Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:41 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
Yea, my wife has a so called softish degree and hasn't even cracked $40k yet here in DFW, despite the fact she has 10+ years experience and made almost $80k back in NYC, years ago. DFW salaries seem to be pretty anemic for people who aren't in tech/medicine/finance/law.
This is because there are far, far too many people with softish degrees these days and there was never much money in it anyway. If the OP has a choice of cities between Dallas or Houston if all else is equal they should pick Houston...overall COL is lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 04:10 PM

380 posts, read 368,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
If your debt is student-loan debt, a job with the right kind of non-profit may be able help you with repayment (loan forgiveness programs).
Word to the wise, it takes more than just being with the right kind of non-profit or government employer. Your loan has to be a very specific kind. I just learned that the hard way. Not that I did anything wrong - my loan was taken out and consolidated way before the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program became law. Not that I'm bitter about that.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 12,317 times
Law Enforcement

Especially in the jails. Your knowledge and background can help you get a good paying steady job that will pay off your bills. Plus when you are ready to move on to the career choice of dreams you will have had first hand experience what these people were doing prior to your meeting.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:06 PM

216 posts, read 280,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianote93 View Post
I recently graduated college with a bachelors in social work. I want to move to Houston or Dallas to live on my own but I m $30,000 in debt. What kind of job can I get and will employers be willing to hire me when I live out of state?
If it's Stafford student loan debt enroll in an income based repayment plan and based on your salary your payments could be very low.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
Yea, my wife has a so called softish degree and hasn't even cracked $40k yet here in DFW, despite the fact she has 10+ years experience and made almost $80k back in NYC, years ago. DFW salaries seem to be pretty anemic for people who aren't in tech/medicine/finance/law.
This is the same issue I'm facing. Except that I'm not really in a "softish" degree area. I do software technical support work in the higher education setting. I make less than $50K in DFW (at the midpoint salary level for my position), yet I see job postings all the time in places like Akron, OH with a starting salary of $55K. With my experience, I'd probably be able to get at least $60K.

Then I'll see another posting at a public university in Texas and the starting salary will be $40K, so I guess it's the entire higher education system in Texas.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 PM

216 posts, read 280,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
This is the same issue I'm facing. Except that I'm not really in a "softish" degree area. I do software technical support work in the higher education setting. I make less than $50K in DFW (at the midpoint salary level for my position), yet I see job postings all the time in places like Akron, OH with a starting salary of $55K. With my experience, I'd probably be able to get at least $60K.

Then I'll see another posting at a public university in Texas and the starting salary will be $40K, so I guess it's the entire higher education system in Texas.
I think you're right. I feel like universities here do not pay that well. I did work for Tarrant County College and they paid reasonably well but that was definintely the exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas