Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 18,339 times

Advertisements

(Note: I say he/she once and then he alone to be gender neutral for privacy.)

We have a kid going into fourth grade. He/She goes to an average school in Richardson in RISD but not as good as other RISD schools.

We have considered moving so he can go to a school where the track is toward a better school like Pearce. Also, because of our current neighborhood he has no neighborhood friends. None at all. He would get a decent education if he stayed where he is but there are social issues at the current elementary.

This is the rub: He has perfect math scores and close to perfect reading scores. He reads at 6 to 7th grade level. We encourage reading but the math is all on his own. In his current school he is clearly above other kids but one or two. He has never gotten anything less than perfect report cards.

We cannot afford private school. Also, we hate the outer suburbs.

We are concerned with both school and the social issues and not school alone.

Here are my questions: Are we missing an educational opportunity for him that we aren't considering?
Should we consider moving somewhere else other than RISD with these scores?
(Do the scores really mean anything?)

Last edited by RedNoseMan; 07-21-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 10:25 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,527 times
[quote=RedNoseMan;44838777]
(Do the scores really mean anything?)[/QUOTE

To this question, i'll say not as much. The scores themselves shouldn't be a primary factor. If a child is smart.... Then he is smart. He will remain so no matter what room of people he finds himself in. However the environment in that room and his personality will shape whether he thrives or not.

I think when dealing with a smart kid, you need to consider what the best overall fit for him would be. Which school do you think he'll be happiest? If he's a social kid, he might do better with a school that provides opportunities to socialize. If he thrives on challenge, a school with lots of other smart kids may do him well while a kid that thrives on accolades may do well being in an environment where he's the smartest kid in class.

Once you've narrowed down what kind of learner you have it also makes narrowing down educational choices easier. If you already know that, sharing more of that info may help you get more specific suggestions of other educational options you might consider.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:33 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
I am not familiar enough with RISD, but have you investigated magnet options within RISD? I know they have some magnet programs for SEM and or TAG type students but I am not really familiar with the specific options, admission criteria, etc.

That wouldn't help your neighborhood friend issue, but might provide a more challenging educational environment and a better social environment at the school.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:16 PM

Good responses so far. Thank you!

I'll answer both at once and hope it isn't too confusing.

I do believe, "If a child is smart.... Then he is smart" as well. I think you hit on another set of points where the answer is the combination of the neighborhood kids his age (which is none) and that he stands out are possibly combining to harm his social development.

Re: Magnets. The Richardson elementary magnet programs, as far as I can tell, don't have intentions which help our situation. It probably would work for the academics somewhat.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:12 PM

208 posts, read 335,727 times
Have you thought about staying in RISD and applying to Arapaho Classical Magnet or Hamilton Park Magnet? I know people with kids at both and they seem happy, they initially didn't want their kids in the "neighborhood" school they were zoned to and those were their alternatives.

It is possible to transfer as well, although it's not a sure thing. You could at least try it. The school you want to transfer to has to have under 90% enrollment for your child's grade though to be open to transfers outside the neighborhood.

Have you talked to the principal about your concerns? Had your child tested to get into the Reach program (talented and gifted)?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:47 PM

tuesday, I appreciate the response. My previous response covers some of what you suggested. Neither ACM or HP really address these problems. This is not just about "going to a good school."

"Have you talked to the principal about your concerns?" Not in the way I asked here but the principal cannot solve the social issues and I am sure the principal will only think in the RISD box. I assume a principal can see his records and why would a principal suggest he go to a different school and lose him?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:02 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNoseMan View Post
tuesday, I appreciate the response. My previous response covers some of what you suggested. Neither ACM or HP really address these problems. This is not just about "going to a good school."

"Have you talked to the principal about your concerns?" Not in the way I asked here but the principal cannot solve the social issues and I am sure the principal will only think in the RISD box. I assume a principal can see his records and why would a principal suggest he go to a different school and lose him?
Based on your responses i'm thinking a move is in your future either way. Now whether that is a transfer to another school that provides more social and academic opportunities or moving to a neighbourhood that provides more social opportunities outside of school will be something to consider.

Obviously moving schools is easier but not always possible. Another thing you could do is sign the child up for extra curricular activities. However it does aound like a bigger more academically rigorous school with more opportunities for socialization is what might work. Big issue will be whether you can get that and stay in your current neighborhood.

If you had to make a move, where would you be open to moving to?

Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
You've received some really good suggestions so far. I just wanted to add another - you say your family can't afford private school. If this is true, then you might consider applying to some as they offer financial aid & scholarships for this very reason! 5th grade is the perfect entry year as its when Lamplighter ends and also when Cistercian begins. St Marks, Greenhill, and Hockaday all expand class sizes in 5th grade since that's where most of the Lamplighter kids matriculate. What do you have to lose by calling the schools' admissions office to see what kind of financial aid your family would qualify for should admissions be granted? Some of these schools with huge endowments have upwards of 30%+ of students on scholarship.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:16 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I grew up in a neighborhood with older houses and mostly older neighbors, so there were few kid SMU age in the neighborhood. My parents encouraged me to do Girl Scouts, science camp, and extracurricular activities at school. I think I ended up very well socialized.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Every choice has some pros and cons so as much as we would like to, it's not possible to make perfect choices. That being said, from my own experiences, going to neighborhood schools is a blessing in many ways. You save on time, have friends around, doesn't need parents to drive you to play dates, can work on projects together, can carpool to sport events etc. It just makes you a part of your community.

Going to a school where you commute makes you a transplant, things aren't never the same even if pretty good.

If you like Richardson then look into academically strong schools at RISD or Plano ISD part of Richardson. You kids is a good student and he can benefit from gifted programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas