Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 873 times

Advertisements

We are sick of the cold winters that come with Midwest living and area ready for a fresh start in the lone star state.

Looking to relocate to the Dallas area from St Louis. Accustomed to very good public school district so good schools are a must. So far drawn to Frisco, Mckinney and Allen areas. Would be renting at first until we sell our house in STL. Would like to rent in the district we wind up purchasing within to avoid making our son switch schools. Not sure how feasible this will be. Husband works in management for car dealerships, has been in the business for 8 years. He currently drives a 45 minute commute and is willing to do so again but ideally would like to work closer to home. Would anyone recommend any of the 3 places I've already mentioned or are there some that I'm not considering that would be close to many dealerships and offer good schools?

We have 2 boys, 7 and 1. Our oldest is in 1st grade, he is active in cub scouts and enjoys soccer, baseball and football, so good sport programs are also important. I'd like to find some type of playdate/gym programs for my youngest son to allow him to socialize and myself to connect with other families. I am a huge fitness lover so access to a good gym is also important. I really enjoy group fitness classes and have made several friends through them before and am hopeful I could do so again in Texas. Also, I'm currently a student enrolled in cosmetology courses and would like to find another beauty school that I can transfer to. I know this is a long post asking for a lot of info but any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 03:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,627,090 times
McKinney has a row of dealerships along Hwy 75/Central Expressway. Subaru, Ford, not sure what else. McKinney is family-central with a cute downtown. You don't mention budget for buying or leasing, which may limit your choices.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:48 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,741,066 times
Is your husband in management with luxury cars or with regular cars?

Old 02-04-2017, 09:20 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,652,399 times
Make sure you visit first, ideally during the summer. I moved here from Kansas City almost a year ago and will be moving back to the Midwest in a few weeks.

I will admit that it's been nice not having to scrape my windshield every morning, but having a 75 degree day followed by a 40 degree day is very depressing. There is no winter in DFW; winter here feels more like fall. There are really only three seasons: summer and fall/spring and a few days of 30-50 degrees peppered in with fall/spring weather. And if you enjoy doing things outside in the summer, forget it. I see all the joggers out at 6am on my way to work because it's way too hot to do anything from 9am to midnight. I originally thought "Missouri has 100 degree days too, so Texas will be fine". Yeah, but is what I didn't realize is that Texas has 100 degree days for weeks at a time, and the 90+ temps stick around until midnight.

Also, there isn't much scenery here. It's just tacky strip centers, asphalt roads, cement, more cement, and maybe a park or two mixed in.

Make sure you are getting a pay raise if you do decide to move here. DFW is more expensive than St Louis and keeps getting more expensive every month. Don't let the "Texas is so cheap" rumor fool you. I got a 20% raise from Missouri, but it wasn't actually a raise because that's about how much more expensive it is to live here.

For some data points: I'm paying around the same price for rent as I did in KC, but I had to step down to a 1br. My car insurance doubled. I drive twice as much and spend twice as much on gas. Don't forget about tolls either.

But, the job market is much better here than in St Louis. You just have to weigh the pros and cons.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 PM

19,536 posts, read 17,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Make sure you visit first, ideally during the summer. I moved here from Kansas City almost a year ago and will be moving back to the Midwest in a few weeks.

I will admit that it's been nice not having to scrape my windshield every morning, but having a 75 degree day followed by a 40 degree day is very depressing. There is no winter in DFW; winter here feels more like fall. There are really only three seasons: summer and fall/spring and a few days of 30-50 degrees peppered in with fall/spring weather. And if you enjoy doing things outside in the summer, forget it. I see all the joggers out at 6am on my way to work because it's way too hot to do anything from 9am to midnight. I originally thought "Missouri has 100 degree days too, so Texas will be fine". Yeah, but is what I didn't realize is that Texas has 100 degree days for weeks at a time, and the 90+ temps stick around until midnight.

Also, there isn't much scenery here. It's just tacky strip centers, asphalt roads, cement, more cement, and maybe a park or two mixed in.

Make sure you are getting a pay raise if you do decide to move here. DFW is more expensive than St Louis and keeps getting more expensive every month. Don't let the "Texas is so cheap" rumor fool you. I got a 20% raise from Missouri, but it wasn't actually a raise because that's about how much more expensive it is to live here.

For some data points: I'm paying around the same price for rent as I did in KC, but I had to step down to a 1br. My car insurance doubled. I drive twice as much and spend twice as much on gas. Don't forget about tolls either.

But, the job market is much better here than in St Louis. You just have to weigh the pros and cons.
Glad you've made the call to leave. Your serial exaggerations and general dishonesty, maybe it's ignorance instead, are very tiresome.
The high temp in DFW was 100F or more 18 days last year. There was no stretch of weeks at a time over 100.
It's really tedious to look up daily temps. at specific times, but I've done it before. I'm going to guess the temp. was not over 90 at midnight even once last summer. At best it might have been one or two days. Not every night as you implied.
Your claim that people can't/don't do anything outside from 9AM-midnight is just a silly lie. We walk our dog virtually every evening all year and you know what I see multiple neighbors out every night.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:04 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,524,942 times
I'd figure out where he will be working first--the commute could be unbearable depending on where he ends up getting a job, but you can find a suitable place to live within a decent commute from just about any job location in DFW

Old 02-05-2017, 04:38 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,335,086 times
I agree summers are tough but to call them times when you cant get outside after 9am is misleading. I play golf all summer long, we miss when it rains but never miss when its hot. Is it comfortable, nope, but we can still play and enjoy it. Winter play is the prime time to me, we played yesterday teeing off around 8am never got above 50 was cloudy and windy but we made it just fine. Only 6 groups played yesterday by the time we departed around 1pm after the round and some time in the grill.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 AM

20 posts, read 20,055 times
Wow I hope the summers aren't that bad! 90 till midnight? I'm moving from California where we really do have great weather! But I enjoy swimming in a pool or a nice lake during the summer time so I'm hoping to continue enjoying those activities in Texas as well. Would you compare the weather to Miami or Caribbean in the summer or Az ? Thank you!

Old 02-05-2017, 09:25 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,091,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelealohabound View Post
Wow I hope the summers aren't that bad! 90 till midnight? I'm moving from California where we really do have great weather! But I enjoy swimming in a pool or a nice lake during the summer time so I'm hoping to continue enjoying those activities in Texas as well. Would you compare the weather to Miami or Caribbean in the summer or Az ? Thank you!

90 at midnight is an exaggeration, but it definitely does not cool off quickly in the evening compared to drier parts of the country (AZ, etc.).

Summer weather here is in between the wet tropical climate of Miami and the true desert climate of Phoenix. Warmer and drier than Miami, cooler and wetter than Phoenix.

One thing about DFW compared to those climates is there is higher variation during the summer. We can get periods with a gulf air mass where temps are moderate (upper 80's, low 90's) but with higher humidity or we can get drier winds from the SW that results in higher temps (100 F) but lower humidity.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:41 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,652,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Glad you've made the call to leave. Your serial exaggerations and general dishonesty, maybe it's ignorance instead, are very tiresome.
The high temp in DFW was 100F or more 18 days last year. There was no stretch of weeks at a time over 100.
It's really tedious to look up daily temps. at specific times, but I've done it before. I'm going to guess the temp. was not over 90 at midnight even once last summer. At best it might have been one or two days. Not every night as you implied.
Your claim that people can't/don't do anything outside from 9AM-midnight is just a silly lie. We walk our dog virtually every evening all year and you know what I see multiple neighbors out every night.
I guess it depends on where you are from. Are you originally from Texas? If so, the heat is just a normal part of summer for you. But for someone who is not used to the heat and who dislikes heat, it can be a real bummer, just like Midwest winter temps can be a bummer for a Texan. I laughed in August because Kansas City had a heat advisory because temperatures were over 90 degrees for a week. Here in Texas, it was 105 and just another normal day.

You might be able to do outdoor activities outside, but it certainly won't be an enjoyable experience. I changed my oil in September around 6pm and my t-shirt was completely drenched in sweat. Yeah, there are more people out at night, but how many people do you see out during the day riding bikes, jogging, etc?

I was definitely over exaggerating about the midnight temperatures in DFW. But if the high is 100F, the midnight temp will still be at least 85F. That midnight temperature is still higher than the whole day high in St Louis.

I'm not trying to be dishonest, I'm just giving someone from the Midwest an honest perspective on a fellow Midwesterner's opinion on the Metroplex. I can understand why people move here as the job market and housing market is good. But they need to be aware that there are shortcomings.

I was curious and found temperatures for Dallas in August 2016. I was told that we had a mild summer in 2016.

And here is St Louis. Pretty big difference as there are very few days even in the 90s.

As you can see, there is around a 10 degree difference almost every day. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I certainly feel the difference between 85 and 100 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas