U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-15-2016, 01:08 PM
 
2,070 posts, read 1,538,269 times
Reputation: 2396

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I think the biggest issue when I compare Uptown to real cities is that Uptown is a temporary waypoint for young singles in Dallas before they get married have kids, and move on. It's not a true, thriving place to live in the sense that that type of area is for other cities.
There's been an influx of empty nesters to portions of Uptown and Downtown. Some young families have moved in as well. Uptown is growing to the point that certain sections of it are forming their own identities -- State Thomas, West Village, Katy Trail/Turtle Creek, Harwood, Crescent/Lower McKinney, etc. Downtown is similar -- Main Street, Arts District, West End, Farmers Market, etc. You can also throw in Victory Park.

In the case of Downtown, they really need to market the hotspots better. I think many people that visit Downtown end up in the "vertical office park" sections with hardly any life after 5.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2016, 01:22 PM
 
2,070 posts, read 1,538,269 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarAwayNick View Post
I think for Texas natives, Downtown and Uptown are "city experiences" because that's all that's really around. But for anyone who's lived/spent extended periods of time in real major cities, you quickly realize they're simply not in the same realm. Saying Uptown is a true city experience is like saying Firewheel outdoor mall is a true city experience. It's just not.
Uptown is much closer to an actual urban neighborhood than it is to Firewheel Outdoor Mall. You've got to be kidding. It's not like West Village is built in the middle of nothing. Now I know you're trolling! A better comparison to Firewheel would be Shops at Legacy, Southlake Town Center, Addison Circle, etc. I've lived in the Northeast btw. This really discredits most of your post. I can acknowledge that Uptown isn't fully there as far as an urban living experience, but to compare it to an outdoor mall alongside a highway and connected to nothing is absolutely ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 10:24 AM
 
69 posts, read 107,698 times
Reputation: 66
Yes it's becoming unaffordable

The good news is this summer was probably the peak ,and with 10% of all apartments in the country being built in Dallas (50,000 units) rents will likely have to come down.Good time to sell high if you bought low in Dallas .
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 10:52 AM
 
572 posts, read 432,518 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
There's been an influx of empty nesters to portions of Uptown and Downtown. Some young families have moved in as well. Uptown is growing to the point that certain sections of it are forming their own identities -- State Thomas, West Village, Katy Trail/Turtle Creek, Harwood, Crescent/Lower McKinney, etc. Downtown is similar -- Main Street, Arts District, West End, Farmers Market, etc. You can also throw in Victory Park.

In the case of Downtown, they really need to market the hotspots better. I think many people that visit Downtown end up in the "vertical office park" sections with hardly any life after 5.
The rental/condo market in these trendy expensive locations tends to offer 1 bedroom units. By design it caters to singles or childless couples with high incomes. There is some discussion about what will happen to these markets once the glut of millenials age and start their own transition to suburbia to raise children.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 11:45 AM
 
118 posts, read 224,085 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Is the DFW area becoming less affordable?

I'm wanting to buy a house in the next few years and I've seen homes which sold for $150K-$200K are now selling for almost double that price. It's really hard to find a decent home in my price range in Arlington, Mansfield, and HEB areas.

My apartment rent has gone from $750 to $900 in just a few years. Next year I'd imagine I'll be paying around $1000 for a 1br.

This is all in Arlington, which is one of the not-so-desirable parts of the metro.

I guess it seems like the area is no longer affordable to my budget. I wonder if this is a rent and housing bubble or if prices will keep hiking like this for a long time?
It's coming down...
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 01:41 PM
 
1,785 posts, read 2,178,930 times
Reputation: 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by accent2010 View Post
It's coming down...
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Look at the two and five year trends.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:54 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Grapevine, Texas
10,538 posts, read 22,428,002 times
Reputation: 8363
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
The rental/condo market in these trendy expensive locations tends to offer 1 bedroom units. By design it caters to singles or childless couples with high incomes. There is some discussion about what will happen to these markets once the glut of millenials age and start their own transition to suburbia to raise children.
Very good point!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 PM
 
12,449 posts, read 24,121,519 times
Reputation: 11639
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
The rental/condo market in these trendy expensive locations tends to offer 1 bedroom units. By design it caters to singles or childless couples with high incomes. There is some discussion about what will happen to these markets once the glut of millenials age and start their own transition to suburbia to raise children.
Are millenials going to be the last generation on earth? What makes you think GenZ won't be into Uptown once they get out of college?

I'm GenX and I definitely would have lived in Uptown if it existed when I graduated from college (had I also been living in Dallas).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 08:47 PM
 
5,258 posts, read 3,126,417 times
Reputation: 6852
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Are millenials going to be the last generation on earth? What makes you think GenZ won't be into Uptown once they get out of college?

I'm GenX and I definitely would have lived in Uptown if it existed when I graduated from college (had I also been living in Dallas).
I agree. There's no reason to think Gen Z won't be into Uptown. Depending on what definition of Gen Z is, the earliest members are reaching adulthood now.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Dallas,TX
296 posts, read 352,790 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I agree. There's no reason to think Gen Z won't be into Uptown. Depending on what definition of Gen Z is, the earliest members are reaching adulthood now.
If I'm included in Gen Z, born in 1995, then I would definitely say people in my generation desire to live in urban neighborhoods such as Uptown. Many of my friends already live there in the surrounding districts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top