Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/adhocrpt/adpea.html

For report, pick all supretendents in the state option and just click next.
Thanks! I dunno why I thought the superintendent in DISD made the most in the area.

It looks like the superintendent of RISD is a part-time job??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM

5,258 posts, read 6,369,583 times
CARRANZA, RICHARD A of Houston ISD is knocking it out of the park - 200,000 students and only gets paid $10k more than the DISD superintendent with 50,000 fewer students, or only $50k more than Plano ISD with 4X more students.

However, you can see Robin Hood in full effect at the bottom of the chart - the small public school superintendents are earning in the $100k range for enrollments of 1000 students or less. So the big hitters are earning $1.75 per student, the middle sized are $6 per student, and the small schools $100 per student and higher.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Here you go ... This is a list of base salary and full FTE for superintendents of school districts in state of Texas. Most districts are paying reasonable amount according to their size and tax base. Richardson ISD pays a very generous FTE for a smaller district. Do check out how generously single charter schools are paying. If charter school trend took off, they'll drain our public school system.

https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/adhocrpt/adpea.html
One of the first charter schools in the DFW area was called Renaissance--run by father and son--forget their names now...
It had a fairly decent reputation for while until people started to actually check on what they were doing
My son worked there--taught and then did on-line web curriculum design for them--
They were basically stealing from the state because they hyper inflated their attendance numbers and paid themselves in various ways...
One of them--I think the son--wound up in prison--
My son was really afraid he would have to testify in court but don't think he did--
This was over 15 yrs ago == maybe few more...

Charter schools are ripe for the unscrupulous to take advantage because there is limited info about their financials required --or at least that the public at large pay attention to because there is no physical district of homeowners and the children attend from multiple districts in the area--and the board is often a closed set w/o much public involvement from parents...
Charter schools run by a business are even more able to take advantage of lax oversight and pilfer monies...

Old 04-12-2017, 03:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
CARRANZA, RICHARD A of Houston ISD is knocking it out of the park - 200,000 students and only gets paid $10k more than the DISD superintendent with 50,000 fewer students, or only $50k more than Plano ISD with 4X more students.

However, you can see Robin Hood in full effect at the bottom of the chart - the small public school superintendents are earning in the $100k range for enrollments of 1000 students or less. So the big hitters are earning $1.75 per student, the middle sized are $6 per student, and the small schools $100 per student and higher.
I think most people in education think you could not pay them enough to be super of HISD or DISD---except that some of the people who have had those jobs have been abusers of the office vs actually going good for the district...
Smaller districts often have problems getting qualified supers because of their location...
Some of the smaller districts -- that had o/g revenues when oil was high--were able to enhance their salary schedules but now that oil is down they are likely hurting...
Supers are often viewed by the teachers and staff as the most overpaid and over rated functionary in the district...
It would be interesting to see how supers' salaries would change if ALL their employees had a voice in what they were paid...

Old 04-12-2017, 04:06 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,206,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

Yeah. Prosper superintendent is also doing very well with less than 10k students, $285k.

I'm in the wrong line of work haha

Old 04-13-2017, 09:45 AM

5,258 posts, read 6,369,583 times
Quote:
Supers are often viewed by the teachers and staff as the most overpaid and over rated functionary in the district...
I'd consider superintendents to be the person mostly in charge of managing staff and resources (ie buildings) of the school more than making direct educational decisions, though they do some of that too. In that, it's a job that directly scales with the number of students, as buildings and staff is a ratio of kids in seats, and managing 10 buildings is harder than managing 1.

As you can see from the list, some are insanely overpaid and some not so much. It really depends on the district.

I'm not sure 'overrated functionary' is exactly correct though.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:27 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,164,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Yeah. Prosper superintendent is also doing very well with less than 10k students, $285k.

I'm in the wrong line of work haha
Granted $284k is a LOT of money, he is a great superintendent. He's been at Prosper since I went to school there (many moons ago) and everyone still raves about him.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 PM

210 posts, read 272,904 times
Prosper superintendent has 10k students and makes $284k is totally absurd, Eliu Hinojosa superintendent of Dallas ISD has appx. 159,000 students and makes appx. $335k. Prosper needs to lower that figure to below $100k that's how Frisco ISD got into financial troubles (FISD supt. was retired this year 2017 because of his overspending) and cannot finish completing (4) schools for lack of funds, so they sit there now empty.

Sounds like the fox is guarding the hen house in Prosper, TX. What else is being overpaid for in Prosper's school district??? BTW, I could care less how many moons he's been around, these are tax dollars collected from working citizens and retirees, every dollar is important and should be spent judiciously and wisely! $284K really, really! The President's annual salary is $400k does thievery come to mind in Prosper, TX?

Old 04-15-2017, 02:02 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,810,489 times
Really hope they don't raise property tax next year (I know this year it's been denied) but seems like FISD has no choice but to do so...

Old 04-15-2017, 04:57 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,149,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Really hope they don't raise property tax next year (I know this year it's been denied) but seems like FISD has no choice but to do so...
This is not going to be a one time thing. Lots of buildings need lots of money for manning, upkeeping, equipment, furniture,maintaining ,repairs, renovations etc ... expenses keep increasing with time. Property taxes are already high in Texas, folks aren't going to accept continuous hikes. New buyers won't go there to pay high taxes, specially once there are no new homes left to buy. Buyers would either go to established areas with lower taxes or to next suburb with new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas