Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 PM

254 posts, read 189,977 times

Advertisements

When they hear the name Katy Trail, most people just think of it as a foot and bike path. They wonder why people make such a big deal out of it. The name is misleading. Prior to its construction by way of conversion of a rail corridor, the area was already being served by Turtle Creek which has its own parks and trails. The area also has a redeveloped park named Reverchon which was constructed back during the Great Depression. The area along Turtle Creek is also wooded with broken ground which is quite pretty.

A benefit of tge Katy Trail is how it will incorporate two luxury retail districts in the future with one being the Crescent / Harwood developments and the other Knox-Henderson. On the ends of the trail are the West End Historic District / Victory Park towards the south and Mockingbird Station to the north. At about the middle of the trail are the West Village and Turtle Creek Village shopping centers.

There is already an abundance of well entrenched retail in this area including grocery stores with many being specialty.

To protect residences along the Trail, much of the Katy towards its northern end does appear to be just a biking and walking path. Still, this portion is important in how it makes a lot of retail available.

The Katy Trail is much more than just a trail. It serves the area by connecting an already existing system of parks and trails with retail.

Add in the ingredient of a recently redeveloped and opened up Love Field pertaining to flight restrictions, shake it all up, and one has something special.

Last edited by Dallas retail updater; 01-05-2017 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:25 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,431,205 times
This is pure trolling.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:57 PM

Default So far, the momentum of the investment dlollars are supporting my argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
This is pure trolling.
How old are you? I started a thread last week stating what I knew about Mockingbird Station. The people who responded either set me straight or elaborated.

How can I troll my own thread?

People in here have been stating that the Katy Trail is just a run of the mill walking and biking path. Having been alive for many years now and after having driven around the Turtle Creek area as a youngster on the way to piano recitals, I thought perhaps they chopped down all the trees. So, I typed Katy Trail into google and clicked on images. No surprise, all the pictures posted of the Katy Trail were beautiful.

If the pictures didn't back me up, you' have an argument.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:33 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,431,205 times
It is a walking and biking path.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:47 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,264,633 times
I live right across the street from the KT and ride my bike on it quite often . It's a bike and jogging trail. Nothing more . It's nice, especially at night riding to the AA end through the lit up condos and such, and it does have the Ice House, but it's still just a nice exercise trail. There aren't people on for any other purposes such as retail shopping that I have ever seen .

And it doesn't sound like the OP has ever actually even been on the KT personally .

PS . I wish the walkers would use the ped only paths more .Its aggravating to have to dodge the walkers walking 3 abreast on a bike when the ped only path is nearly empty . It goes the same place . Why not walk in the walking only lane and make the lane for skating and bike riding MUCH less congested ?

Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,173,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
How can I troll my own thread?
In my experience, most trolls start the threads they troll in.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:56 PM

Default Again, when the investment stops in the Turtle Creek area, I'll cry uncle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I live right across the street from the KT and ride my bike on it quite often . It's a bike and jogging trail. Nothing more . It's nice, especially at night riding to the AA end through the lit up condos and such, and it does have the Ice House, but it's still just a nice exercise trail. There aren't people on for any other purposes such as retail shopping that I have ever seen .

And it doesn't sound like the OP has ever actually even been on the KT personally .

PS . I wish the walkers would use the ped only paths more .Its aggravating to have to dodge the walkers walking 3 abreast on a bike when the ped only path is nearly empty . It goes the same place . Why not walk in the walking only lane and make the lane for skating and bike riding MUCH less congested ?
I know that it is a converted railroad corridor. My argument is that it has grown outside of its original legal designation. If a trail was connected up between NorthPark Center and Highland Park Village, that would be a big deal. The Katy Trail is going to be connecting Knox Street with the Harwood and Crescent districts.

I think you are too close to the forest to see the trees. When the incredible investment in and around Turtle Creek finally cools, I will join the ranks of the unimpressed.

Here is an interesting article about the Quadrangle. At one time, it had 40 shops. Developers from around the nation visited it to check out its uniqueness. Unfortunately, much of it was demolished and replaced with an office tower.

Dallas? Quadrangle shopping center changed the neighborhood decades before Uptown | Real Estate | Dallas News

Here is an article about Cole Park and the huge storm tanks buried beneath it designed to hold runoff from flood waters from nearby Central Expressway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flashba...sprint-mvno-us

Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
In my experience, most trolls start the threads they troll in.
Sounds like an excellent way to bust in and stumble up a person's thread. But you don't bother me. And just what is the Katy Trail? Well, as the area was already a beautiful classic before it was created out of a converted rail line, I think it is incredible.

I just don't see chopped liver everywhere I look. What if anything ever impresses you?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,097,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I believe there is a point at one bridge (maybe the one over Lemmon Ave.) where the bike and ped path merge into one briefly. Other than that, I totally agree. Also to add, people should clean up their dog ****! I can't believe people just leave it there.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,173,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
Sounds like an excellent way to bust in and stumble up a person's thread. But you don't bother me. And just what is the Katy Trail? Well, as the area was already a beautiful classic before it was created out of a converted rail line, I think it is incredible.

I just don't see chopped liver everywhere I look. What if anything ever impresses you?
You made a comment about how a person couldn't troll his own thread ... I point out that it is in fact quite common and is in fact the usual means of trolling.

Is the Katy Trail impressive ? Yes, it is. I don't recall saying it was not. You may be confusing me with another poster earlier in the thread.

However I will say that you could be a bit more clear with the points you are trying to make or the discussion you are trying to facilitate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas