Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:27 AM

22 posts, read 28,903 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm considering moving to Plano but will have to drive daily to Irving so that I can drop my son off in school.
He goes to school in the University Hills area of Las Colinas and needs to be there by 8 am .
I know it will be a long drive but I'm hoping it's doable.
Does anyone know of any parts of Plano where it would take less time to get to Las Colinas during rush hour? I'm thinking I should avoid east Plano?
Thank you!
Scared!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
There are so many closer, very nice places to live. If you are dead set on Plano, are you sure your son's school doesn't have a bus service you can pay for? I think that's a really unacceptable roundtrip commute 2x daily.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:15 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
There are lots of good schools in Plano and nearby Dallas & Addison, you shouldn't have any issue finding a similar or better institution.

However, if you want to drive from Plano to Las Colinas then stay in Far West Plano near DNT & George Bush. That area is THE best spot for commute to Dallas/Irving/airports from northern suburbs. It also puts you near Shops At Legacy & Shops At Willow Bend. Shops At Willow Bend is getting a billion dollar overhaul and Shops of Legacy and West Village areas are expanding as well. It is THE HOTTEST spot in Texas.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 09-26-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-26-2016, 10:23 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
The Hurst, Euless, and Bedford areas are pretty nice and would be a quick drive to Irving.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,048,957 times
Although I live in Garland its basically GBush/75. I work in Las Colinas on a average it takes me 45 min each way, however add an accident and it will take longer. I go 75-635 to Luna. There is always and accident on Bush if not that its something else

Old 09-26-2016, 10:54 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I assume your son attends Cistercian. I believe there is one Cistercian bus stop in West Plano. That seems like a no brainer vs you making two round trip drives each day.

However, given your other thread about air quality, I would not move to Plano in your situation and don't think you'll have any measurable improvement. If you want to live on a green belt, look for something that backs up to the Four Seasons golf course of one of the other golf courses in LC.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 AM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
Listen to TurtleCreek80 and UnfairPark. You're talking about one of the worst commutes in the Metroplex.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I assume your son attends Cistercian. I believe there is one Cistercian bus stop in West Plano. That seems like a no brainer vs you making two round trip drives each day.

However, given your other thread about air quality, I would not move to Plano in your situation and don't think you'll have any measurable improvement. If you want to live on a green belt, look for something that backs up to the Four Seasons golf course of one of the other golf courses in LC.
Couldn't it be Highlands School as well? We have family friends who are VERY Catholic and that's where they will send their kids when they age out of their current Catholic elementary because "a lot of the Catholic high schools in Dallas aren't Catholic enough". I think it's in that same area near UD. Anyways, it's important to them for religious reasons that they use that particular school despite the commute. This might also explain why OP might be willing to endure the drive.

OP, as people mentioned, this is an incredibly taxing commute. Understanding the motivation for either side of the equation would be helpful. At some point, you might want to think very hard about what is important about sending a kid to that particular school, or else what is important about living in Plano. I don't envy that drive on a longer term basis.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:08 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Prince Of Peace, St Mark and JP ll are catholic schools in Plano. Elite Dallas schools are at a reasonable distance as well, compared to Las Colinas.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:12 PM

22 posts, read 28,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Thank you so much for reading and commenting on both my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: