Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:16 AM

95 posts, read 77,035 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated college with a bachelors in social work. I want to move to Houston or Dallas to live on my own but I m $30,000 in debt. What kind of job can I get and will employers be willing to hire me when I live out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 04:50 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Get your Social Work license LBSW. Without the license, you cannot work as a social worker in Texas.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianote93 View Post
I recently graduated college with a bachelors in social work. I want to move to Houston or Dallas to live on my own but I m $30,000 in debt. What kind of job can I get and will employers be willing to hire me when I live out of state?
This is what I'd do. I'd leverage that degree into a sales or marketing position. The hard truth is there are just way to many young people with softish degrees part of that means pay will not be very good - teaching, social work/sociology/BS psychology/history etc.

However, if you feel it in your belly that you must do social work get the credentials needed and work weekends at some kind of second job and get that debt paid down ASAP.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:03 AM

Someone who got a degree in Social Work probably has zero interest in doing sales or marketing. If they wanted to do that, they would have gotten that degree instead.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Someone who got a degree in Social Work probably has zero interest in doing sales or marketing. If they wanted to do that, they would have gotten that degree instead.
It sounds like the OP is long way from becoming a licensed social worker. Even then the field does not pay well and the OP carries a good deal of debt. My advice to the OP is to branch out.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
You can get the license now, apply online. I am a licensed psychologist so I don't know much about BSW positions, most I see are MSWs.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:19 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times
Being an out of state candidate won't matter as long as you're able to pay your own expenses to come interview should you get invited.

There are no positions for Social Work that doesn't require a Masters, the field is over populated and requiring a Masters is a way to keep it competitive.

I would advise healthcare administrations jobs within a hospital that way you can network within and have an easier transition into Social Work. You need a specialty to go along with Social Work and healthcare is big in Dallas and Houston.

So look on the hospital and healthcare company websites in Dallas and Houston and apply to entry level administration positions and your move will be contingent upon which ever city offers you a job.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:22 PM

LBSW can work in non-profit organizations and in nursing homes. They can't work in a hospital. Texas Child Protective Services will be making a big push to hire more caseworkers in 2017, so I would apply there first!

Old 12-29-2016, 03:24 PM

422 posts, read 523,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
LBSW can work in non-profit organizations and in nursing homes. \
If your debt is student-loan debt, a job with the right kind of non-profit may be able help you with repayment (loan forgiveness programs).

Old 12-30-2016, 04:14 PM

537 posts, read 597,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
This is what I'd do. I'd leverage that degree into a sales or marketing position. The hard truth is there are just way to many young people with softish degrees part of that means pay will not be very good - teaching, social work/sociology/BS psychology/history etc.

However, if you feel it in your belly that you must do social work get the credentials needed and work weekends at some kind of second job and get that debt paid down ASAP.

Good luck.
Yea, my wife has a so called softish degree and hasn't even cracked $40k yet here in DFW, despite the fact she has 10+ years experience and made almost $80k back in NYC, years ago. DFW salaries seem to be pretty anemic for people who aren't in tech/medicine/finance/law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas