U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2016, 12:33 AM
 
572 posts, read 432,518 times
Reputation: 1188

Advertisements

Obviously it's not the last generation. But the demographic and economic trend suggest the z guys will be a generation in worse economic conditions than the millenials of today. Low wages and student debt loads will continue, so housing affordability is an issue. Spending will continue to be dominated by older folks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:08 AM
 
5,258 posts, read 3,127,823 times
Reputation: 6852
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
Obviously it's not the last generation. But the demographic and economic trend suggest the z guys will be a generation in worse economic conditions than the millenials of today. Low wages and student debt loads will continue, so housing affordability is an issue. Spending will continue to be dominated by older folks.
This is an interesting debate. I see all the construction in Uptown and wonder where future demand will come from. A lot of Generation Y/Millennials are having to double up and live in 2 bedroom places to make it work financially to live in Uptown.

I believe that Generation Z (late 90s-2010) and Generation Alpha (2010s births) will be worse off than Generation Y, a generation that has already been worse off than the Baby Boomers and Generation X.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 09:35 AM
 
118 posts, read 224,085 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Look at the two and five year trends.
This is just the beginning. Eventually the price will drop 40%.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM
 
11,042 posts, read 11,098,003 times
Reputation: 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by accent2010 View Post
This is just the beginning. Eventually the price will drop 40%.
What makes you say that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 01:11 PM
 
Location: plano
7,484 posts, read 9,223,740 times
Reputation: 7162
2017 will e a strong season for selling homes in the northern suburbs due to major relocation to legacy west. Salaries are up but nit like hone prices in 2917. So less in 2017 afterwards only God knows.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 03:22 PM
 
118 posts, read 224,085 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
What makes you say that?
Housing prices shouldn't be higher than 2007 when everyone got loans easily. The current market is not healthy and will be corrected soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 04:10 PM
 
12,449 posts, read 24,121,519 times
Reputation: 11639
Quote:
Originally Posted by accent2010 View Post
Housing prices shouldn't be higher than 2007 when everyone got loans easily. The current market is not healthy and will be corrected soon.
Have you tried to get a loan or refi lately? If you had, you would know that today's lending environment is completely different than 2007.

As I'Ve said before, DFW is fundamentally a different metro area than it was in 2007. An expectation that home prices should be flat to 2007 is wholly unrealistic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 05:24 PM
 
11,042 posts, read 11,098,003 times
Reputation: 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by accent2010 View Post
Housing prices shouldn't be higher than 2007 when everyone got loans easily. The current market is not healthy and will be corrected soon.
1. According to whom?

2. Try that in a economics classroom. Just for grins cycle back through "real" home prices here in Dallas in the early 1980s relative to now and report back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 07:32 PM
 
12,449 posts, read 24,121,519 times
Reputation: 11639
Quote:
Originally Posted by accent2010 View Post
Housing prices shouldn't be higher than 2007 when everyone got loans easily. The current market is not healthy and will be corrected soon.
Also, consider that $1 in 2007 is worth $.86 today. So if home prices were still flat to 2007, they would actually be worth less.

DFW's home prices historically rise about 3% per year. The median sale price in 2007 was $146k. It's $210k as of May 2016. That's only an average of 4.8% per year increase since 2007, not even 2X the historical rate of appreciation. You also have to remember that home prices did not fall as far as they did in other parts of the country because Texas has stricter lending laws as a result of the real estate bust in the 1980's.

Even without taking into account the massive explosion of jobs and relocations to DFW in the past 9 years, ab average of 4.8% growth per year in an ascending market is hardly worth setting off alarms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 AM
 
118 posts, read 224,085 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Also, consider that $1 in 2007 is worth $.86 today. So if home prices were still flat to 2007, they would actually be worth less.

DFW's home prices historically rise about 3% per year. The median sale price in 2007 was $146k. It's $210k as of May 2016. That's only an average of 4.8% per year increase since 2007, not even 2X the historical rate of appreciation. You also have to remember that home prices did not fall as far as they did in other parts of the country because Texas has stricter lending laws as a result of the real estate bust in the 1980's.

Even without taking into account the massive explosion of jobs and relocations to DFW in the past 9 years, ab average of 4.8% growth per year in an ascending market is hardly worth setting off alarms.
Housing price peaked in 2007. If your number is correct, $146k in 2007 would be $167k in 2016. It's way less than current $210k. Keep it in mind, in 2007, even a stripper can buy several houses with several loans. It doesn't make any sense that current housing price is way higher than last peak.
Yes, there are some jobs moving here but RadioShake is bankrupted, JCP will be the next. Oil companies are not doing good either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top