Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:36 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,506,043 times

Advertisements

I live in north Collin County and was very surprised by the diversity in my neighborhood when we moved in a little over a year ago. We have a large combination of Muslims, Asians, east Indians, African-American, white Christian folk and life-long Texans and Oklahomans in our development. I prefer living in a culturally diverse area and had no idea north Texas fit the bill until I got here. I would hate to be in a neighborhood where everyone comes from the same background...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,982,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
I am seeing the same thing. I can't complain but at the same time we are not talking about diversity we are talking about living in an indian neighborhood. Diversity to me means you have multiple ethnic groups including white and latino's and black in the neighborhood. There is also the issue of religion as well we are christian and they are not. If your not christian you have a different set of values period.

I have nothing wrong with diversity but I am seeing is a sweeping of south asian immigration in the wealthier areas of DFW. I am not seeing black, latino, or european and chinese move in lately. 5 years ago that was more so the case. I didn't choose to live neighborhood like this so yes it is an issue. I am starting to see white flight in Frisco.

The bigger question for me is why is Dallas attracting more south asian immigrants then other areas of the county. Are they moving here from other areas of the country or are we seeing a direct influx from Asia. The census data I see is too old as most of the change has happened in the last 5 years.

1.) Not all Indians are Hindu. North Indians tend to be Hindu, with some being Muslim or Sikh. People from South India are often Christian (you may notice quite a few with last names like Mathew or James). It won't always be easy to tell at a distance for sure.

2.) Latinos are everywhere but less prevalent in the far northern suburbs. Black professionals tend to spread out in DFW, so you won't find high concentrations in any one place...with some exceptions like DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville etc. Whites that ARE NOT native to TX appear reluctant to live inside I-635. They all flock to the north in search of McMansions and decent schools that are 90% white. Only the upper crust transplants move to "actual Dallas" and that's usually because they're living in HP, Preston Hollow etc., and plan on sending their kids to Hockaday or St. Mark's.

3.) Once a few people from an ethnic group move to a place, word of mouth spreads and a community forms. Foreigners want to know that they will have some level of support (grocery stores, places of worship and so forth). Look at the Tongans/Samoans in the HEB area or Nigerians in Houston.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:06 PM

422 posts, read 517,795 times
Quote:
My daughter was told only Christmas was made up and she is a gullible Christian.
I cannot count the times that my children were told they were going to burn in hell by their kind-hearted Christian classmates. ~60% of the world's people are not Christian. Get over it.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:08 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,138,672 times
In our case, children loved being in diverse schools, eating exotic cuisines, trying ethnic clothing, debating diffrent point of views and learning new things. In colleges they realized how open minded their peers from diverse big schools are compared to ones who weren't that privileged and grew up seeing only one side of everything. Kids from diverse communities are more poised to work in diffrent settings and be comfortable in global roles.

They remain true to their religion and culture but are able to accept diffrences and embrace others.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,632,677 times
We moved from Plano to Southwest Houston. My wife is Southeast Asian (Thai) and I am an Irreligious Arab. In the case of the North side of Plano, it wasn't the diversification, it was that the neighborhood had been swallowed by the Indian community. We were one of only two non-Indian couples on our block.

The area of Houston we live in is diverse. Tons of Hispanics, Africans, Asians, white folks, etc. Everyone mixes well. There are areas of Dallas that are like that too, but in the case of North Plano it was just an enormous Indian population explosion. Its not diverse, just Indian.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:08 PM

445 posts, read 409,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
We moved from Plano to Southwest Houston. My wife is Southeast Asian (Thai) and I am an Irreligious Arab. In the case of the North side of Plano, it wasn't the diversification, it was that the neighborhood had been swallowed by the Indian community. We were one of only two non-Indian couples on our block.

The area of Houston we live in is diverse. Tons of Hispanics, Africans, Asians, white folks, etc. Everyone mixes well. There are areas of Dallas that are like that too, but in the case of North Plano it was just an enormous Indian population explosion. Its not diverse, just Indian.
Chinese communities came before Indians and took over most of North Plano within Plano ISD. They are the primary reason why Scaggs/Rice/Plano West are so much better that everyone here brags about. I am not sure what people want - predominantly white neighborhood with highly rated schools without Asian students? If so, please push your kids the same way Chinese and Indians do. It's not the school buildings or teachers or administration that makes those schools great, that's for sure

Old 12-29-2016, 05:14 PM

125 posts, read 189,791 times
Quote:
I am sick and tired of people like you. You claim everyone is racist or a bigot. The post your referring to actually explains a lot. For some reason you think I am racist if I think the same way as South Asians.

I get why they want would want to move to an area where there other like them I applaud them for doing so. But if there moving here because they want to socialize with other Indian families then what makes you think I am racist for thinking the same thing.

I have no issue with them as neighbors but when you BBQ steak in your backyard and then your neighbors complains it makes him sick you have wonder especially when you live in Texas. I also agree it hard to relate to someone if they have a different religion, eat different things and watch different sports and different values on how family should live in the same household.

My kids have same problem in school and actually have been the ones to bring up why there are not more people like them. My daughter was told only Christmas was made up and she is a gullible Christian. I would think that most people would agree that is an issue. These are kids so you have to expect this sort of thing. But it a makes me think that area is changing. This after all is the Bible belt and 20 years ago that kid would have had a talking too by the school for saying anything like that and possibly expelled.

There is nothing wrong with this type of thing but at certain point you have to ask yourself is the the same place I moved to. I believe it a big reason you are seeing such an increase in certain areas. There is a lot areas I can move to they can't. The bigger question is to move somewhere that makes sense for me.
Stop spewing your liberal hate and go back to loving Bernie.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 PM

422 posts, read 517,795 times
A little news about our local Asian Indian community: "In mid-December, the Dallas-Fort Worth Tamil community gave $500,000 to help establish a chair in Tamil literature at Harvard University." Y'all should be proud to share your neighborhood. D-FW donors give biggest contribution to Harvard chair in Tamil literature | Philanthropy | Dallas News

Old 12-29-2016, 07:52 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,101,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Your post is offensive and RIFE with stereotypes and condescending statements. You're just as bad as the OP, who doesn't seem to want neighbors living next door or across the street from him just because they are Indian and look different and have a different culture than he does.
I agree, as if American culture doesn't suffer the obsession with money and excessive materialism .

Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,535,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbyK View Post
Stop spewing your liberal hate and go back to loving Bernie.
I respect Bernie. What of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas