U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:23 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,538,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's funny you mention this. I actually found downtown Houston to be much more livable than downtown Dallas. I don't have any experience with other areas of Houston though.

That being said, Austin and Fort Worth have more livable downtown areas than both Dallas and Houston (which both feel more like business districts).
I feel Downtown Houston and Dallas are about the same. But I do like that Downtown Houston has Minute Maid Park there. The Rangers are shooting themselves in the foot with an Arlington location. Baseball stadiums are best designed for urban and walkable locations. The rest of Houston is definitely lacking in that "city feel." There's no Uptown Dallas, Deep Ellum, Victory Park, or even walkable quasi urban/suburban neighborhoods like Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville, Bishop Arts, etc in Houston. There is some hope for Midtown Houston and areas of Montrose remind me somewhat of Knox-Henderson and Oak Lawn.

Yes, Downtown Austin and Fort Worth are great. But not much of an urban vibe (or even sidewalks!) outside of their downtowns. Yeah the Stockyards are nice, but who lives there? West 7th is still in its infancy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:36 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,538,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty14 View Post
We moved from NJ(after having visited/lived in New York, DC, Philadelphia), my take is:

Cons:

1. Downtown scene is limited. Yes there is uptown area but the nightlife and the general entertainment scene is nowhere close the cities I have mentioned
Downtown scene -- yes it's lackluster, but improving. It's going to take some time, but instead of griping about it, why not become part of the solution? Why not try out some of the new restaurants down there? Meet some of the local residents there? Get involved in the political process. If we want a vibrant downtown, we need to support one! We can't just rely on the residents there.

Nightlife -- this is usually subjective. You can't compare Dallas, the 9th largest city to NYC, the largest city in the U.S. and one of our main entertainment centers. It's so absurd! Same thing with Philly. DC is an interesting one. DC definitely beats Dallas in terms of local, walkable pubs. No questions asked. But your club and lounge style nightlife, I'm not too sure. Again it's all subjective. Dallas has walkable nightlife, but it has a good chunk clubs spread out in unwalkable locations. Deep Ellum is reviving and will be interesting to see what it becomes over the next few years as a vibrant entertainment center and urban neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:10 PM

5,332 posts, read 3,935,155 times
On another note, where should I look for a home in the $150-200K range? I work at UT-Arlington, so I'd like to have a 30min drive or less. From my research, it seems like the HEB area might be my best bet. But even up there it seems hard to find a house in my price range.

I might eventually have to move to a place like Tyler or El Paso to have more affordable housing and stable population growth. Living in Tyler probably won't be any different than living in a small town like Hurst.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:18 PM

141 posts, read 178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Downtown scene -- yes it's lackluster, but improving. It's going to take some time, but instead of griping about it, why not become part of the solution? Why not try out some of the new restaurants down there? Meet some of the local residents there? Get involved in the political process. If we want a vibrant downtown, we need to support one! We can't just rely on the residents there.

Nightlife -- this is usually subjective. You can't compare Dallas, the 9th largest city to NYC, the largest city in the U.S. and one of our main entertainment centers. It's so absurd! Same thing with Philly. DC is an interesting one. DC definitely beats Dallas in terms of local, walkable pubs. No questions asked. But your club and lounge style nightlife, I'm not too sure. Again it's all subjective. Dallas has walkable nightlife, but it has a good chunk clubs spread out in unwalkable locations. Deep Ellum is reviving and will be interesting to see what it becomes over the next few years as a vibrant entertainment center and urban neighborhood.
Yes I am and will be, and I am happy to try new restaurants. Also trying to get my wife to be more open minded to trying new places.

I agree its improving, and for me the pros(better infrastructure, cleanliness, good schools, bettter suburbs, nice people, low crime rate) far outweigh the cons(night life, downtown and below par public transport)

Old 07-14-2016, 05:39 PM

16,931 posts, read 2,167,328 times
Quote:
On another note, where should I look for a home in the $150-200K range? I work at UT-Arlington, so I'd like to have a 30min drive or less. From my research, it seems like the HEB area might be my best bet. But even up there it seems hard to find a house in my price range.

I might eventually have to move to a place like Tyler or El Paso to have more affordable housing and stable population growth. Living in Tyler probably won't be any different than living in a small town like Hurst.

As everyone else - set your priorities. Price, ammenties, walk ability, ....

Old 07-14-2016, 05:50 PM

12,449 posts, read 24,121,519 times
Quote:

You work in a great location for homes in that price range!

Arlington itself- look in the neighborhoods zoned to Martin HS (safe + great public schools)
Mansfield

Old 07-14-2016, 08:04 PM

4,311 posts, read 5,253,397 times
Quote:
Is the DFW area becoming less affordable?
Yes.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 PM

296 posts, read 352,857 times
Quote:

Living in Tyler would be completely different from living in a suburb like Hurst.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,089,653 times
The answer to the OP's question is: YES!!!!!

Blame California.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:01 PM

296 posts, read 352,857 times
Quote:
Here's the thing though... If you live in downtown Chicago, you don't need a car, you can walk anywhere. 99% of your needs will be within a 10 minute walk.

If you live in downtown Dallas, you definitely need a car to go anywhere. Grocery store... miles away. Clothing stores... miles away.

I don't consider Uptown, Oaklawn, etc a true city experience, even though they are in the city limits. Up near 75 and 635 is still in Dallas. Is that a city living experience?
Uptown is one of the most densest, walkable in neighborhoods in Texas. If you don't consider that a "city experience" and you do for Downtown Dallas, you haven't spent a lot of time in both areas. In Uptown, there's grocery stores, clothing stores, etc, that are feet, not miles away. In Uptown, you rarely, if ever, need to go to the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas