Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:22 AM

23 posts, read 22,238 times

Advertisements

HUGE help on the Catholic schools, THANK YOU!! I grew up going to Catholic school up through HS in Georgia. Class size was 2 classes in each grade. Each class had 28-32 kids. High school had about 130 students per grade. The Catholic school my kids currently attend have 3 classes in each grade. Each class has 19-26 kids. The school my kids currently attend have about 600+ students, roughly. That's a large school to me and the largest Catholic elementary/middle school in Minneapolis.

It sounds like POP is VERY large, from what I'm reading. I also don't prefer small schools, though . There are a few Catholic schools around here that only have 7-12 kids in each grade. I don't know how they even stay open.

I don't know how to quote specific sentences of threads, so I'll just do this...
Carla125
"Even though West Plano schools are Top tier, I would never send my kids back there, but that is another topic for another day."

I'd love to hear your opinion on what you didn't like about the public school. Suburbs outside of Minneapolis receive some of the highest rankings for public schools. When our first daughter was going to start kindergarten my husband and I attended the open house of a few schools and we were extremely disappointed. First, a little over 60% of our property taxes go to public schools. Currently our taxes are $6700, with that amount being taken for the school system, I think the schools should be amazing! Schools should be updated, have top technology equipment, school security, all the bells and whistles. They really had none of it. And the principals continually pushed Spanish, French and Chinese immersion programs.

I don't know how they do it in Texas, but religion (christian to be exact) has been completely erased from the public school system. Secondly, all public schools up here have removed "one nation under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance. Just before Halloween parents are sent home with a list of costumes kids can not dress up as at school, as it is offensive to some families. Examples of the costumes you can't wear are: nuns, priests, american indians, ninjas, angels.

And thirdly, Minnesota has the largest Somali population. Girls are aloud to wear hijabs (for those that are unfamiliar:veil that covers their head and chest, face is left open) to school, and that's not offensive?! They can even wear them for drivers license photos. Okay, I may be getting off topic here...

I am just not happy with the public schools. They seem to let anything go, as to not offend someone. We are just not looking for a school like that.

Last edited by Texasotian; 10-06-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 10:18 AM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasotian View Post
HUGE help on the Catholic schools, THANK YOU!! I grew up going to Catholic school up through HS in Georgia. Class size was 2 classes in each grade. Each class had 28-32 kids. High school had about 130 students per grade. The Catholic school my kids currently attend have 3 classes in each grade. Each class has 19-26 kids. The school my kids currently attend have about 600+ students, roughly. That's a large school to me and the largest Catholic elementary/middle school in Minneapolis.

It sounds like POP is VERY large, from what I'm reading. I also don't prefer small schools, though . There are a few Catholic schools around here that only have 7-12 kids in each grade. I don't know how they even stay open.

I don't know how to quote specific sentences of threads, so I'll just do this...
Carla125
"Even though West Plano schools are Top tier, I would never send my kids back there, but that is another topic for another day."

I'd love to hear your opinion on what you didn't like about the public school. Suburbs outside of Minneapolis receive some of the highest rankings for public schools. When our first daughter was going to start kindergarten my husband and I attended the open house of a few schools and we were extremely disappointed. First, a little over 60% of our property taxes go to public schools. Currently our taxes are $6700, with that amount being taken for the school system, I think the schools should be amazing! Schools should be updated, have top technology equipment, school security, all the bells and whistles. They really had none of it. And the principals continually pushed Spanish, French and Chinese immersion programs.

I don't know how they do it in Texas, but religion (christian to be exact) has been completely erased from the public school system. Secondly, all public schools up here have removed "one nation under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance. Just before Halloween parents are sent home with a list of costumes kids can not dress up as at school, as it is offensive to some families. Examples of the costumes you can't wear are: nuns, priests, american indians, ninjas, angels.

And thirdly, Minnesota has the largest Somali population. Girls are aloud to wear hijabs (for those that are unfamiliar:veil that covers their head and chest, face is left open) to school, and that's not offensive?! They can even wear them for drivers license photos. Okay, I may be getting off topic here...

I am just not happy with the public schools. They seem to let anything go, as to not offend someone. We are just not looking for a school like that.

I hadn't spoken to her in a long while so I just reached out to a friend at POP.

FAQ:
All of the catholic schools around here and especially those in Plano are being absolutely inundated with applications for next Fall from Toyota and Toyota related families.

IMO you should fill out POP's online app today. I believe St. Mark has an online app as well. I'd guess most of the others do as well. Actually, assuming the geography makes any sense I'd fill out apps for POP, St. Mark, St. Rita, St. Monica and any others that strike your fancy pronto.

I have no affiliation with POP at all but I did for many years and I know how they think. Don't let the Toyota crush bother your too much. They are not going to stack classes with too many Toyota kids - so in a sense the Toyota kid will be competing within their own cadre to a degree.

So far as size POP PPK-8 has just over 800 students with an average class size of 25/26. All classes have a pro teacher and at least one assistant.

I'll send you an email - you should reach out ASAP.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:11 AM

filling them out now Thanks!

Old 10-06-2016, 12:14 PM

9 posts, read 8,957 times
My son goes to an Episcopal Private school and it is wonderful and offer chapel and studies very similar to Catholic schools. You might consider Episcopal schools as you are shopping around for schools.

Moderator cut: No soliciting

Last edited by Acntx; 10-06-2016 at 06:48 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 01:46 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,075,807 times
Quote:

Good Lord. I dont even know how to start.

Well, opinions like these are why i steer VERY clear of religious private schools lest my kids be on a forum one day in the future fretting over having their kids go to school with somali women and language immersion programs.

Anyway...for Catholic schools i vote for Prince of Peace, large(relatively), academically and reputationally sound. It may be a wait to get in though so apply asap if its a serious contender.

SMH.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:28 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,134,584 times
Quote:

Carla125

WOW! If you think you can't brainwash your kids enough at home and have to find likeminded people to help. What's diffrent between you and those Somali parents who are brainwashing or forcing their young girls to wear hijjaib and stuff like that?

Old 10-06-2016, 03:42 PM

If I offended you I apologize. That what not my intent at all. I am not trying to start an argument here. I wrote the things I did to give this forum an idea of what the public schools are like in Minnesota and I'm wondering if the public schools are the same in Texas.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:21 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,075,807 times
Quote:
If I offended you I apologize. That what not my intent at all. I am not trying to start an argument here. I wrote the things I did to give this forum an idea of what the public schools are like in Minnesota and I'm wondering if the public schools are the same in Texas.
First, public school in texas overall arent as well ranked academically compared to MN. However Plano ISD would be one of those exceptions. And herein lies the irony...

Public schools in Texas have A LOT more immigrant groups than the ones you are running from in MN. Not to minimize the issue, I have lived in a place that had a large Somali refugee population and i'm no stranger to the problems that brings with it. However the children and their hijabs would not even make the list of issues of concern with that group.

We have a ton of South Asians(India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc) very many people of middle eastern descent, a soon to be majority people of Hispanic descent ( especially in catholic communities) large present Jewish communities and lots and lots of East asians. Lots of these communities have a STRONG presence in private schools and some dominate ( and by dominate i mean THEY are the majority) some of the best schools in Texas, particularly in Plano ISD. The very area/ district you may end up in.

If Hijabs and its associated religion are a bit of an issue for you, The DFW area and Plano in particular will be a rude awakening. Those languages you are fretting about.... especially spanish... ARE EVERYWHERE, kids who speak those languages as natives are too. Enrolling in Catholic schools wont ensure their absence. At all.

I've never understood why Catholics in particular would have an issue with Hijabs seeing as Mary is oft depicted as wearing one and Nuns have their own version of it. Maybe if reffered to in its English name it would be less threatening? Or in Hebrew? Anything but Arabic?

My point is the things you dont like about MN schools you'll find in truckloads here. On the flip side you will also find truckloads of people who support your views and share your concerns. Many of them will be in the many, many, many,many, many, churches we have on literally every corner of our cities... so, no need to worry.

SMH

Old 10-06-2016, 04:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
I don't even know how to begin unpacking your last post. But if you're asking if the public schools here are diverse, then the answer is YES! Texas is a "minority majority" state, and DFW is no different. Public schools - as well as neighborhoods all over the metroplex- are bursting with diversity! We obviously have a very large Hispanic population, primarily from Mexico but also from central and South American countries. We have a good-sized refugee population from Iraq and quite a few west African countries. And a huge Asian population from China, India, Korea, and Vietnam. Your neighbors could be hijab-wearing Muslims or vegetarian Hindus or Orthodox Jews or even atheists/agnostics. Oh, and I think the 3rd largest gay population in the US. Yes, there are a lot of Christians here, but Dallas is WAY more diverse than it was 40 years ago.

50% of Collin County was not born in Texas and 25% was not even born in the US.

If you aren't ok with diversity on your doorstep, a move to DFW is probably not going to make you happy. Said another way- if you are going to be "offended" (WTF, btw?!?!) by hijab-wearing mothers at your neighborhood grocery store or Starbucks, maybe try moving to West Virginia or Kentucky. I find it particularly maddening to see a Catholic take that kind of attitude towards Muslims as anyone with minimal knowledge of US history knows how badly Catholics were persucuted and discriminated against in the US until just a few decades ago.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 10-06-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 05:35 PM

37 posts, read 142,557 times
Hi!! So here is my take on the public system, but I think my concerns apply across the board and not at a particular school district. We went to West Plano schools, to give you a perspective West Plano High is rated in the top 10, maybe it is 20, HS in the US. I had both social and academic concerns.

Academically, by 4th grade, my son had had every teacher along the way be out for most of the school year, call it bad luck, it probably was, it was either pregnancy, medical, marriage, all situations you can understand, but when you have 4 years of subs at public school between schools in CA and TX, it is not a good situation. In addition, there are programs for gifted kids and remedial kids and the other kids cruise along. In elementary, academic excellence isn't recognized, that is it isn't that cool to have all As, it is ok to be average, well that was cutting it for my kids, they are smart boys but not gifted so they cruised along. Then the state tests and teaching all year to test take drove me nuts. Once the state test was taken, it was almost a free for all. It is ok to not do homework, your parents can always arrange for makeup work. I do hear that in MS it is cool to have good grades. I was amazed at the prep school curriculum once they attended Catholic School- we transferred in when my oldest was in 5th grade, he is in 8th, so this is our 4th school year- I am amazed at the projects, papers, research papers, critical thinking and the quality of work he is held to. I think you will find this both at POP and St. Mark.

As far as socially, I was also fed up with the fact that I am completely open to all people and all religions, but even speaking about Christian beliefs is almost a crime. It was sad when my younger one was in 1st grade he came home constantly saying that his peers made fun of him cause Santa didn't exist nor did Jesus. The bullying was not addressed properly either.

Plano schools are very diverse and most all of the Valedictorians are of Asian decent. I am not saying it is wrong, it is what it is. I do know that while my kids play sports and attend fun academic challenges, the Asian kids are attending Saturday and Sunday academic schools in their communities that help push them to academic excellence. I am not saying one is right or wrong, we all do what we believe is best for our kids, I want my kids to be rounded in many disciplines, religious and know how to lead and participate in a team setting. Other parents are looking for the valedictorian title and a perfect SAT score. I don't think either of us are wrong.

I also found a community that embraced us both at POP when we were parishioners and at St. Mark. We have made great friends and belong to a community that we can relate to both religiously and within our values. I can't say I really bonded or felt part of a community in public school.

Yes, Toyota and Chase are moving in, right off of the Tollway, so they would naturally apply to POP since it is off the Tollway. From my experience once you get to 4th-5th grade there is a wait list. It will be easier to get them in if you have a child in the younger years and then they get sibling priority. After two years that we had been accepted and were part of the community, we went to St. Mark and fell in love with the school. It has about 550 students from K-8 and is managed very well. We have had a new principal for the last 2 years that is making renovations and modernizing the school, from infrastructure, to computer equipment to teaching techniques. I would honestly apply to both.

I think St Monica and St Rita are good schools, but if POP sounds big, these two other schools are larger. I think I would much prefer St Monica, but it is a longer trek from Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: