle-blowers so the overwhelming majority of officers who do the right thing everyday shouldn't fear for any type of retribution within the department for speaking out on any wrong-doing.

Getting back to last night, to have this done to innocent DPD and DART officers is just sickening. No law enforcement department is perfect but this was the wrong way and certainly the wrong department for this nut to take his anger out on. I don't know if anyone has noticed throughout the last couple of years since these killings have been reported but at the time, all of the police chiefs of these towns were white. Not to say that a town has to have a police chief of color to avoid these types of senseless killing but maybe other departments can take a lead from DPD- I'm not for certain but maybe the type of sensitivity training or deescalation training done at DPD, and more importantly the emphasis put on that training is something other departments can model. Dallas has been at the forefront over the last 6 years I have been reading concerning department accountability and being more transparent, giving their officers more body cameras and the aforementioned training, before it was a must. Police related shootings in Dallas have dropped over the years as well as complaints against the department.

Also from all accounts I've read from those marching last night to the local new outlets, those involved in the Black Lives Matter movement and Dallas Police Department have a great relationship and there was mutual respect which makes last nights shooting by this gunman who hijacked a peaceful protest to kill innocent lives all the more sad.
Thoughts and prayers are obviously with those officers, civilians and their loved ones that were affected by this event.

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 07-08-2016 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 02:02 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're hiding behind a computer screen spouting this stuff. Tell you what - head on down from Seattle to the Dallas Police Department or Parkland or Baylor hospitals and say that in person to the families and loved ones of the victims of this senseless rampage.

This cannot be justified. Martin Luther King, Jr would have been absolutely appalled by the actions of a very small minority on either side of this equation and there's no way that either extreme can be condoned.

I refuse to make excuses for murderers.

Ironically the DPD and the local BLM groups have had a very cooperative relationship over the years. Dallas is not a hotbed of racial tension. And I think back to the few interactions I've had with the DPD (I was involved in a wreck on 635 a few years ago) and without exception they were professional, polite, helpful and even kind.

Heartbreaking - and shame on ANYONE from ANY sector (you included in case there's any doubt on that) for politicizing this tragic event.
Sadly, City-Data won't let me rep you for this post. Well said.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:13 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ironically the DPD and the local BLM groups have had a very cooperative relationship over the years. Dallas is not a hotbed of racial tension. And I think back to the few interactions I've had with the DPD (I was involved in a wreck on 635 a few years ago) and without exception they were professional, polite, helpful and even kind.
This is what surprised me the most. The DPD has done a great job of getting involved with the community, being transparent, implementing body cams, and decreasing people killed by cops year after year. Not that any police department should be targeted of course, but the shooters didn't even do a bit of homework. Even evil groups like ISIS usually target places that pass laws affecting them or whoever is supporting their enemies. To attack a police department that supports the Black Lives Matter movement was a huge mistake and a win for cops who really are bad so that they may justify their thinking.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:42 PM

198 posts, read 174,802 times
I think the movement should be renamed to All Lives Matter.
Innocent police officers were killed yesterday.
There are courts designed to give justice to bad people.
People should trust the process and demand for severe punishment for those who found guilty in doing wrong in line of duty. They can demand the lawmakers to bring strict laws for those found guilty.
People should demand right things from politicians rather than fighting among themselves.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:53 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
My thoughts and prayers to those officers who lost their lives. What is this world coming to????

Old 07-08-2016, 03:26 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
This is terrible. I know this guy was upset, I'm upset, about the recent killings of the black men by white police officers and the much bigger problem of brutality and unfair treatment against communities of color that was has been going on for a long time, (Locally, I think about the McKinney pool party last year where a white cop pulled a gun out on unarmed kids and threw a black girl to the ground like a rag-doll) but what this lone-wolf did was devastating. What he showed last night was that he wasn't any better than these cops and vigilante citizens we've been hearing about on a seemingly regular basis over the years. An eye for an eye just makes people blind literally and figuratively to all the issues and the root causes of those issues in America that manifest themselves in police shootings and massing shooting like last night in Dallas.

I was watching cable news, which I don't do as much of anymore(and better for it) but had to turn on the television to see what was going on in my hometown and heard that there are more white people everyday in American that are pulled over, questioned and arrested and cops are able to deescalate those situations all the time, but when it comes to African-Americans and Hispanics there are proportionally more cases of brutality and killings. This makes me think, it goes to police officers not living in these area in which they patrol. When you don't look like, live around or socialize with those you patrol, it's hard to think of this person as an equal and that their live is just and valuable as yours, especially when you're in a tense situation. Many don't like to admit it but because of the way all of us have been socialized there is this unconscious prejudice that we all have, in varying degrees of course, towards each other that we have to consciously fight against each day. Cops bring that thinking with them everyday just like us, and just like the majority of us those good cops are able to let there training take over in the heat of the moment and not that their emotions or possible bias. Cops around the country are getting a bad rep and I believe more good cops should expose and speak out against those bad seeds in departments. Just like this no snitching rule is stupid, this code of protecting the shield and band of brothers mentality should stop as well, and that goes for DA's offices too, because of their close relationship with law enforcement, sometimes their judgement to prosecute or not is clouded even when there is a "winnable" case. We should strengthen protections for whistle-blowers so the overwhelming majority of officers who do the right thing everyday shouldn't fear for any type of retribution within the department for speaking out on any wrong-doing.

Getting back to last night, to have this done to innocent DPD and DART officers is just sickening. No law enforcement department is perfect but this was the wrong way and certainly the wrong department for this nut to take his anger out on. I don't know if anyone has noticed throughout the last couple of years since these killings have been reported but at the time, all of the police chiefs of these towns were white. Not to say that a town has to have a police chief of color to avoid these types of senseless killing but maybe other departments can take a lead from DPD- I'm not for certain but maybe the type of sensitivity training or deescalation training done at DPD, and more importantly the emphasis put on that training is something other departments can model. Dallas has been at the forefront over the last 6 years I have been reading concerning department accountability and being more transparent, giving their officers more body cameras and the aforementioned training, before it was a must. Police related shootings in Dallas have dropped over the years as well as complaints against the department.

Also from all accounts I've read from those marching last night to the local new outlets, those involved in the Black Lives Matter movement and Dallas Police Department have a great relationship and there was mutual respect which makes last nights shooting by this gunman who hijacked a peaceful protest to kill innocent lives all the more sad.
Thoughts and prayers are obviously with those officers, civilians and their loved ones that were affected by this event.
Rep point to you for a clear-headed, sympathetic, and even-handed post. Too often I find myself at a loss why so many people don't understand that you can be against bad cops and a racist criminal justice system and at the same time respect and support the cops who are doing it the right way. This is not an either/or situation. But we've become so polarized that people think it is, and as soon as you support BLM, for instance, you hate all cops. Nope. You only hate the ratchet ones who don't do their jobs and the system that lets them get away with it. And at the same time you also hate the crazies who go out and assassinate policeman. May the criminal justice system improve. And may the families and friends of the five dead police somehow find solace.

Last edited by citylove101; 07-08-2016 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 04:35 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Hey mod, this is getting real ugly real quickly.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:09 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Hey mod, this is getting real ugly real quickly.
There are several different reports filed on this thread by several different people.

I'm going to close this for the time being for moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas