Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 04:30 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,754,898 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get an unbiased eye on my overall financial picture. Anyone have any advice on a fee-only financial planner in the area, especially local to Flower Mound? I see Riverchase Wealth Management listed on NAPFA.com, but I can't find any reviews or any in-depth information. Anyone have any experience?

Also, what do these folks typically run for a short consultation and overview of where you are, goals, and any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 06:22 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,541,627 times
Looking myself!

Old 01-02-2017, 12:27 AM

56 posts, read 94,005 times
You should look for a fee-based CFP that's not selling any products. Most people don't need an investment advisor (IA) that will charge an assets under management fee perpetually. You can look for CFPs at letsmakeaplan.org and if you go the broker route, go to FINRA.org and look for broker check. Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:32 AM

242 posts, read 359,024 times
check out charles schwab. you can also go to a broker like morgan stanley or fidelity. should be free or no more the. a few hundred dollars. also be careful they make money on commissions.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
You should look for a fee-based CFP that's not selling any products. Most people don't need an investment advisor (IA) that will charge an assets under management fee perpetually. You can look for CFPs at letsmakeaplan.org and if you go the broker route, go to FINRA.org and look for broker check. Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations.
That's what I want - no selling of products, just someone with a practiced eye looking at everything and telling me what I'm doing well, what I'm doing wrong, and offering up tips and tweaks, without any goal to sell me a product.

Thanks for the letsmakeaplan.org tip, didn't know about that one.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
check out charles schwab. you can also go to a broker like morgan stanley or fidelity. should be free or no more the. a few hundred dollars. also be careful they make money on commissions.
That's exactly what I want to avoid. I don't want anyone associated with a brokerage house because they will try and sell me their products, regardless of whether or not that's what best for me.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 AM

43 posts, read 47,119 times
This is by no means a financial planner, but you can learn a lot from reading this:
The White Coat Investor

Old 01-02-2017, 11:17 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,442,415 times
Our Services | David Freeze

Old 01-02-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
That's exactly what I want to avoid. I don't want anyone associated with a brokerage house because they will try and sell me their products, regardless of whether or not that's what best for me.
would suggest you use a computer program offered for free. get a gernal idea from that. There is no such thing as a financial planner not selling commissions produt.

you best bet would be a cpa tax planner but even those guys get a kickback from everyone. a broker or financial who is good will be upfront with your fees including hidden ones. a fair fee is 1% on active managed accounts.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post

a lot of these guys get hidden kickbacks as fees. certain mutual fund and brokers pay for order flow and assets under management. i have found those so called no fee cfps to the biggest liars around think Bernie Madoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas