Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:41 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times

Advertisements

If she is interested in medicine then this is a great opportunity if one can actually qualify. The Baylor2 Medical Track Program is a combined 8-year baccalaureate/MD program for high-achieving students. There is a $80k scholarship available.

https://www.baylor.edu/admissions/index.php?id=872132
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
UFP got it right but to be extra clear there is 1 - $80k combined scholarship and IIRC 5 or 6 other awards that amount to about $2k per year. For those the big draw is the near automatic admission to BCOM if grade floors are met. The competition for these awards is beyond fierce.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:07 PM

154 posts, read 191,982 times
Just wanted to provide another update. My daughter was accepted into her first choice of major in the College of Natural Sciences at UT Austin! Thanks to all for the excellent advice. She'll be working hard to keep her grades up in preparation of med school applications.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGentry View Post
Just wanted to provide another update. My daughter was accepted into her first choice of major in the College of Natural Sciences at UT Austin! Thanks to all for the excellent advice. She'll be working hard to keep her grades up in preparation of med school applications.
That is fabulous news!

Old 05-04-2019, 03:02 PM

Another update (OP here) and some encouragement to other parents whose child with big ambitions started off with less than ideal grades in high school...

My daughter is almost finished with her first year at UT Austin (College of Natural Science) with a 4.0 GPA.

She still wants to apply to medical school and is determined to work hard to keep up her grades.

I very much appreciate the words of encouragement here from those who felt she still had some possibility of achieving her goals, despite starting off with a weak ACT and less than desirable class rank.

On another note, I'm wondering how important research experience really is with regard to medical school applicants.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:19 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Quote:
Another update (OP here) and some encouragement to other parents whose child with big ambitions started off with less than ideal grades in high school...

My daughter is almost finished with her first year at UT Austin (College of Natural Science) with a 4.0 GPA.

She still wants to apply to medical school and is determined to work hard to keep up her grades.

I very much appreciate the words of encouragement here from those who felt she still had some possibility of achieving her goals, despite starting off with a weak ACT and less than desirable class rank.

On another note, I'm wondering how important research experience really is with regard to medical school applicants.
Congratulations to your daughter. I’m sure she has advisors who will point her in the right direction. Which high school did she attend?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:

This is wonderful news but not even a bit surprising to me.

As I think we conversed about upthread:
1). Many kids don't lengthen their academic stride until college.
2). Carrying a 4.0 in any of the life sciences at UT is impressive the beauty is with her excellent marks if she decides later that medicine isn't for her she'll have many excellent options.

My son is a PGY-2 MD resident now, he tells everyone who asks that research is important and is often a real difference maker on the resumes of those interested in med. school.

It's only an anecdote our daughter is going to Baylor Medical School this fall. Baylor so much as told her - her engineering/computer science undergrad research projects were big for her admittance.

Best of luck to her going forward and good on you for supporting her.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
This is wonderful news but not even a bit surprising to me.

As I think we conversed about upthread:
1). Many kids don't lengthen their academic stride until college.
2). Carrying a 4.0 in any of the life sciences at UT is impressive the beauty is with her excellent marks if she decides later that medicine isn't for her she'll have many excellent options.

My son is a PGY-2 MD resident now, he tells everyone who asks that research is important and is often a real difference maker on the resumes of those interested in med. school.

It's only an anecdote our daughter is going to Baylor Medical School this fall. Baylor so much as told her - her engineering/computer science undergrad research projects were big for her admittance.

Best of luck to her going forward and good on you for supporting her.
Thank you, EDS! One more question: Do you have any input as to the importance of her doing volunteer work in the healthcare field at this stage? She has an opportunity to do a medical mission trip in the Caribbean, but I don't know if this one week experience will make any notable difference in her medical school application/interviews. (She would be taking vital signs, helping to dispense meds and the like...) The medical mission trip is very costly, and while it won't necessarily be a big financial burden to us, it's enough to give us pause if the experience won't make much difference in her achieving her goal.

She could also volunteer locally if that would help.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you, EDS! One more question: Do you have any input as to the importance of her doing volunteer work in the healthcare field at this stage? She has an opportunity to do a medical mission trip in the Caribbean, but I don't know if this one week experience will make any notable difference in her medical school application/interviews. (She would be taking vital signs, helping to dispense meds and the like...) The medical mission trip is very costly, and while it won't necessarily be a big financial burden to us, it's enough to give us pause if the experience won't make much difference in her achieving her goal.

She could also volunteer locally if that would help.
One week at a high price tag seems questionable to me.

If she hasn't yet she should join AMSA at UT and find volunteer efforts through them going forward. A good number of volunteer efforts are more or less required. My son worked for Habitat for Humanity plus several opportunities closer to medicine.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:35 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:

Congratulations!! This is a great news. Your updates may help another parent in your shoes so keep posting both good news and struggles alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas