Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 767 times

Advertisements

ok so my father passed away from suicide. I'm most likely going to this highschool and i have blue hair. I would love to know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Mental illness happens and humans don't get to pick our blood relatives. No one would hold his suicide against you. If anything, others would be sympathetic about your loss. Now blue hair is your own doing but it's cool and nobody would care as long as you are nice. However, if you want a fresh start, go to a drug store and buy a hair dye.

Good luck with everything. It's a big and diverse school, you'll find your tribe. Join some extracurricular activity, it's easier to bond with people that way. My advice would be to keep your focus on graduating and getting into a college. High school is a short period, good or bad, it ends quickly.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
Each campus can set additional restrictions so it's best to contact the specific school directly to verify but I believe most of Richardson high schools removed the unnatural hair color restriction within the last couple years.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:42 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I am sorry about the loss of your father. The other posters have given good advice. There probably aren't a lot of kids with blue hair at Richardson HS, but it is a really diverse high school and as long as it's allowed by the school dress code (might want to check before your first day) and it makes you feel confident in yourself, go for it!

Old 02-08-2017, 03:29 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
If you are concerned about coping with your father's suicide you are definitely welcome to meet with your school counselor. That's what they're for.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:52 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Out of curiosity, I googled it and apparently unnatural hair color is against the code.

Dress Code
Conduct is directly related to the dress of the student in school. Cleanliness, neatness, appropriateness, and the effect on the learning environment are the criteria that should dictate the student’s choice of school dress and grooming on any given day.
Students are expected to observe modesty, appropriateness, and neatness in clothing and personal appearance. The principal, principal’s designee, and the person in charge of an extracurricular activity may determine the dress and grooming of students participating in the activity. Individual campuses adopt dress codes as long as they remain within the parameters of the district’s policy.
Procedure for dress code violations:

Teachers and principals may use a Dress Code Violation form when sending students to the office. Students may be asked to surrender ID when sent.
Office and student will call a parent/guardian regarding a choice of ISS for the day or returning home to change clothes (students sent home to change will be counted as an unexcused absence).
Students with 3 or more dress code violations will receive In-School Suspension.

The following is unacceptable student attire at RHS:

Bare midriff clothing
Straps on ladies’ tops less than ID badge width
Low cut blouses/tops
Shorts, dresses and skirts must be mid-thigh
Leggings not covered by an appropriate length top that meets the mid-thigh standard of dresses, skirts and shorts
Baggy/sagging pants, overalls and shorts
Head coverings (except for religious purposes)
Sleeveless shirts – boys
Un-tucked shirts longer than fingertip length
Exposed underwear
Attire that is excessively worn, ragged, or holey that exposes skin (even when bought that way on purpose)
Pajamas/house-slippers/bare feet
Clothing, accessory or body art that shows or advertises nudity, alcohol, drugs, weapons, vulgar/suggestive language, gang related activities (including innuendo of these or otherwise implying them)
Heavy chains or collars worn around neck & wrist, long chains connecting a wallet to pants
Towels, bandanas or shirts worn around the neck, over the shoulder or outside of a pocket
Exposed body piercing other than on the ears that are not studs
Unnatural hair colors (e.g. but not limited to blue, green, pink, bright red)

While it is inevitable that there will be differences of opinion as to the appropriateness of dress, the final determination will be the responsibility of the Principal.

Browser Not Supported

http://www.risd.org/Group/Parents/St...NG_FINAL-2.pdf

Sorry, kiddo! I thought this is 2017 so hair color wouldn't be an issue but it is. Unless you can prove it that you belong to the Blue Hair Order of Scientology, you have to dye it or wear a head cover. On a good note, getting a new hair cut and color for first day of highschool is not necessarily a bad idea. You can always gather few bleach blonde teachers and ask them to pledge your case. :-)

Old 02-13-2017, 08:12 AM

380 posts, read 368,358 times
Update: I reached out to a buddy who works at RHS, and she told me that they don't have restrictions on hair color. They have kids with blue, green, purple, etc. hair color. So you're good.

And you should definitely reach out to your counselor. They're great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: