Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,081 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a female student that is relocating to Dallas at the end of this summer to begin my first year at the Texas A&M Baylor Collge of Dentistry. Where do students generally live? I'm not familiar with Dallas at all, and so far, I'm interested in either the Uptown area or a Village apartment.

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom/studio apartment in the $700-1000 range that is within a 15 minute or less drive from the school.

My main priorities are safety (obviously as a girl and considering that the school is a kind of sketchy area), and location. Ideally, I would like to avoid traffic as much as possible. And since I'm opting to live alone my first year, I'd prefer to live near a decent student population so that I'm not so closed off socially.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:14 PM

385 posts, read 488,733 times
Try Old East Dallas. Not the most happening area but you should find something within your price range and still be 15 minutes or less from the action. Your drive should be pretty decent as well....

I'm personally not a fan of the Village.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:30 PM

205 posts, read 279,120 times
i think uptown would be hard to pull off with that budget. there are a couple of complexes pretty much right next door to Baylor that i know medical students stay at

Old 01-05-2017, 01:23 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
Lots of bargains, complete renovations of 50s/60s style apartments and new builds in the Fitzhugh/Bennett corridor as well as along Gaston and Live Oak, especially east of Peak , which would be a short drive or couple of buses away from the Baylor area. Also puts you close to Lower Greenville, Lakewood and Henderson Ave for going out. The area is a little transitional, but I wouldn't call it high crime. Lots of high dollar homes and units in these areas. On the upswing with a ton of new construction and renovations.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:08 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
Tricky....
You want close to students you'll probably need to get closer to SMU.
My thought is probably you won't fit in with those people anyway.
You'll have your head in the books most of the time and have to be very serious about studying.
Much less so probably for many of the students you run into around SMU.
However then the price goes up. $700 is probably unrealistic.
Probably more like $1000-$1700 is more like it.
I think it will be tough anywhere to find $700.
Everywhere has crime...uptown has crime....all the high dollar places around SMU have crime.
You have to be smart everywhere in this area and pay attention to your surroundings.
As you get closer to Baylor it probably gets worse.
Just because it looks nice doesn't mean there is no crime.
I'd try to live closer to school if you can...maybe in Deep Ellum or Downtown if you can find the right price.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:20 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
Most students are going to live in Uptown, Henderson, or M-Streets. Problem is they are all out of your price range if you want your own place. I would highly suggest getting a roommate it will really open up your options. Check with the school and see if you can get a message to your incoming class. I'm sure there are others in your situation.

If you're set on going it alone, the Village would be a good choice coming from out of town. You can call the main office and they can cover all their complexes. There might my other options but it's going to be hard to find and vet them not being in town or familiar with the area. Village is a known commodity. It's a little further out but not too bad. About 20-25 minutes in rush hour. 10-12 during off peak times.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 PM

113 posts, read 155,504 times
Check out the Village Apartments. They should fit all of your requirements. Unfortunately, your budget won't afford much else, other than older apartments (not a bad thing) in transitional areas (could be a bad thing). You could also get a roommate and live somewhere nicer in Uptown or Downtown.

The Village Dallas - The Village Apartments

Last edited by lakeside15; 01-05-2017 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas