Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 01:12 AM

37 posts, read 38,256 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to Dallas (probably one of the north Dallas suburbs) from San Diego and we'll be looking for a house. We'll be there in January and we'll have a day or two for house searching. We'd like an agent who can spend some time with us and show us some properties. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 AM

49 posts, read 68,029 times
Before finding a realtor, I would narrow down your search area. I've found the realtors in Dallas are very regional and like to push you towards area's they know, even though it may not be a good place for you and your family.

I am in the process of moving to Southlake and this board did help a great deal in narrowing my search.

Most people are going to ask where is work going to be and what is your budget, then they will recommend the best areas to be for that budget and what is most important to you, say schools, nightlife, diversity...

Also, you will have REVERSE sticker shock, DO NOT OVERPAY!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Old 12-16-2016, 06:42 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Once the area is nailed down a little more, if its a northern suburb where listings maybe in shorter supply than buyers, I recommend focusing on which realtor group gets a lot of listings in that area. That group or a buyers side group associated with them in this area might have best access to new listings or listings that are coming to market so you have a broader list of options at any given point in time. Welcome to DFW

Old 12-16-2016, 07:05 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
In the last few years it's become very difficult to come into town for a few days and find a home due to low inventory. Many Buyers have to be here in temporary living while they look for houses. You'll need the flexibility to go see houses as they hit the market.

If you're coming to purchase, be prepared to be disappointed. You need to be Pre-qualified and prepared for a possibility of Multiple offers depending on your price range.

If you're coming to just look around then you'll be OK. 98% of moving here is figuring where you want to live.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the advice. How would recommend "looking around" ? just drive down the neighborhoods?
(we don't care about school districts).

Old 12-16-2016, 10:42 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbluenote View Post
Thanks for the advice. How would recommend "looking around" ? just drive down the neighborhoods?
(we don't care about school districts).

I would start with some basics - where is the job and what is your budget? The traffic here can be pretty awful (maybe not LA awful, but heavy just the same) There are so many options that most people don't have to have a long commute to get the house that they want. Also - are you looking for a single-family-home, townhome, condo? You say you don't care about schools but it will affect resale.

Give us some info and we can point you in a starting direction.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I would start with some basics - where is the job and what is your budget? The traffic here can be pretty awful (maybe not LA awful, but heavy just the same) There are so many options that most people don't have to have a long commute to get the house that they want. Also - are you looking for a single-family-home, townhome, condo? You say you don't care about schools but it will affect resale.

Give us some info and we can point you in a starting direction.
Job is in downtown Dallas but I'll mostly work from home and only commute a couple of days per week with flexible hours. Looking for a single family home. I'd like to get something at around 400k but we might be able to stretch it up to 600k or more if there's something special we really like. from the little research I've done, I like the northern subrubs (Frisco, Mckinney, Prosper, Allen etc). I've never been there so it's possible that once I am there things may change drastically or we may decide that we want to be closer to the city.
I am merely trying to arm myself with the most information I can get.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:34 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I would plan two trips- one for researching and one for buying/looking. Ideally, you'll want to drive around the neighborhoods or suburbs that interest you from afar, spending time at restaurants or coffee shops there to get a feel for the residents and if you are comfortable there. It would also be a good idea to drive the commute in rush hour to know what you're signing up for. McKinney or Frisco to downtown is an absolute beating, even a few days a week.

Then, once you've narrowed your areas of interest, ask for recommendations of top agents in those specific areas. Someone who is an expert in Frisco may know very little about Allen or other places should you end up in a completely different area.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Remember folks, you cannot name a realtor on the board. Once the OP has narrowed down his/her choices, then send them a DM.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas