Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:53 PM

422 posts, read 517,348 times

Advertisements

I had to reread your original post several times to understand that you were trying to find someone rather than just find a place for someone to hang out. Others were clearly confused as well.

It's certainly worth reaching out to the Salvation Army facility. With this kind of heat, the city is usually offering cooling shelters for people & SA might know where those would be. Unfortunately, the campus is large, with many niches that a resourceful individual might find. Another nearby place would be the complex referred to as Exchange Park, north of UTSW on Harry Hines, but south of Mockingbird Lane. UTSW security patrols this complex also, so it's not likely that he could rest there for long. Just FYI: you can move between all of these locations by free campus shuttle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 07:53 PM

638 posts, read 562,765 times
My mother is 83, She went down in health and we Turners protect her,'

Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 PM

638 posts, read 562,765 times
All Turners are scientists,

Old 07-29-2016, 09:03 PM

9 posts, read 9,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
I had to reread your original post several times to understand that you were trying to find someone rather than just find a place for someone to hang out. Others were clearly confused as well.

It's certainly worth reaching out to the Salvation Army facility. With this kind of heat, the city is usually offering cooling shelters for people & SA might know where those would be. Unfortunately, the campus is large, with many niches that a resourceful individual might find. Another nearby place would be the complex referred to as Exchange Park, north of UTSW on Harry Hines, but south of Mockingbird Lane. UTSW security patrols this complex also, so it's not likely that he could rest there for long. Just FYI: you can move between all of these locations by free campus shuttle.
Thank you, I had no idea when posting that the post would be taken with such negative intent. I did realize it was a bit unclear so tried to edit that which the forum will not allow me to do. Anyhow, I was only asking for help in navigating which you provided, so I appreciate it and will definitely go check the places out that you mentioned. My experience is that he's very friendly so maybe someone will recognize him.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:52 AM

You are welcome. There is another food court in the two-tower medical buildings at Record Crossing and Harry Hines. Also on the campus shuttle route. Be aware that dealing with with SA community is something that campus security has been dealing with for >40 years, so if your friend is the least conspicuous or disruptive, he will have been noticed and perhaps barred (sorry for lack of better phrasing). Good luck.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:57 AM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
The apartment complex is private property though, unlike a city street. I don't think it's against the law to loiter in outdoor public areas. If you make a law against that, you may as well say its illegal to be homeless.
This AM at the gym I asked a DPD cop buddy about loitering and also the homeless.

Hopefully I get this right:
1. Loitering in an of itself, say sitting down on a sidewalk for a period of time is likely legal. However, being in the way of pedestrians, blocking a parking spot, sleeping, dozing, napping, laying down with eyes closed etc. is illegal and DPD writes thousands of tickets per year under the "sleeping in public ordinance".

1.1. Again according to my cop friend, if someone breaks any law related to their loitering.......then loitering becomes a crime. The people in the medians at Parkland have to jaywalk to get to the medians. Ergo their loitering is a crime. Again anyone sleeping or similar, which I see pretty much every time I go there - I volunteer at Parkland regularly and my son is an MS-4 at UTSW so I go to Parkland often, has committed a crime.

My issue with people in the medians around Parkland is multi-fold.
1. People must jaywalk to get into the medians. Jaywalking is dangerous people are killed n Dallas jaywalking regularly. I can't tell you many times I've driven through that area and had to stop or wait for someone to walk to or from one of the medians.
2. If a driver lost control and ran over people in the medians you know as well as I do Dallas County and Parkland would almost certainly be sued.
3. At the end of the day it's simply not safe to be there and it's not safe accessing and leaving the medians.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:19 AM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Parkland PDC have no authority on city streets. I doubt DPD will bother them if not causing trouble.
I asked a DPD buddy about Parkland Police jurisdiction this morning. Parkland Police are licensed Texas Peace Officers as such they have full police powers to arrest statewide. If an arrest is outside of Parkland's jurisdiction the arrestee would be turned over to which ever agency had primary jurisdiction. So the takeaway is Parkland Police absolutely do have authority in city streets.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:49 AM

5,683 posts, read 4,104,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I responded to your first two posts and stand by my comment. You only trotted out the rest of the info after you made it sound like you were seeking a place for him to park. And I'm not the only one who took it that way.
Wow, no willingness to say "Sorry, I misunderstood" or "I didn't see the post where you clarified exactly what you meant before I posted?"

I know this is the internet, but there isn't a rule saying you must always entrench yourself further into your own position at all times. The OP sounds like a nice, honest person who is just trying to find a friend and help that person out. I don't see a need for discussing the merits of what is and is not appropriate for schizophrenic homeless people to do.

Edit to add: I agree that the first post was vague. However, in scenarios in which there is vagueness in conversation, it seems appropriate to either assume the most gracious possible reading of the OP or to clarify. Assuming the worst, responding with a true but misdirected response and then standing by your post even when the OP's intent had already been clarified doesn't seem appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I asked a DPD buddy about Parkland Police jurisdiction this morning. Parkland Police are licensed Texas Peace Officers as such they have full police powers to arrest statewide. If an arrest is outside of Parkland's jurisdiction the arrestee would be turned over to which ever agency had primary jurisdiction. So the takeaway is Parkland Police absolutely do have authority in city streets.
Yes, this has always been my understanding as well. I think this includes most (probably all) college and university police officers, too.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 07-30-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 12:13 PM

You could try is riding the campus shuttle(s) around to see if you can spot an exterior location (median, green space, etc.) where people such as your friend congregate. This a link to the campus shuttle routes: Shuttles: Maps & Directions: Hospitals & Clinics - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas The one's not starting with "DART" are part of the system that connects various parts of campus. The "Clinical" shuttle would take you along many roads where you might be able to spot homeless folks resting during the day

Old 07-30-2016, 12:41 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,075,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley145 View Post
I realize that my original message was unclear, however I never asked for your opinion of whether it was appropriate or not. My mother always told me not to offer an opinion unless I was asked...
OP just some support....
Read your post and understood you the first time...you shouldn't feel the need to explain and re-explain. Your intent wasn't at all unclear to me and quite possibly many others.

Carry on...

Last edited by BLDSoon; 07-30-2016 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas