Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:38 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
The last wave of small business creation in the United States happened during the slump of the mid-eighties. Laid off employees with money back then weren't offered years of unemployment compensation creating incentive for them to start small businesses. Meanwhile, the feds have been allowing humpty dumpty mega corporations to reform. These corrupt corporations tend to be run by ponzie scheming psychopaths.

Dallas at one time had 10,000 corpations which was more than any other city in the United States. I don't believe that is the case any longer. Its list of top 200 largest corporations has shrunk to 100 during the last 20 years.

Yet, an economy with small businesses hires more employees, pays them better, and pays more into taxes. I don't know why economists in Dallas go so batty over corporations relocating to the area. It is not a good thing in the long run.
What???? How can the top 200 shrink to 100? Are you saying that Dallas only has 100 large corporations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:43 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
I am wondering why every other place I have lived has lots of small businesses. Frisco and Plano and Dallas seem to be really void of small business and companies that actually started here.

Around here there is not much small business only large companies, When a small restaurant that is not a chain opens up it pretty much stays empty and is gone within a year. Try to find a bunch of good small boutiques or independent stores and they are all struggling to survive. No one ever shops there. It seems like all everyone does here is shop at big box stores and eat and drink at chain restaurants.

What worse if you have a business and try to network all you meet at mary kay and other multilevel marketing reps. Really hard to network with those people and build anything.

It's like your forced to go work at a large company here and forget about really doing anything else.

Do what? They are all around you....Fort Worth born and raised, and have seen them up close and personal as my father has owned one, and I two....

Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 PM

242 posts, read 360,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Keep digging OP you are half way to China by now. Oil does not drive the dallas economy.

OP you calling chase an oil related bank lol? It does have a rockafeller connection but that is long long ago. Rule 1 when your digging a hole when you intended not to do so.........it's stop digging.
Chase is a New York Bank located everywhere?? That is likes like saying mc Donalds is a local restaurant because it is down the street.

Try looking at Amergy Bank or Texas Capital it is these banks that lend are the best banks that will to small businesses in the area. Big banks sometimes are not always the best place to borrow from.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:13 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Chase is building a campus to hold initially 6k jobs and eventually 9k. This isn't a branch office rocket scientist,wake up man.

I should not assume with you, 6k is a lot of jobs at one location even for a big bank you claimed was oil related.

This has to be one of the 5 largest locations in the globe Chase has.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Chase is building a campus to hold initially 6k jobs and eventually 9k. This isn't a branch office rocket scientist,wake up man.

I should not assume with you, 6k is a lot of jobs at one location even for a big bank you claimed was oil related.

This has to be one of the 5 largest locations in the globe Chase has.
If we are the 5th largest location for Chase in the Globe then there shafting us on Jobs. First off we are the 4th biggest metro area and more then likely higher in regional size since they brought a big Texas Banks in the 90's.

Chase is in almost every state and has campuses everywhere. I would expect them to have thousands of jobs based on deposits in the area.

Chase bank takes money from the area and lends elsewhere just like Bank of America and Wells Fargo. I could bank with these banks in any small town in America never mind Dallas.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:12 PM

254 posts, read 191,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
What???? How can the top 200 shrink to 100? Are you saying that Dallas only has 100 large corporations?
The list of largest public companies in Dallas was once 200 strong. It is now 100 strong. This doen't include private companies and large subsideraries.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
If we are the 5th largest location for Chase in the Globe then there shafting us on Jobs. First off we are the 4th biggest metro area and more then likely higher in regional size since they brought a big Texas Banks in the 90's.

Chase is in almost every state and has campuses everywhere. I would expect them to have thousands of jobs based on deposits in the area.

Chase bank takes money from the area and lends elsewhere just like Bank of America and Wells Fargo. I could bank with these banks in any small town in America never mind Dallas.
Chase is global. You clearly have no clue how a global organizes, it's not staffed by city based on deposits. IT allows jobs to be done remotely. You seem unable to keep your illogical thought thread to thread. I feel for your emoloyer.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSD88 View Post
I don't agree with much of what the OP is saying here, but given that Chase has over 250,000 employees worldwide, 6,000 represents a very small percentage, and I would doubt that number would put Dallas in the top 5 for number of employees, but I'm willing to be proven incorrect. Not really sure the point of discussing a large NY banking conglomerate anyway.
Each branch has staff but the 6k are not at a bank is a remote staff of which most locations will not have did yiu think there are 6k at a branch of the bank in legacy west? I hope you and op work for small businesses as you don't seem to have a clue about a global business like chase or oil and gas.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:03 PM

I do not get your logic chase employs more people in Houston and tampa in the back office.

Bank of America has much more presssance for extra jobs with the mortgage operations.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:32 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
OP you are very wrong. You're trolling us aren't you?

Or you are just very young and clueless about the businesses in North TX.
Actually he's kind...of right.

Does DFW have small businesses? of course, but they're not as prosperous due to the larger chains and companies, so you don't see them in large numbers. That's one of the major things that also caught my attention about North Texas. My personal opinion of what a small business is, are those that barely have logos, nothing but a simple generic font and name. You know, something along the lines like Greg's Pharmacy, Dominican Salon, Windsor's Grocery, La Nueva Michoacana, Super Oriental Market, or etc. etc. most of the time these businesses are distinct to their specific neighborhood/area, let alone the city.

For a broad example, see LA or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas