U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 AM

3,094 posts, read 2,053,429 times

Advertisements

If you want DART option then keep in mind that according to google, house mentioned in my earlier post is 2 minutes from bus stop, , 6 minutes from North Plano Park & Ride Station and 12 minutes from Trinity Mill station.

Disclaimer: 1. Just so you know, I'm not a realtor and have no interest in selling that house. I'm only using it as a reference point. Lol, don't want to see a PM request, asking for a showing. It has happened to me before. 2. I do not recommend using DART, at least not for going to work. If you are a true Texan, you'll feel stranded without your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 PM

20 posts, read 14,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Canyon Creek or The Reservation in Richardson. You won't need private schools unless you have a strong desire to send your children to a religious school.

You'll be close enough to the DART line to use it to get downtown if you want to. You'll also be right down the road from Plano.
Thanks for your feedback. We are taking Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek into consideration, but have not seen anything that has caught our attention.

In regards to desirability and long-term upside, do you feel that the Prestonwood/Northwood Hills area would be a wise choice given the Dallas "Midtown" development?

I feel that once construction is completed, it'll be a huge win for the area.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:09 PM

23,992 posts, read 32,827,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBartov View Post
Thanks for your feedback. We are taking Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek into consideration, but have not seen anything that has caught our attention.

In regards to desirability and long-term upside, do you feel that the Prestonwood/Northwood Hills area would be a wise choice given the Dallas "Midtown" development?

I feel that once construction is completed, it'll be a huge win for the area.
I personally wouldn't base a purchasing decision on a future development that may or may not ever happen.

However, the Prestonwood area is a pretty safe bet. Just remember that depending on where in FND you end up, your kids could be zoned to one of at least three school districts (DISD, PISD, or RISD). Choose carefully.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:02 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,712,528 times
With the DART expansion slated for 2022, several areas within Far North Dallas will be affected so make sure to stay away from the station locations on the north end of canyon creek and near preston rd. Property values tend to drop along mass transit lines more than heavy rail and the construction phase may be bothersome.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:15 PM

58 posts, read 52,406 times
I would say Dallas itself. For ROI, I would first suggest the Moss Farm neighborhood feeding into Moss Haven Elem in Lake Highlands, as it hasn't really gone crazy yet. There are never many for sale though. Then, I would recommend the White Rock area in Lake Highlands; however, the period to have made a bunch of money on your house over there has really already passed. It definitely won't be going down though so it's a safe buy. Same situation with say Lakewood & Stonewall Jackson area. Safe buy for sure. Lots of topography and things to do.

I favor LH over Lakewood area solely because I think the middle and high school are a step ahead, and the community aspect is definitely stronger in Lake Highlands.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
No. It's not. I just rechecked with Plano ISD's school finder. It feeds to Barksdale, Renner, Shepton, Plano West.

You aren't completely wrong as some of the homes there do feed to LISD. That's why even realtors who aren't familiar with Far West Plano, mistakenly assume it's all LISD.
I was referring to the link that you posted that said that that feeds to Hebron High School.

On the top of the link, it's says Plano West. And then as you go farther down, it says Hebron High. It would really be important for the buyers to figure out which one because almost everyone I know who lives in that area is zoned to Lewisville ISD.

In fact, the reason we did not buy in that exact subdivision is the fact that pretty much every house was zoned to Lewisville ISD.

I'm sure there are some exceptions as you move further east, but it would be really important for them not to just take the internet for granted and call someone and find out for sure.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,195 times
Maybe you should consider Sunnyvale. The commute to downtown during rush hour is 25-30 minutes in the morning and at night. In fact, my commute from Sunnyvale to downtown is shorter time-wise than when I was commuting from Lake Highlands to downtown.

Sunnyvale also has its own ISD with the elementary, middle school, and high school located in the same area and is a 3A school. Most people move to Sunnyvale because of the schools and the small town feel. I like to say that it is rural community in the middle of the city. There are plenty of rolling hills and ranch style homes in this area that you stated you are looking for.

In terms of community, it seems that everyone knows everyone (which can be good and bad), but your kids likely grow-up with the same kids from the start of school until graduation. The town has fireworks and community events around the summer holidays, which is nice.

We moved to Sunnyvale because I wanted my kids to have the same kind of experience growing up that I did - where kids could go outside to play without scheduled playdates and constant adult supervision or without taking them somewhere to play. We could not do that in Lake Highlands because it was too busy and the crime problem near our old house. Now, I have a house on 1-acre of land (the price that we paid for the house is in your price range) and my kids go outside to play after school and all weekend long with other neighborhood kids.

The biggest con to Sunnyvale is shopping and activities. The closest shops and restaurants are in Mesquite and -well- it's Mesquite. Also, we drive to Dallas for the kids' soccer and basketball games. BUT our sports teams are formed by the Sunnyvale youth sport association and are comprised of Sunnyvale kids. The teams then play in leagues in Dallas. This set-up fosters a further sense of community.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:00 PM

20 posts, read 14,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasbred View Post
I would say Dallas itself. For ROI, I would first suggest the Moss Farm neighborhood feeding into Moss Haven Elem in Lake Highlands, as it hasn't really gone crazy yet. There are never many for sale though. Then, I would recommend the White Rock area in Lake Highlands; however, the period to have made a bunch of money on your house over there has really already passed. It definitely won't be going down though so it's a safe buy. Same situation with say Lakewood & Stonewall Jackson area. Safe buy for sure. Lots of topography and things to do.

I favor LH over Lakewood area solely because I think the middle and high school are a step ahead, and the community aspect is definitely stronger in Lake Highlands.
Moss Farm was on our radar up until a few months ago. Does Forest Meadow still hold the old stigma as "Forest Ghetto"? Is there a large step down when comparing it to Lake Highlands Junior High?

Old 02-14-2017, 04:09 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,053,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was referring to the link that you posted that said that that feeds to Hebron High School.

On the top of the link, it's says Plano West. And then as you go farther down, it says Hebron High. It would really be important for the buyers to figure out which one because almost everyone I know who lives in that area is zoned to Lewisville ISD.

In fact, the reason we did not buy in that exact subdivision is the fact that pretty much every house was zoned to Lewisville ISD.

I'm sure there are some exceptions as you move further east, but it would be really important for them not to just take the internet for granted and call someone and find out for sure.
We attend Prestonwood Church and many families who come from that part, had kids who went to Rennner, Shepton, PWSH, with my boys so I know for sure that a good number of homes are Plano ISD. I would say never trust realtors, just enter any address on this website to confirm feeder pattern. This is what Plano ISD administration use to determine if you are eligible for admission or not.

Plano ISD School Finder

http://pisd.edu/schools/maps/documen...e_Zone_Map.pdf

Last edited by UnfairPark; 02-14-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 07:02 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
That's a very handy site.
I have a friend I will send it to.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or