Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:36 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times

Advertisements

I don't think the area gets bashed (either in real life or on C-D) so much as it is that some people have unrealistic expectations of what it is, or what it should be.

DFW is a modern, expansive area with lots of amenities that are conducive to middle-class, suburban lifestyles. It has incredible bang for the buck, and you can get 85% of what you can get in many of the more expensive parts of the country for far less. Many people love it for what it is.

I think where certain people get caught up is expecting it to be something its not. DFW is not a beacon of urbanity, its not a particularly aesthetically appealing area, its not a cultural giant, and it is not a center of the creative type of thinking that many C-D types find as critical to the social health of any city.

I lived there for a couple of years, and I enjoyed it. If there were a good reason for me to move back, I would. With that said, its obvious that many people expect DFW to compare with places like SF, LA, Chicago, etc. and in many aspects, it just doesn't compare.

And that's OK, there's a reason its been one of the fastest growing areas of the country for decades - people must like it well enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 09:59 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I guess this goes in waves then. It wasn't free when I flew to Madrid on AA (hands down worst flight I've ever been on).
Love Field is has no direct international flights because of the Wright Amendment cessation agreement from about 2006. That's almost certain to change in the next few years.

As of now Delta has the oldest fleet of all the big domestics by far. United and Delta each have older fleets than either Southwest or American. All of American's MD-80s will be gone in 2017 - so its fleet will become even younger. AA's fleet age is right in line with Lufthansa, KLM and BA.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ican-airlines/

On AA economy ticket flights drinks cost - gratis or for purchase - varies by equipment - or at least it did for years. Maybe someone has current info. In my book if one is flying across the world worrying about whether drink costs are bundling into ticket prices or not is a decidedly first world problem.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I don't think the area gets bashed (either in real life or on C-D) so much as it is that some people have unrealistic expectations of what it is, or what it should be.

DFW is a modern, expansive area with lots of amenities that are conducive to middle-class, suburban lifestyles. It has incredible bang for the buck, and you can get 85% of what you can get in many of the more expensive parts of the country for far less. Many people love it for what it is.

I think where certain people get caught up is expecting it to be something its not. DFW is not a beacon of urbanity, its not a particularly aesthetically appealing area, its not a cultural giant, and it is not a center of the creative type of thinking that many C-D types find as critical to the social health of any city.

I lived there for a couple of years, and I enjoyed it. If there were a good reason for me to move back, I would. With that said, its obvious that many people expect DFW to compare with places like SF, LA, Chicago, etc. and in many aspects, it just doesn't compare.

And that's OK, there's a reason its been one of the fastest growing areas of the country for decades - people must like it well enough!
You're right. I came to DFW from Kansas City and I was expecting a more urban/city living experience (You'd expect DFW to be more urban because its many times bigger than KC). I've been very let down.

DFW is similar to Atlanta in that both areas are perfect for people 30+ who are looking to settle down in an affordable residential area with a good job market.

However, there are places like Chicago that offer a city and suburban living experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I like living in Dallas, but we don't have two international airports - Love is domestic. And while we have cheap, convenient and plentiful flights to places like Denver (which I love), let's try to be honest with ourselves about shortcomings. Flights to Europe from DFW are downright awful. Too many are on American Airlines, which has old planes and bad service for trans-Atlantic flights (no free alcohol is basically a deal killer for me). The few direct flights we have are expensive because the routes are not as popular as they are from places like Chicago, New York, and Boston.
I was surprised to read that DFW was one of the busiest airports in the world. It's a nice airport, but the flight options are rather limited. I think AA having a semi-monopoly does the airport a disservice.

From O'Hare, you can get a non-stop to most places in Europe from over a dozen different airlines. I once got a roundtrip Chicago-Istanbul-Paris for super cheap. From DFW you are stuck with American if you want to go to Europe.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
No one moves to DFW because they want to move here for the city (unlike places like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston).
Wrong.

I think what you're trying to say is that people like *you* don't want to move here for the city. Not everyone is like you.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Wrong.
Here are the reasons people move to DFW:
  • Good schools
  • Cheaper housing
  • Good job market
  • No cold weather
  • No income tax

NYC, Chicago, and LA offer very few of these things, so why do people move there? Because the experience of living in the city cannot be beat.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:04 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Again, that's why people like *you* move to DFW. Some of your reasons don't even reflect reality in a way that makes them posible reasons for anyone. DFW doesn't have "good schools" compared to other places; and its does have cold weather.

Lots of people move to Dallas because it's glamorous, it's fun, and it has not yet been ruined by left-wing politics. It's the capital of red-state America.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Again, that's why people like *you* move to DFW. Some of your reasons don't even reflect reality in a way that makes them posible reasons for anyone. DFW doesn't have "good schools" compared to other places; and its does have cold weather.

Lots of people move to Dallas because it's glamorous, it's fun, and it has not yet been ruined by left-wing politics. It's the capital of red-state America.
Glamorous and fun? Are you sure we're talking about the same Dallas?

Old 09-26-2016, 11:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
No one moves to DFW because they want to move here for the city (unlike places like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston). It's always for one of these reasons: cheaper housing (compared to CA or the NE), job market, no cold weather, and no income tax.

A. I did. It was home, my parents live and retired here (as did many of their friends), many of my friends chose to live here, and I literally could afford to live and work anywhere (and I'd easily get a job).
B. I would NEVER live in any of the aforementioned cities listed. I cannot stand east coast attitude problem, I DESPISE urban density and things that are squished together, California is insane, and I hate midwest weather. No no no no no. All those things are present in some amount in all of those cities. SF is at least nice to visit, but I sure as F wouldn't live there. In fact, I have TWO different sets of friends who ran away from there TO Dallas.

With Dallas I get a lot of big city benefits without all the big city downfalls.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:21 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:

"Dallas has cold weather" is one of the funniest things I've read all day. Dallas is fun and "glamorous" in gawdy over the top kinda way. I love living here, but if I had a chance to move to Chicago or back out west to Idaho I would take the real city life of Chicago over Dallas or the real wilderness and mountains and Cowboys of the mountain west over endless sprawl.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A. I did. It was home, my parents live and retired here (as did many of their friends), many of my friends chose to live here, and I literally could afford to live and work anywhere (and I'd easily get a job).
B. I would NEVER live in any of the aforementioned cities listed. I cannot stand east coast attitude problem, I DESPISE urban density and things that are squished together, California is insane, and I hate midwest weather. No no no no no. All those things are present in some amount in all of those cities. SF is at least nice to visit, but I sure as F wouldn't live there. In fact, I have TWO different sets of friends who ran away from there TO Dallas.

With Dallas I get a lot of big city benefits without all the big city downfalls.
I should include that in my list too. People often move back home, or move to be closer to family. Actually, it's probably one of the biggest reasons for anyone moving.

I agree with you. I lived in Paris for a while and it was fun at first, but after a few months I got tired of the constant masses of people.

My favorite areas are mid-sized, or even large, but not huge cities. They have all the amenities of huge cities, but without the cost and masses of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas