U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 AM

11 posts, read 8,530 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I am in need of some direct opinions. I have research and read so many things but I wanted advice for our exact situation. We are a family of 4, my husband and I are both 33 and 2 boys ages 2 and 7 months. We currently live in NJ and want more for our boys so we are moving to Texas. My husband has a chance to open his own business. The only problem is where? There are so many options in either Dallas or San Antonio. As the mom I have research both cities and found both good and bad. I definitely want a good school system for my boys and a well rounded city with things to do for both family and couples. Living next to NYC I would like some options. I have gotten so many mixed reviews. San Antonio is great but there is nothing to do, only the River Walk I am told. Or Dallas is boring? I have search in San Antonio for a place to live and have chosen Helotes and in Dallas Frisco. What would be your recommendation, this is definitely a scary move especially with 2 young kids but I feel is the best choice for our family, I want to give my boys a better life. I would appreciate any advice or pointers on this decision. I guess the question is what would be the best option for us Dallas or San Antonio? Helotes or Frisco? Any other towns that are family oriented and with activities and entertainment? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,282,543 times
Would your husband's business be in Frisco? That is one of the fastest growing areas in North Texas. You will find a lot of young families and activities, but also a lot of competition with new business (if that is where he would be) Dallas has a lot of things to do - decent arts district, good theater/symphony, good museums, sports, great parks, Dallas Arboretum, shopping, etc. The main issue I see is that if you are in Frisco, you are a good 45-60 minutes away from downtown and may not take advantage of it, even if it is relatively nearby.

I don't know anything about San Antonio besides visiting the RiverWalk.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:54 AM

710 posts, read 887,360 times
I'm surprised you heard there is nothing to do in SA. Here are a few things:

DoSeum
Sea World, Sea World Aquatica, Sea World Discovery Center
Six Flags
Tobin Center
Fabulous restaurants at The Pearl Brewery, home to the Culinary Institute of America campus
San Antonio Missions World Heritage sites
Fiesta (in April)
San Antonio Zoo
Kiddie Park...old but my kids LOVED going there (actually the youunger two still love it)
Concerts and sports at The Alamodome

It's a big city. Not as cosmopolitan as Dallas but there is plenty for a family to do. I don't know anything about Helotes specifically. I always thought of that as really far away. But it's not any farther than Frisco is from Dallas.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:09 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,077,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post

DoSeum
Six Flags
Tobin Center
Fabulous restaurants at The Pearl Brewery, home to the Culinary Institute of America campus
Fiesta (in April)
San Antonio Zoo
Kiddie Park...old but my kids LOVED going there (actually the youunger two still love it)

It's a big city. Not as cosmopolitan as Dallas but there is plenty for a family to do. I don't know anything about Helotes specifically. I always thought of that as really far away. But it's not any farther than Frisco is from Dallas.
My kid's really liked Morgan's Wonderland as well. It's a 100% handicap-accessible theme park, but it also means that it's great for toddlers because they can sort of do everything there, which isn't the case at most theme parks.

I think San Antonio is actually far more family friendly, in many ways, than Dallas. There are tons of restaurants/bars there with outdoor playsets so you can have a burger and beer for dinner, enjoy some live music, and the kids are playing on what is basically a small scale park playground (fully enclosed). I knew they had a bunch of places like that in Austin, but was surprised San Antonio had so much of it as well. It basically doesn't exist in Dallas. There are no two ways about the fact that SA is incredibly family friendly as an overall city.

Thing is, you appear to be making the decision to live on the fringe of two very different metro areas. You should think more about what you actually enjoy doing, and which situation better facilitates that lifestyle. DFW is a larger metro so certain things like art museums are going to be more prevalent than in SA. But if you live in Frisco and only infrequently go to them, does it matter? SA is closer to Hill Country and the beach, and other outdoor amenities that I wish we had an equivalent of in Dallas. But if that's not for you, then there's no reason to prioritize that when making the decision.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:41 AM

Thank you Business will most likely be in Allen or McKinney . Frisco Commercial Real estate is high I would like to live in Frisco because i have heard great things of the town but open to other options, i also heard Wylie is good

Old 09-20-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post

DoSeum
Six Flags
Tobin Center
Fiesta (in April)
San Antonio Zoo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I know of some activities but for instance I do not support Sea World, I hate the way the animals are treated there. But that is just me and I would not give them my money. All the other activities are great thank you, Just in a business standpoint not sure if ideal for growth.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:56 AM

10,504 posts, read 22,342,764 times
Why are you wanting to live so far away from your business? Personally, if I owned a business, I would want to live close so I would be easily accessible. There's no reason to make a 20-30 minute commute. McKinney and Allen are very popular towns for families to live.

I have relatives who live in San Antonio and we love visiting there. It's a fun city with plenty of things to do, and the beautiful Hill Country is right by the city. You are also very close to the beach at Corpus Christi.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Would your husband's business be in Frisco? That is one of the fastest growing areas in North Texas. You will find a lot of young families and activities, but also a lot of competition with new business (if that is where he would be) Dallas has a lot of things to do - decent arts district, good theater/symphony, good museums, sports, great parks, Dallas Arboretum, shopping, etc. The main issue I see is that if you are in Frisco, you are a good 45-60 minutes away from downtown and may not take advantage of it, even if it is relatively nearby.

I don't know anything about San Antonio besides visiting the RiverWalk.

Good luck.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you He is looking at Allen or Mcckiney.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Why are you wanting to live so far away from your business? Personally, if I owned a business, I would want to live close so I would be easily accessible. There's no reason to make a 20-30 minute commute. McKinney and Allen are very popular towns for families to live.

I have relatives who live in San Antonio and we love visiting there. It's a fun city with plenty of things to do, and the beautiful Hill Country is right by the city. You are also very close to the beach at Corpus Christi.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea was to open in Frisco but the rents were to high and I want a good school system for the boys and read great things about Frisco

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM

10,504 posts, read 22,342,764 times
McKinney and Allen schools are about the same as Frisco. Really all of the school systems in Collin County are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas