U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM

12,432 posts, read 24,044,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear63 View Post
I would highly recommend 3 months in a rental to get to know the area first. What you consider diverse and what posters on here think could be very different. Also hearing that 75230 is only 10-15 minutes away is news to me. I can't make it in less than 45 minutes on a regular work day from 75230. On a Sunday afternoon? Yes.
What are you even talking about? I drive from Preston & Royal to multiple places in the Park Cities every week at different times of the day and it never takes more than 10-15 minutes. My house is exactly 11 minutes from Lovers & Preston. If it's rush hour, cross Northwest Hwy at Douglas instead of Preston. I pick up Mustang Donuts for my work team a few times each month and it's about 15 minutes door to door, including driving through 2-3 school zones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm2562 View Post
Thank you all! We definitely plan to rent before buying a place. I can now do a more structured search thanks to you all!

So, another question, it is TOTALLY ridiculous to live in Plano and drive to HP everyday, right?! We can get a way bigger place in Plano and they have so many nice schools there, but if my kid is going to school in Plano, I'd like to be able to get to her in 30 minutes anytime of the day. That won't be possible if I work in HP, right??????
It's not totally ridiculous, but you'd need to live as close to DNT & Bush as possible. Living in Far North Dallas zoned to PISD schools might be a good option as that puts you south of Bush. It would be about 15 minutes during the middle of the day, but up to 30-40 in rush hour just depending on exact home & office locations.

You also might like Richardson- more diversity, great public schools K-12, closer than Plano, and more house for your money than closer in.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 9,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It's not totally ridiculous, but you'd need to live as close to DNT & Bush as possible. Living in Far North Dallas zoned to PISD schools might be a good option as that puts you south of Bush. It would be about 15 minutes during the middle of the day, but up to 30-40 in rush hour just depending on exact home & office locations.

You also might like Richardson- more diversity, great public schools K-12, closer than Plano, and more house for your money than closer in.

This is great. Thank you!!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:41 PM

Any thoughts on the Northwood Elementary School (part of RISD)?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:23 PM

710 posts, read 887,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
What are you even talking about? I drive from Preston & Royal to multiple places in the Park Cities every week at different times of the day and it never takes more than 10-15 minutes. My house is exactly 11 minutes from Lovers & Preston. If it's rush hour, cross Northwest Hwy at Douglas instead of Preston. I pick up Mustang Donuts for my work team a few times each month and it's about 15 minutes door to door, including driving through 2-3 school zones.
Wait...you drive from Preston and Royal to Mustang Donuts and then to work. Don't you work up in the Legacy area? Now THAT sounds like a long commute. I am SURE there are some good donut places on the way to your office. Someone help her out.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
Wait...you drive from Preston and Royal to Mustang Donuts and then to work. Don't you work up in the Legacy area? Now THAT sounds like a long commute. I am SURE there are some good donut places on the way to your office. Someone help her out.

Mustang is the best. Nothing else even compares. I'm happy to do it for my awesome work team! (Mostly 'cause I get one too!!)

Old 09-21-2016, 02:14 PM

16,092 posts, read 37,916,295 times
This is easy - Stonewall Jackson Elementary is a few blocks east on Mockingbird Lane. Robert E. Lee is the next closest and possibly less expensive. It's not as heralded but offers IB PYP.

Why drive for an hour when it can be ten minutes? Or less.
Many HPISD and SMU employees live just east of Central. Because it's easy and it's a great place to live.

Elementary attendance zone maps:

Demographic Studies / 2016-17 Elementary School Attendance Zones

Secondary School Map (also shows the location of elementaries) - both Long and Woodrow are IB schools:

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...t/WilsonHS.pdf

Within the Long/Woodrow feeder pattern it is also possible to transfer to other elementary schools within the pattern. For instance, you can apply to Mata Montessori or to Lee and Lipscomb for IB if you live in another elementary attendance zone. Mata does have a waiting list and Lipscomb is nearly full. Lee has room.

Stonewall, Lakewood, Long and Woodrow are all very popular and getting additions to accommodate the rise in enrollment. Long and Woodrow are getting their second new wings in the last few years. Since earning International Baccalaureate accreditation (and revamping into four college prep academies) in March, 2011 Woodrow has grown by about 400 students.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:32 PM

710 posts, read 887,360 times
I agree with Lakewooder that Stonewall seems like a nobrainer. It is a great area, that meets all your criteria and budget well.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
This is easy - Stonewall Jackson Elementary is a few blocks east on Mockingbird Lane. Robert E. Lee is the next closest and possibly less expensive. It's not as heralded but offers IB PYP.

Why drive for an hour when it can be ten minutes? Or less.
Many HPISD and SMU employees live just east of Central. Because it's easy and it's a great place to live.

Elementary attendance zone maps:

Demographic Studies / 2016-17 Elementary School Attendance Zones

Secondary School Map (also shows the location of elementaries) - both Long and Woodrow are IB schools:

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...t/WilsonHS.pdf

Within the Long/Woodrow feeder pattern it is also possible to transfer to other elementary schools within the pattern. For instance, you can apply to Mata Montessori or to Lee and Lipscomb for IB if you live in another elementary attendance zone. Mata does have a waiting list and Lipscomb is nearly full. Lee has room.

Stonewall, Lakewood, Long and Woodrow are all very popular and getting additions to accommodate the rise in enrollment. Long and Woodrow are getting their second new wings in the last few years. Since earning International Baccalaureate accreditation (and revamping into four college prep academies) in March, 2011 Woodrow has grown by about 400 students.
Thanks so much! Just one question:

"Many HPISD and SMU employees live just east of Central." Would you happen to know what the zip code is? I am totally new to Dallas and a bit lost at the moment!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:34 PM

6,761 posts, read 5,611,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hm2562 View Post
thanks so much! Just one question:

"many hpisd and smu employees live just east of central." would you happen to know what the zip code is? I am totally new to dallas and a bit lost at the moment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas