Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times

Advertisements

Dallas Morning News:
Talk about smart: 12-year-old from Grand Prairie heads to the Ivy League | Dallas Morning News

Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ays/?tid=sm_tw

Outstanding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:31 PM

377 posts, read 382,366 times
I find it interesting that all of these child prodigies eventually turn out to fail to live up to expectations.

How many child prodigies have won Nobel prizes or made some kind of stupendous genius-level contribution? There have been at least 100 child prodigies over the last 50 years, yet I can think of only 1 or 2 who made a profound genius-level contribution to their field.

Sure, they all end up way beyond average, achieving things at a young age like a PhD from MIT or Caltech but considering where they started in life I would have expected even more from them. Once the uniqueness of their age wears off and they are an 18 year old working in a lab, you never hear anything else about them.

Sho Yano is a good example. He graduated from the MD/PhD program at the University of Chicago in 2011 at age 21, the youngest MD and MD/PhD graduate in the history of the United States. You would have expected major scientific contributions from him by this point in his career yet a pubmed search shows only a handful of publications, none of which are particularly high impact. Sho Yano is now just an above-average pediatric neurology resident, but certainly not showing the genius-level impact that we all assumed that he would have.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:03 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I find it interesting that all of these child prodigies eventually turn out to fail to live up to expectations.

How many child prodigies have won Nobel prizes or made some kind of stupendous genius-level contribution? There have been at least 100 child prodigies over the last 50 years, yet I can think of only 1 or 2 who made a profound genius-level contribution to their field.

Sure, they all end up way beyond average, achieving things at a young age like a PhD from MIT or Caltech but considering where they started in life I would have expected even more from them. Once the uniqueness of their age wears off and they are an 18 year old working in a lab, you never hear anything else about them.

Sho Yano is a good example. He graduated from the MD/PhD program at the University of Chicago in 2011 at age 21, the youngest MD and MD/PhD graduate in the history of the United States. You would have expected major scientific contributions from him by this point in his career yet a pubmed search shows only a handful of publications, none of which are particularly high impact. Sho Yano is now just an above-average pediatric neurology resident, but certainly not showing the genius-level impact that we all assumed that he would have.
Just a few off the top of my head and cheating a little to your point:
Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Bizet, Saint-Saens and a good number of other composers and musicians.

Newton, Gauss, Euler, Hertz, Bohr (sp?), Tesla, Curie, Schodinger, Hawking, von Neumann, Nash, Wiles, Turing, von Braun and many other math and physics types.

John Stuart Mill (a prodigy and later an idiot), JM Keynes, Milton Friedman

I'd give Yano some slack. Maybe he'll hit the research harder after residency and fellowship.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:03 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Why do you they have to live up to your measures to be considered "successful?" My husband came to the US at 14 from another country to attend a university (he majored and math and engineering and minored in physics) and live in the dorm. He applied to MIT and other prestigious universities but they didn't believe his application was truthful and that a 14 year old from his country would be sending in an honest application. All he had with him was a suitcase and a boombox. He now has a BS, MS and co-owns two companies. He's also happily married, owns his own home and has 2 happy kids. Most people would think that's a great life if they didn't know his past and his supposed potential.

Our older son is smarter than my husband. When he was young though we made a conscious effort to not turn him into a prodigy or a show pony. Too many prodigies these days burn out too early. We encourage him to pursue his intellectual interests but really want him to be happy and socially well adjusted. When you have a kid who's far off the bell curve in either direction it's tough to figure what's best for him.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:31 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,131 times
Quote:

Because the truth is most truly smart people... Genius ones especially, couldn't give two cents worth of thought to achievement. At least not in a traditional sense. Success for them tends to be a side effect of their genius not a goal. Most of them in fact never achieve any mind blowing level of financial success. ( note the geniuses of old...how many of them were actually well to do in life?)

In reality they'd rather plunge head first into the deepest depths of whatever subject they are interested in. For that reason the vast majority of genius level people end up in academia or research. Two not very high paying professions compared to others.

Truth is it doesn't take genius level knowledge to make money but it does take that kind of knowledge to cure cancer or come up with the next fuel or to figure out how to live on mars. And for that reason on I'm personally okay with these geniuses diving deep into their books to figure out things we cannot fathom. Their contributions will certainly be more needed and far reaching than us getting a few more billionaires.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Well since he seems ready and will be living with his parents, good luck to him. I sort of feel like he will miss out on a lot of really important non-academic life experience though :/

Old 08-21-2016, 02:03 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
I just pity this soon to be teen. I would rather keep him in a gifted school near Cornell with his peers and let him attend some classes at university online or during summers. If he wants to do some research work then hook him up with some Cornell professor. Parents seem obsessed with his giftedness. He must be much more than his IQ.

Well, he isn't my child so guess his parents get to decide for him and they are probably doing what seems right to them.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:45 AM

242 posts, read 433,034 times
Quote:

Then this kid is clearly a total loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas