Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:19 PM

641 posts, read 802,115 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear thoughts from ppls personal experience on which DFW suburbs have some kind of hip/cool factor about them. I know it won't be as hip as an urban city. But which of them defy the typical suburbia bore. Which of them partly defy the stereotypical suburban bore. Which of the more well known suburbs squarely fit into the typical boring suburb.

Let's only exclude Dallas and Ft Worth:

In my experience:

Defying Suburbia bore:
Arlington, Irving, Denton

Partly:
Southlake, Grapevine, Plano, Addison

Squarely fit:
Keller, Burleson, Flower Mound, Richardson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 10:17 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Southlake and Plano are about as boring suburban as it gets.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:32 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
I'd love to hear thoughts from ppls personal experience on which DFW suburbs have some kind of hip/cool factor about them. I know it won't be as hip as an urban city. But which of them defy the typical suburbia bore. Which of them partly defy the stereotypical suburban bore. Which of the more well known suburbs squarely fit into the typical boring suburb.

In my experience:

Defying Suburbia bore:

Partly:

Squarely fit:
Denton is the only exception, but it's rather small. The rest of them? All boring. About as hip as a hip replacement. Not to say you can't find some "charm" such as Main St. in Grapevine. But overall DFW suburbs are boring beyond belief with the aesthetics that will make you want to stab your eyes out. Although to be fair, at least they're not the Rust Belt.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:40 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I know you love Arlington, but aside from the sports stadiums and theme parks, it's pretty typical suburb. It also has some old/run down areas.
Irving is a very typical suburb. I work in Las Colinas. It's chain restaurants and business complexes. The "urban core" area with the canals and retail/residential is nice, but it's fairly small. The residential areas are quite typical.
I agree Denton is different.
I will also agree that Grapevne's downtown area is different, too.
Addison has some fun areas along Belt Line west of the tollway, and Addison Square.
Southlake has the Town Square development, but that's it. Everything else is suburb.
Plano is totally a suburb.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:50 AM

641 posts, read 802,115 times
lol @ As hip as a hip replacement. okay, I thought Id ask the question. Maybe I could have discovered something new.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:

In my experience:

Defying Suburbia bore:

Partly:

Squarely fit:
The ones that were small cities in their own right before sprawl came their way have some amount of charm. The others mostly don't. Denton was a small college town/city in its own right. I'm sure that its proximity to Dallas and Fort Worth and the ever-expanding northern suburbs has helped fuel its growth in recent years, as has the public transit system that connects it with Dallas. McKinney has a very nice little downtown area with some really great old housing stock. I'd live there in a heartbeat if for whatever reason I HAD to move north due to a job issue. Many of the others like Plano, Carrollton, and Grapevine have very, very small historic downtowns with some charm. Funny that you put Southlake in the middle category. It's far more bland than the others you lumped it with. And while Richardson's built environment is bland suburbia, it's one of the most diverse areas of the metroplex and has some interest simply for the ethnic mix that reflect in the people and the stores. Not sure that gives it a "hip" factor or not, but it's certainly not just another plain vanilla suburb anymore. Irving similar thoughts, though it seems poorer to me than Richardson. Arlington is one of the worst on this list. It has some areas with natural beauty but it's overall really bland.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:18 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,859 times
I don't think of Denton as a suburb, but may be getting close.
Even with UNT there, not sure it has much excitement.
Grapevine is really the only one I can think of.
What is exciting or different about Arlington?
If you like Arlington maybe you would like Frisco.
Now in Frisco you have minor league hocky, baseball, major league soccer, Cowboys practice facility and the STAR.
You've got funky old downtown, new downtown.
That's about as exciting as it gets around here.
We don't have a beach, or a boardwalk, or a riverfront, or a real warehouse district that can be converted.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:

In my experience:

Defying Suburbia bore:

Partly:

Squarely fit:
Denton isn't a suburb.

And numbersguy100 is spot on.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
I haven't really found any parts of the DFW metro that don't fit into the boring suburbia stereotype (except for parts of FW and D). Grapevine has some neat areas, but at the end of the day, it's still a boring suburban town.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:59 AM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
Unfortunately a lot of suburbs in "new" cities like DFW are going to be bland and lacking in character. Doesn't make them bad, it just is what it is and it is largely the same in Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, etc. You will simply not find an Evanston IL or Bethesda MD type place in this part of the world; those are largely older cities that grew around rail stops. Towns here have largely developed along expanded highways, which makes a huge difference in how they developed.

Around here, the closest I can think is probably Denton (but you can argue if it's really a suburb). If we really stretch, I can *maybe* say Addison. Until recently I would say it's just denser suburban development on steroids, but I have noticed some decent non-chain restaurants popping up, along with more unique existing attractions like Addison Improv. If it were to ever figure out how to be more walkable, I could see Addison being the closest we have to a "non suburb" suburb.

Arlington? Absolutely not. A theme park and two stadiums surrounded by a sea of parking does not make it cool at all.

I applaud cities that are trying to introduce more urban-style development, although I must admit I am not really a fan of some of the faux town center developments that have popped up in this area. Its a start, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas