Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 05:53 PM

19,782 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
I'm not going to argue with you. I just recommend that you get off the freeway any time the military needs to use it. When two men get in a serious life and death fight in a bar, they won't have the time to think whether any babies are in the way.

I went to listen to a Jewish man talk about being a kid and surviving the end of the war. Walking out from the concentration camp led him to a brand spanking new autobaun.

The idea of having service roads isn't insane. They have to have them.
You won't argue with me because you are totally wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
But they don't usually run right through the middle of the city. They usually bypass the main part of the city.

Imagine how much worse I-95 would be if it ran right through the middle of DC, NYC, and Boston.
DC/NYC/Boston are largely exceptions because those cities were developed long before the interstates went through them and freeway revolts took place. 95 runs through the middle of Miami, Interstate 20 passes right by Downtown Atlanta and the 75/85 Combination goes right through the heart of downtown Atlanta. 90/94 runs right in the heart of Chicago and is a well-known traffic nightmare.

Interstate 5 runs right by Downtown Los Angeles, and more or less in the middle of Seattle.

There are plenty of freeways that run right through the middle of cities, major cities at that.

I could go on, but freeways actually run right through the middle of cities in many places

Last edited by biscuit_head; 10-12-2016 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 07:44 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Actually, if you look at the Kessler plan and the locations of the original Dallas freeways, the Dallas rail lines were relocated to largely skirt the city center, and the freeways also largely skirted the city center. It's just that the city center is now enormously larger than it was in the 1910s (when the rail lines and the river were relocated), the 1920s/30s (when Central Ave. and Coit Road's replacement by Central Expressway (yes, most people don't realize that Coit Road used to run at least as far south as Mockingbird Ln.) was planned), and the 1940s (when Stemmons Freeway was planned).

I would agree that even given the smaller-at-the-time size of the city center, Stemmons and Central Expressway should have been offset further than they were. But Stemmons' location, I assume, was governed by the location of the river (they would have wanted it on the east side of the river, which is where it is) and Central Expressway's location, I suspect, was largely governed by the availability of the railway right-of-way.

Interstate 30 also runs to the South of downtown but it could have been offset further to the south.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
Interstate 5 runs right by Downtown Los Angeles, and more or less in the middle of Seattle.
Just like in Dallas, these freeways bulldozed neighborhoods in the 1950s and 1960s to be built.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:49 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Just like in Dallas, these freeways bulldozed neighborhoods in the 1950s and 1960s to be built.
This is true and it's also true that many major cities made this terrible mistake. The inner city freeway is a symbol of economic segregation.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:08 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
This is true and it's also true that many major cities made this terrible mistake. The inner city freeway is a symbol of economic segregation.
US-71 is the racial dividing line for Kansas City. In an attempt to combat this, the city installed stoplights and cross streets at several points. It hasn't made much of a difference.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:38 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
US-71 is the racial dividing line for Kansas City. In an attempt to combat this, the city installed stoplights and cross streets at several points. It hasn't made much of a difference.
This is an interesting story of how that stretch of 71 came to be:

Road Rage | Kansas City Pitch

I'm no conservative, but I can definitely see how government intervention for the "greater good" caused more harm in this instance. And as you said, did nothing to stop the dividing line in that part of KCMO. Even the neighborhood that sued and protested want that section of 71 to be converted into a freeway.

Not only that, it's a serious traffic hazard and accidents have increased exponentially at those stoplights because a freeway isn't meant to have stoplights along the stretch.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:43 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,854 times
I love the Texas U Turn. Never seen it anywhere else.

And, just leaving this here in case any readers haven't seen it:

* A New Dallas

Old 10-12-2016, 03:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
This is an interesting story of how that stretch of 71 came to be:

Road Rage | Kansas City Pitch

I'm no conservative, but I can definitely see how government intervention for the "greater good" caused more harm in this instance. And as you said, did nothing to stop the dividing line in that part of KCMO. Even the neighborhood that sued and protested want that section of 71 to be converted into a freeway.

Not only that, it's a serious traffic hazard and accidents have increased exponentially at those stoplights because a freeway isn't meant to have stoplights along the stretch.
Very interesting article!

The first time I drove on that highway was the weirdest experience. There are regular exits like you'd have on a highway, but there are also cross streets and stoplights at certain places.

Near downtown, it's just like a normal freeway. Then it turns into something like Lemmon Ave in Dallas, except there isn't much on the side of the road. When you get south enough, it turns back into a highway again.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:51 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,573 times
Quote:
They have multiple names. Just depends on where you are from. I've always called it a service road.

As I was researching it, I found that TXDOT was considering dropping frontage roads. Not sure if it actually went through.

They are functional, but I think highways look better without.

This looks better

Than this

I actually think the bottom pic looks better, Id rather see urban sprawl than a bunch of the same damn boring trees......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas