Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:10 AM

16 posts, read 15,572 times

Advertisements

Contemplating relo offer from Chicago to employment in Irving (International Pkwy and 114 north of the airport). My husband currently commutes a long 60 minutes one way and we would like to get that down if possible.

Housing would be in the 525-550 range (could but would prefer to not go higher). Looking at Flower Mound but also like Highland Village. Can we consider any Plano areas? Husband said Grapevine might be TOO commercial for us althoug being close to shopping is BIG for us. Costco, Starbucks, Target....etc...

One kid leaving for college and our daughter would be in 8th grade. Schools are important but we are NOT super competitive and sports driven now that our son is finishing high school. Daughter loves tennis, however.

We are visiting next week to tour the area (husband has been multiple times but never myself other than the airport)
What areas should we put on our list to see?

Thanks in advance! Searching this forum has been very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Plano is going to be an hour. Even if you were looking for "THEBEST" schools, you'd drive by Flower Mound and Coppell - also top 5 area high schools- on your way to Plano. If the job is in Irving, you need to be looking in Coppell, Grapevine, Colleyville, and Flower Mound. If you want great academics but less of a pressure cooker environment, I'd definitely take a hard look at Colleyville and Grapevine. They share one ISD with several high schools. If all your hubby saw of Grapevine was the part by his office near the outlet mall, I can see why he assumed it was too commercial. Grapevine has a charming historic downtown and a lot of quiet residential neighborhoods, too!

Old 02-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Thank you! Yes, that is exactly what happened in Grapevine I believe.
Is Highland Village too far north?

Old 02-08-2017, 04:18 PM

242 posts, read 433,034 times
We moved from Minneapolis to Flower Mound in early Fall of 2015 and bought a house near the south end(ish) in Flower Mound last Spring. I would be more than happy to help you with the information I've gained through my experience thus far. I also work in Irving and it typically takes me 45 minutes to get to work; however, when there is an accident it's an easy 60 - 90 minutes (my record is 87 minutes on a Friday morning).

Flower Mound and Highland Village are absolutely wonderful communities which offer us a smaller, Midwest feeling while maintaining all (and then some!) of the amenities we want (i.e., movie theaters, shopping, restaurants, etc.). Feel free to send me a private message and I can help you further.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewsie View Post
Thank you! Yes, that is exactly what happened in Grapevine I believe.
Is Highland Village too far north?
I-35 from Denton into Dallas is probably the absolute worst commute in Dallas. 35 is always under construction and is a major 18-wheeler route which tends to get worse accidents,

I think it's too far north but have your hubby do a few test drives during conmuting hours to see what he thinks. Just remember that hundreds of thousands of people are moving to DFW every year and the shortest ckmmmute he'll ever have will be his first day of work. My afternoon commute (different highway) is "reverse" (away from downtown but still going to a major employment center) has gotten about 5 minutes longer every year.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:02 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Your best bet is still Coppell or Flower Mound. A little farther out would be HV or Lantana. These areas usually funnel down FM2499 into Las Colinas. Lot of Las Colinas - Irving workers live up north. It can be a 45 minute or more commute to the HV area.

Castle Hills would not be bad and much closer than Plano.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:32 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
Plano is going to be an hour. Even if you were looking for "THEBEST" schools, you'd drive by Flower Mound and Coppell - also top 5 area high schools- on your way to Plano. If the job is in Irving, you need to be looking in Coppell, Grapevine, Colleyville, and Flower Mound. If you want great academics but less of a pressure cooker environment, I'd definitely take a hard look at Colleyville and Grapevine. They share one ISD with several high schools. If all your hubby saw of Grapevine was the part by his office near the outlet mall, I can see why he assumed it was too commercial. Grapevine has a charming historic downtown and a lot of quiet residential neighborhoods, too!
Plano isn't worth it given your other options.

I live relatively close to where the job will be and go to my mom's house in the Highland Village/Lantana area. Outside of rush hour, it isn't bad at all. During rush hour it is a nightmare. I'm not sure it would be worth the commute.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,235 times
Highland Village will add 15-25 minutes to a commute from Flower Mound, which will already be 30+ minutes, depending on when you leave. The best way to get to Iriving is down 2499 to 114/635.

There not a huge difference between Flower Mound and Highalnd Village, really. Both are really nice and pleasant places to live.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:28 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Ask anything about Grapevine. My husband and I have lived there since 2002, and we love it.
Irving is an easy commute. Flower Mound has a lot more traffic. Highland Village is too far north.
Look in Colleyville, too.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
We moved from Minneapolis to Flower Mound in early Fall of 2015 and bought a house near the south end(ish) in Flower Mound last Spring. I would be more than happy to help you with the information I've gained through my experience thus far. I also work in Irving and it typically takes me 45 minutes to get to work; however, when there is an accident it's an easy 60 - 90 minutes (my record is 87 minutes on a Friday morning).

Flower Mound and Highland Village are absolutely wonderful communities which offer us a smaller, Midwest feeling while maintaining all (and then some!) of the amenities we want (i.e., movie theaters, shopping, restaurants, etc.). Feel free to send me a private message and I can help you further.
Thank you so much!!! I will do that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: