U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 01:36 PM

2,662 posts, read 2,268,461 times

Advertisements

Arlington has potential because of the location and attractions. Driving through there, it just feels like a place to play or work and not a place to live.

It feels disconnected and that's probably related to public transit. Ol' Jerrah had no intention of putting Cowboys Stadium in Dallas because DART would kick *** with all the events going through there. He wanted to collect the parking revenue so he settled on something that was relatively close to the airports but far enough from the advantages of urban living.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
Default Going downhill, faster than we'd like

We first moved to Arlington in 1980 because my husband worked in FW and I in Dallas. We bought a house in 76015 and then one in Wimbledon, which we loved, and the neighborhood was great. Moved to Dallas for husband's job for about 6 years; came back to Arlington, to 76016, in the early 90's.
We saw the difference immediately. Diversity. Booming car stereos. Less than desirable neighbors with barking dogs and disrespectful kids, drug use, etc. Moved further over in 76016 closer to Dalworthington to a nicer neighborhood in the late 90's, and things were much, much better, but we noticed Parks Mall becoming less safe and moveouts in our neighborhood were replaced with people with jobs that required less education.
The Highlands was a nice shopping area after it first went in, but now it isn't safe after dark.
Driving in our area is depressing, with fences not being repaired, trash on the side of the road, and once nice neighborhoods becoming more and more run down. Crime has increased.
Now, in our neighborhood, we have even more diversity, single people (who generally don't care about upkeep, particularly landscape), neighbors with kids moving back in with their parents and bringing their kids and dogs, loose dogs, dogs that bite -- which means no neighborhood walks anymore -- cats everywhere, and car break-ins frequently. Renters. People roaming the streets at night looking for trouble.
Oddly, our home values are going up because the Martin HS area still has half-decent schools (relatively) and the homes are affordable at under 300K for the most part. But residents like young up and coming families are not buying here; the last few homes sold in our neighborhood have been to singles, minorities with either multi-generations or home businesses, other multi-generations in one home, and buyers who lease the homes as rentals.
Perhaps these new residents will turn things around in one or two generations, but we feel that Dalworthington, Wimbledon, Deerwood Park and possibly Interlochen (nearby Millwood has crime problems) will house the local doctors and business owners, but the rest of the city will go the way of east Arlington. As it is, friends who live in the more expensive areas send their kids to Oakridge (private) or Pantego Christian Academy.
It's sad to say, but once an area turns in this direction, if there are better areas to choose from -- say, north Tarrant and Dallas counties -- new families will choose those instead. And as one other poster mentioned, that's where all the good jobs have gone in the last twenty-five years.
We're planning to leave, God-willing, and we're looking in the areas around Grapevine Lake which have increased in price substantially -- we hope to find something affordable there. Our Wimbledon home has just about doubled in value in 30 years; homes in Colleyville for the same price 30 years ago are now 4 times as much. Go to 76034 and look at demographics.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 AM

736 posts, read 813,064 times
I disagree with a lot of these comments. I lived IN Arlington for 3 years with young children in school and loved it. We always felt safe and got to see some wonderful growth yes the homes and neighborhood are in your words older. In my words.... mature. Beautiful lots with trees and green grass! Older homes are built much vetter. And can be updated to be nicer and more energy efficient . I say enjoy your burns. I'll take ARLINGTON any day

Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 AM

4,289 posts, read 5,156,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abclingan View Post
Arlington has definitely failed my family. When I grew up, you could ride your bike just about anywhere. Play outside all day. In the last 3 years, there have been THREE murders in my parents neighborhood, that's more than the previous 20 years COMBINED. - Now that's a pretty small section to cite as evidence, but check this out:

I work in real estate development, so I have a good understanding of how zoning works; where once there was a Barnes & Noble, there's now a liquor store. Do you have any idea how many zoning classes there are between a book store and a liquor store?? A lot. That change should have happened over like 15 years. It happened almost overnight.

Not to mention, the thuggery and scare tactics the city council and mayor use to get their way (new ball park).

[mod cut]

Maybe there are pockets here and there that are tolerable, but probably not for long. I spent 18 months in a plastic box in Iraq, and I honestly prefer that to living in Arlington today. As soon as my parents die, WE ARE OUTTA HERE!

Arlington really cheated my son out of a proper childhood. I guess we could have moved by now, but we gotta be near my parents for them. "American Dream City" my ass

Last edited by Acntx; 02-13-2018 at 05:18 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 08:44 PM

120 posts, read 86,588 times
Arlington sold their soul and city budget "winning" the right to build Jerry's World.

It's sad that Arlington spent all that money depending on tourist to fund it through hotel/rental car taxes yet those same tourist stay in surrounding cities that are safer, nicer, cheaper, with more entertaining things to do and hotels that will shuttle people to the stadiums for free.

A couple of years ago, my company bought another company that had a building in Arlington. We had to show up for a corporate meeting in that building. Part of the directions that I found humorous was to turn down a certain street, you should see "an abandoned hotel with busted out windows, pass that and take the next right"....

Sure enough, right there was an abandoned hotel with overgrown grass and busted out glass.

Arlington needs better city management. Stop spending all the tax payers money on stadiums and what not and invest that into the main roads, taking over abandoned buildings, landscaping...updating/repairing everything that makes the city look old, unkempt and depressed because that's how I feel when I have to drive through Arlington.

Someone brought up that Irving and Arlington get a bad rap by people that haven't been back and seen the changes. Yeah, that's a bit of it but if I was to be forced to choose between living in Irving or Arlington only, I would choose Irving everyday. They are trying to make their city better and it shows. I can't say the same for Arlington.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:58 PM

194 posts, read 120,092 times
"Arlington. It's Not Grand Prairie!"

Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 AM

1,931 posts, read 1,167,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyLebeau View Post
Someone brought up that Irving and Arlington get a bad rap by people that haven't been back and seen the changes. Yeah, that's a bit of it but if I was to be forced to choose between living in Irving or Arlington only, I would choose Irving everyday. They are trying to make their city better and it shows. I can't say the same for Arlington.
I do agree that Arlington shouldn't have spent so much money on sports arenas. When I lived there I voted against it and for public transit. I disagree though that the city isn't doing things to make the city better. For example, the city is building a brand new central library instead of remodeling the old one and is putting money into other downton improvements. I have been to many public parks that have received new playground equipment and other improvements over the past few years. The community also passed 3/4 billion bond package for the Arlington ISD. The AISD is spending the money wisely by doing things like building new schools on land the school district already owns. Yes there are parts of Arlington that are run down and in terrible shape but that goes for many other cities including Irving. The problem with Arlington though is that a lot of the bad part of town are too close to the entertainment district which is the only area of Arlington that many people visit.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM

3,278 posts, read 2,276,130 times
Arlington's had a stigma attached to it even going back to the 80's as a place with more crime than most other suburbs around DFW.

I'm not sure where they went wrong. With pro sports teams and Six Flags, they have some of the best attractions in the entire metroplex, but ultimately it boils down to having good, highly ranked school districts and good housing developments to get people to live there.

Even back in the mid 80's, there were better choices on where to live, and the gap has just increased since then.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM

5,318 posts, read 3,821,453 times
Arlington has the potential to be one of the best suburbs in the Metroplex. It's smack dab between Fort Worth and Dallas, close to the airport, and has a decent supply of housing. I mostly blame the city council. They are more focused on sports than the infrastructure for the entire city.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 PM

36 posts, read 43,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Ha! In 1991, when Arlington was considering building a middling baseball team a beautiful new stadium, Richardson was planning the Telecom Corridor and Plano was building JC Penny a corporate HQ. The rest is history. Arlington had double the population of Plano and was better located than some farm land in BFE where the tollway didn't even yet go. Governance matters. Arlington chose sports and entertainment - north Dallas cities chose to compete for corporate headquarters locations.

Both are perfectly fine choices, but they are choices that the city governments made.
This is a great post. I just wish that people (the voters) understand this point when they vote "yes" for bond packages to build sports stadiums at all levels (HS, College, and Professional).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas