Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 11,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsby View Post
I'm of the philosophy that any home purchase is not an investment but a liability. That said, we all have to live somewhere, right? Not all people want to live a fiscally conservative lifestyle, and to define that as unwise is inaccurate. Some don't mind hour drives to grocery stores but love acres of land, others prefer small spaces in dense urban environments. Everyone should evaluate all the information and make decisions they can live with. Each is free to use whichever criteria they deem helpful. The reality is all home purchases are a risk and a liability. There are many paths to becoming a happy and wise home owner.
I agree with what you're saying, but I know that $400k at this point in time is just too much of a stretch for us. To be honest, I'm even scared to look at $350K, but I agree you have trade-offs and people pay for what they want. I just hope to be in a place that I want and still be able to do things with my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 04:17 PM

112 posts, read 314,710 times
My husband and I are in the same income bracket. We have a nice, but older 3 bed/2 bath house purchased for under $140K 6 years ago. Houses in my neighborhood are still affordable now at $180-210K. Look at Central Plano, around Parker/Custer/Alma. Not everyone is super wealthy on these boards.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:59 AM

55 posts, read 53,990 times
We used these boards to help find a home, and our combined salary is also 100K. We looked in Plano, Carrollton and Flower Mound with a budget of 200-250,000. I won't lie, houses went quick in this price range, but there are homes. For your location in DISD, I'd second other posters who suggested Central or East Plano and Richardson. My first thought was Richardson, since the commute would be easier, but I know you have family in Plano.

The home we rented in Plano while we were house hunting is now for sale. It's near Custer and Parker (zoned Houston elementary) and is listed fro under 250K. So I know there are homes in that price range zoned with good schools in that area.

Also, please please don't take anything to heart about you living in a different school district than you work. That's nonsense. Most teacher I know live in different areas than they teach. My mom teaches in Oak Cliff and lives in Waxahachie. She loves her school and what she does, but she also loves where she lives and where her friends and social life is.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgJack View Post
Also, please please don't take anything to heart about you living in a different school district than you work. That's nonsense. Most teacher I know live in different areas than they teach. My mom teaches in Oak Cliff and lives in Waxahachie. She loves her school and what she does, but she also loves where she lives and where her friends and social life is.
This.

Teachers aren't the highest-paid people around and sometimes it's just not possible to live where you work. I know a lady whose husband is a DISD teacher; they live in Frisco. I know people who work in RISD who don't live in Richardson. I even know an HPISD teacher who lives in Dallas because (obvs) she and her husband can't afford to live in the Park Cities.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Owning a home is not mandatory. Some people live just fine as renters.

Besides, OP is a part of a household with a combined income of over $100,000 per year. That's pretty decent.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:24 PM

138 posts, read 216,616 times
You can find smaller older homes in most suburbs for under $300k.

You won't find much of anything on the newer or completely updated side of things in most suburbs for that price.

If you want new for less than $300k a commute will likely be involved. If you want a larger newer/new home, and teach in south or west Dallas, Forney would get you the best bang for buck and a reasonable commute.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 PM

450 posts, read 555,711 times
$300k is doable, $250k would be better. Go for 2.5x income max.

Please don't try to keep up with the Jones's. There are a lot of them out there.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:35 PM

246 posts, read 416,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
$300k is doable, $250k would be better. Go for 2.5x income max.

Please don't try to keep up with the jones's. There are a lot of them out there.
x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: