U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 01:09 PM

5,332 posts, read 3,933,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I mean you absolutely no harm when I point this out, but of course DFW is "still affordable" to you; you moved here from Westchester County, NY!!!!!

It's those of us who are middle class, native Texans/Southerners and lower Midwesterners who are rapidly getting priced out of DFW, and the huge and rapid influx of people to DFW from much more expensive parts of the country like NY, Chicago, and particularly California is the reason why.

There is a thread on here right now on the front page of the Dallas Forum where a woman who is a school teacher and has a combined household income of $100,000 is struggling to find a decent home to buy that's not 30+ years old, not in the middle of the hood, or not darn near in Oklahoma. Her story has become typical in DFW these days, and I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous (especially considering this is Texas we're talking about here), and when things get that bad that quickly, then something has to give.
I actually have more of a complaint with salaries than cost of living. Like others have said, DFW is a big city (even though I don't even begin to compare it to places like Chicago, NYC, Philly, and Boston), so it only makes sense that housing prices match the size of the city.

Yes, it's expensive to live in Chicago. However, salaries are often comparable to make up for the cost of living.

However, salaries in DFW have not increased at the same rate as housing. If you were making $50,000 two years ago and are making the same salary in 2016, you've essentially lost money because I'm sure your rent has increased at least $100/mo in two years, or your property taxes have increased by 10% every year.

I work for UT-Arlington and my coworkers have not gotten a salary increase in years. Makes me understand why they live in Waxahachie and Crowley. They can't afford to live within 30mins of Arlington
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM

4,369 posts, read 4,701,847 times
Quote:
I work for UT-Arlington and my coworkers have not gotten a salary increase in years. Makes me understand why they live in Waxahachie and Crowley.
There is a great divide occurring and there is one set of people that get salary increases and one set that doesn't and their occupations' salaries are stagnating. It's not location-dependent.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:18 PM

12,449 posts, read 24,121,519 times
Quote:
I mean you absolutely no harm when I point this out, but of course DFW is "still affordable" to you; you moved here from Westchester County, NY!!!!!

It's those of us who are middle class, native Texans/Southerners and lower Midwesterners who are rapidly getting priced out of DFW, and the huge and rapid influx of people to DFW from much more expensive parts of the country like NY, Chicago, and particularly California is the reason why.

There is a thread on here right now on the front page of the Dallas Forum where a woman who is a school teacher and has a combined household income of $100,000 is struggling to find a decent home to buy that's not 30+ years old, not in the middle of the hood, or not darn near in Oklahoma. Her story has become typical in DFW these days, and I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous (especially considering this is Texas we're talking about here), and when things get that bad that quickly, then something has to give.
I just went back and re-read that thread. The poster was struggling to find a home in PLANO, one of the fastest growing and most affluent parts of the metoplex. We gave her many suggestions of where she could easily afford a home - and meet her commute and other needs- she had not researched the many options we gave her because she was so fixated on Plano.

This is not the best place to live if you feel you are ENTITLED to a new or super updated starter home on a $100k HHI. There is a BIG difference between not being able to afford anything in a safe, well-kept neighborhood and not being able to afford a Barbie dream house or to live in the most sought after neighborhoods. The median house price in the Dallas area is $230k so someone with a $100k HHI can still afford well over half the homes in the metroplex. You don't have to live in the hood or in Oklahoma to find a $250-300k home here.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 08-02-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 01:35 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I just went back and re-read that thread. The poster was struggling to find an home in PLANO, one of the fastest growing and most affluent parts of the metoplex. We gave her many suggestions of where she could easily afford a home - and meet her commute and other needs- but she "poo-pooed" most of them.

This is not the best place to live if you feel you are ENTITLED to a new or super updated starter home on a $100k HHI. There is a BIG difference between not being able to afford anything in a safe, well-kept neighborhood and not being able to afford a Barbie dream house.
Well you must have been reading a different thread then. In the one I read, the original poster mentioned Plano, but was open to suggestions in other areas as well, including suggestions that you made. But the OP mostly got attacked and ganged up on for being a teacher and daring to expect to live in a decent neighborhood with safe affordable homes.

Now, you are accusing people who make professional salaries and seek nice, safe, affordable housing of feeling "entitled," but that's the other thing about the rapidly growing cost of living in DFW; it's breeding a lot of snobbishness and class division. For instance, the folks on here being sarcastic about living in a $650,000+ 50 year old home in an upper class enclave like Southlake vs. a $250,000 or less, cheaper made, 50 year old home in a less desirable area within, say, Dallas city limits.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:36 PM

117 posts, read 159,759 times
Mine was built in 1962.

I grew up in Charleston, lived in SF, Charlotte, Nashville and now in Dallas. I've never lived in a new house, ever. Newest for me was one about 10 years old in Nashville. I've always thought the new builds, production homes mind you, were all built shoddy and made of plastic. I know that's a generalization but new homes to me just don't seem to be built the same as old ones.

We live near Hockaday and wanted to live in a ranch home. My wife and I both work from home with offices Uptown as needed but my #1 peeve is traffic. No way in hell would i spend 2 hours a day driving. I'll take a smaller home on the same size lot any day.

We've only been here for 4 years and in that time our house has appreciated far more than I would have suspected. Not super happy about that because we have no plans on leaving. I do feel bad for those coming in from the south and Midwest because they are getting priced out.

Lastly, and sorry to run on. We have friends who are involved in the Windsong Ranch development in Prosper. We've been to visit and while the pool and amenities are nice there's no way in hell i could live that far out. The lots are smaller than what i have in Dallas proper and there are no mature trees. Also, and i think people don't realize this. They will be competing with new home builds for decades if they ever try to sell. At least when you live in town there just isn't available land to place new homes on for years.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I actually have more of a complaint with salaries than cost of living. Like others have said, DFW is a big city (even though I don't even begin to compare it to places like Chicago, NYC, Philly, and Boston), so it only makes sense that housing prices match the size of the city.

Yes, it's expensive to live in Chicago. However, salaries are often comparable to make up for the cost of living.

However, salaries in DFW have not increased at the same rate as housing. If you were making $50,000 two years ago and are making the same salary in 2016, you've essentially lost money because I'm sure your rent has increased at least $100/mo in two years, or your property taxes have increased by 10% every year.

I work for UT-Arlington and my coworkers have not gotten a salary increase in years. Makes me understand why they live in Waxahachie and Crowley. They can't afford to live within 30mins of Arlington
This is a valid point as well.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
it's breeding a lot of snobbishness and class division.
What? Major class divisions always have existed in Dallas.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
What? Major class divisions always have existed in Dallas.
Exactly, but it's to like the 100th power now with the rapidly rising cost of living in DFW these days (which is the topic at hand, not how old all the snobs' highly appraised, upper class neighborhood, suburban and historic district houses are).

Old 08-02-2016, 01:58 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,617,910 times
Quote:
Exactly, but it's to like the 100th power now with the rapidly rising cost of living in DFW these days (which is the topic at hand, not how old all the snobs' highly appraised, upper class neighborhood, suburban and historic district houses are).
What bothers me is the attitude, e.g. "Well if they'd only gone to a better school/studied more/got a better job/made more money/etc. then they could afford dotdotdot...."

In the meantime, someone has to teach the kids (and teachers at private schools favored by the elite usually make less than public schoolteachers), police the streets, drive the ambulances, put pills in prescription bottles, draw blood for tests, work the front office at the doctor, etc. These are all jobs that require education beyond high school, jobs that are generally well-respected, and jobs that are necessary for the first-world lifestyle we all enjoy...but these people are also getting priced out of Dallas's core if they want a safe neighborhood with good schools. How DARE they make less money? I mean, really...how DARE they?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Exactly, but it's to like the 100th power now with the rapidly rising cost of living in DFW these days
No it is not. That's your opinion of it. Dallas had real segregation in the past and was a super violent city through the '90s but somehow it's worse now? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas