Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times

Advertisements

Plano's water, air and other EPA ratings are pretty good compared to rest of DFW.

No matter where you buy, make sure there are mature trees around the neighborhood and a green belt, creek, park or a nature reserve adjacent to your neighborhood, preferably backing to your house. That's the most natural way to filter air around the house. Add plants around the house and some water feature, like pool, pond or fountain.

Inside the house add air filters and houseplants known for their air purifying effects. Make sure there is no cement factory, chemical plant, major airport or fracking site near your house, much dangerous than ordinary pollution.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 09-26-2016 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 12:05 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Sorry, I hope I wasn't too harsh. I can see how DFW could contribute to air pollution, but I would bet good money that Plano isn't enough of an improvement to alleviate your symptoms. There may be other reasons to move, especially with your budget, but it's a heck of a lot of hassle for the reasons you are specifically listing.

On the off chance, is it allergy related at all? I do know someone who ended up just leaving the entire state because they couldn't handle their constant battle with allergens in this are of the country.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:13 PM

It's not that difficult to look up EPA ratings, OP doesn't have to go by assumptions of random posters.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:13 PM

168 posts, read 229,404 times
I would move completely out of the Metroplex and over to the hill country, for example Kerrville or Boerne, to escape the pollution/etc.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:09 PM

22 posts, read 28,919 times
Thank you everyone for your help. It's a lot to think about. It's hard to move your whole family because there MIGHT be an improvement in my health. I also feel like a jerk that everyone is having to relocate because of me.
and No, it's not allergy related. I wish it was---I could take allergy shots for that. I had childhood asthma due to pollution and unfortunately it has returned every since I moved to DFW from VA.
Thanks again everyone

Old 09-27-2016, 07:18 AM

If one person is miserable, specially a mother then it effects whole family, even she doesn't want it to. If you are at your 100% then it benefits whole household.

Not saying that you should move or not but your well being is an asset for whole family that shouldn't be taken fore granted and if a move can help you then it's worth it for everyone. No need to feel like a jerk, this is just common sense to try to find a cure or a remedy that may help you breath.

No one can stay tied to a certain home or school in this fluid society, job changes move people around all the time. No need to be a martyr and suffer if a change can help. You may want to move kids to another school for 9-12 regardless.

Here are air quality reports for Collin and Dallas counties.

https://www3.epa.gov/myenv/myenview2...=Coppell,%20TX

https://www3.epa.gov/myenv/myenview2...ch=75093,%20TX

Last edited by UnfairPark; 09-27-2016 at 07:40 AM..

Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysquirrel View Post
Thank you everyone for your help. It's a lot to think about. It's hard to move your whole family because there MIGHT be an improvement in my health. I also feel like a jerk that everyone is having to relocate because of me.
and No, it's not allergy related. I wish it was---I could take allergy shots for that. I had childhood asthma due to pollution and unfortunately it has returned every since I moved to DFW from VA.
Thanks again everyone
See if you can rent a place (like AirBNB)for a couple of weeks in Plano to try and gauge if the environment there makes a difference before you even think about moving. If it seriously does, then maybe do it. I would think Plano is too close to the city and you might think about Argyle or Prosper.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:56 AM

22 posts, read 28,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
If one person is miserable, specially a mother then it effects whole family, even she doesn't want it to. If you are at your 100% then it benefits whole household.

Not saying that you should move or not but your well being is an asset for whole family that shouldn't be taken fore granted and if a move can help you then it's worth it for everyone. No need to feel like a jerk, this is just common sense to try to find a cure or a remedy that may help you breath.

No one can stay tied to a certain home or school in this fluid society, job changes move people around all the time. No need to be a martyr and suffer if a change can help. You may want to move kids to another school for 9-12 regardless.

Here are air quality reports for Collin and Dallas counties.

https://www3.epa.gov/myenv/myenview2...=Coppell,%20TX

https://www3.epa.gov/myenv/myenview2...ch=75093,%20TX

Thank you so much for those links! very helpful

Old 09-27-2016, 09:25 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Out of all the pollution in North TX, airplanes would be low in the list of contributors.

That northwest corner of Coppell does have a lot of air traffic but check out Plano. Much of Plano has air traffic to DFW and Love field. I've seen parts of Plano with much more overhead flights. All the East Coast traffic comes in over Plano.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:43 AM

I was surprised by diffrence between two counties, specifically ozone and green house emission. Either Collin County has tighter regulations or Dallas County has higher power/gas/oil related issues creating more CO2e
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: