U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,179,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. I live in Dallas and on a day to day basis rarely leave the city.
2. Your send paragraph is just bogus. Except for one beer bar that I really like in Plano and to meet friends who live in the 'burbs I rarely go to the 'burbs for anything - at least not regularly. The best shopping, nightlife, hotels, restaurants, and cultural spots are in Dallas not the 'burbs. Arguing otherwise underscores your misconception(s).
I live way out and couldn't find any logic in that second paragraph.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 12:51 PM

779 posts, read 2,093,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
Dallas has really "grown up" economically, but I disagree with you that its "on par" with Chicago in most measures today. For non work considerations, Chicago is a way better city to live in. More culture, better nightlife, way better public transit and walkability, Lake Michigan, etc. Maybe DFW will use its expanding tax base to build some of the things Chicago has, but I'm skeptical. I do hope that the crime problems on the South side of Chicago don't reach a point though where they start driving out everyone else though.
Not disagreeing with this but I don't think Chicago is the best comparison to DFW for the simple fact that it is much more established and older than this area. I would compare this area to other "new" sunbelt metros like Houston or Atlanta....of course Dallas is now more expensive than both of these cities.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 PM

12,449 posts, read 24,121,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
What do you have to drive to the suburbs for?
If I did not work in a suburb, I can tell you exactly how many times a year I would leave the city of Dallas:

1. Approx 6 times to go to DFW (which isn't really a "destination", but rather a means to get to my destination)
2. Less than 5 times to go to a Rangers game or something at Jerryworld. Probably more like 3 times.
3. 2-3 trips to Fort Worth which isn't a suburb but an actual city that happens to be 30 miles to our west
4. Maybe 2-3 other misc things in the suburbs, like if someone wants to go up to McKinney town square for an afternoon.

So if I didn't work in a suburb, I would physically leave the city of Dallas less than 10 times a year, excluding air travel.

However, if I lived in a suburb and wanted to replicate my life in Dallas, I'd be coming into town A LOT:

1. 50+ trips to eat at non-chain, local restaurants. And good lord I hope no one argues that the restaurants in Plano or Southlake or Allen are on par with what's in Bishop Arts, Lower Greenville, Downtown, Design District, etc.
2. Approx 20 trips to enjoy Dallas' cultural institutions, whether it's an exhibit at the DMA or taking my nephews to the Perot or the Arboretum's Children's Garden or enjoying a show at the Wyly or Winspear. Or events at Klyde Warren Park.
3. Approx 4-6 concerts at The Granada, The Kessler, or other small Dallas venues
4. Approx 4-6 Mavs & Stars games
5. Approx 2-3 events at SMU like the fabulous Tate lecture series

So less than 10 trips TO the suburbs needed but more than 80 trips FROM the suburbs needed. Hmm...

Old 07-14-2016, 01:00 PM

12,449 posts, read 24,121,519 times
Quote:
You realize one has to travel to out of Boston to catch a Patriots game? Same in NYC. I think your reasoning here is dreadful. And The DMA, The Mort, The Nasher, Perot Museum, Love Field and The AAC and many more are all in Dallas and very close to each other?
Exactly! The Meadowlands is in NJ. JFK is technically in NYC but so far out in Brooklyn that it's almost Long Island. This poster makes zero sense.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:03 PM

11,042 posts, read 11,098,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Not disagreeing with this but I don't think Chicago is the best comparison to DFW for the simple fact that it is much more established and older than this area. I would compare this area to other "new" sunbelt metros like Houston or Atlanta....of course Dallas is now more expensive than both of these cities.
Do you know that last part for sure?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:06 PM

5,332 posts, read 3,935,155 times
Here's the thing though... If you live in downtown Chicago, you don't need a car, you can walk anywhere. 99% of your needs will be within a 10 minute walk.

If you live in downtown Dallas, you definitely need a car to go anywhere. Grocery store... miles away. Clothing stores... miles away.

I don't consider Uptown, Oaklawn, etc a true city experience, even though they are in the city limits. Up near 75 and 635 is still in Dallas. Is that a city living experience?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:10 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,179,428 times
You don't consider the most walkable part of Dallas a city experience? It has restaurants, retail, grocery, that you could walk to from your apartment.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:11 PM

515 posts, read 438,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I guess we'll never know until a bubble bursts. I do think that the rent price increases will slow down soon.

I find it hard to believe that people will pay over $1000 a month for a nothing-special 1br apartment in Arlington. I know I will not.
I think you are getting ripped off at 1000/mo. in Arlington. We just moved into a decent 1 br. in west Arlington for much less. Its perfect for us as we are saving up for a big down payment on a house. The only dilema is where to look, DW works in east FW, and I work in west Dallas. So many options....

It didn't help that we drove around the Fairmont District a week ago and my wife fell in love with the refurbished old homes. Neddless to say, I think we'll be moving to that side of Ft. Worth sometime in the future

Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 PM

779 posts, read 2,093,331 times
Quote:
Do you know that last part for sure?
Yes.

Metropolitan Median Area Prices and Affordability | realtor.org

Old 07-14-2016, 01:15 PM

5,332 posts, read 3,935,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
I think you are getting ripped off at 1000/mo. in Arlington. We just moved into a decent 1 br. in west Arlington for much less. Its perfect for us as we are saving up for a big down payment on a house. The only dilema is where to look, DW works in east FW, and I work in west Dallas. So many options....

It didn't help that we drove around the Fairmont District a week ago and my wife fell in love with the refurbished old homes. Neddless to say, I think we'll be moving to that side of Ft. Worth sometime in the future
I'm only paying $900. But it was one of the few apartment complexes in town that didn't have bad reviews of break-ins, shootings, stabbings, illegal towings, etc.

I found places around $700-800, but the reviews were not great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas