Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:17 PM

11 posts, read 8,729 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

A little background information about me so that you can provide better advice...
I am originally from Minnesota. Graduated with an engineering degree. Moved to Southern Louisiana. Looking for a change. I'm in my mid-twenties & single. Blonde & blue-eyed. Pretty social but not an all night party kind of person. Another small note about me, I would NEVER want to move to a San Francisco or Los Angeles kind of place. I believe that would be way too stressful, congested, smelly, & expensive. Also strewn with homeless people. Just sad & makes me nervous. I like to go home to a place that feels safe.

What I liked about Minnesota:
1. Lakes
2. Healthy
3. Outdoor activities
4. Hiking
5. Breweries
6. GREAT urban food (ex. a bed of kale mixed with wild rice & topped with glazed salmon = regular restaurant kind of dish)
7. Happy people

What I DIDN'T like about Minnesota:
1. Winters were bloody horrendous
2. Winters were roughly 8 months long
3. You couldn't be outside enjoying life in the death of winter
4. No sunshine for months in the winter = depressing

What I like about Southern Louisiana:
1. No winters
2. Drive thru daquiris
3. Low rent cost ($800/mon for a 2 bed 2 bath in the middle of town)

What I don't like about Southern Louisiana:
1. HUMIDITY IS AWFUL. I can't anymore.
2. Snakes
3. Fattening food
4. Nothing but fattening food
5. Small town - boring
6. People grow up here, go to high school here, & stay here - no one else allowed in our group kind of mentality
7. Not many college grad young professionals
8. Smoking allowed in bars
9. Too redneck for my taste
10. No one seems to care about hygiene
11. Crime

Alright guys... That takes care of my likes & dislikes. Tell me all about Dallas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 PM

385 posts, read 488,733 times
I don't mean to be rude, but what does having blonde hair and blue eyes have to do with anything?

Just move to Uptown. Be prepared to pay $1300 minimum for a decent place.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Much lower humidity but relentless high temps in summer. More expensive than southern Louisiana.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
What do you do for a living? Can you get a job easily in DFW?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:26 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.engineer View Post

What I liked about Minnesota:
1. Lakes
2. Healthy
3. Outdoor activities
4. Hiking
5. Breweries
6. GREAT urban food (ex. a bed of kale mixed with wild rice & topped with glazed salmon = regular restaurant kind of dish)
7. Happy people
Dallas comparisons:
1. We do have lakes, although they're technically large reservoirs. Minnesota's are definitely more natural and scenic for that with a lot more tree cover around them-- However, the warmer climate here means you can go out on the lakes more often than in MN. Unless you love ice fishing...

2. Healthy - Yes, there is a critical mass of health conscious people here in Dallas. It's actually a pretty image conscious city in general, more so than MN. So people do tend to focus more on appearance. That includes exercise. However, you may have people pointing out our "fat statistics" as if they're Gospel, which includes poorer parts of our city that skews the stats. Visit Uptown or any happening in-town neighborhood of Dallas and tell me how many overweight people you actually see. With that said, you won't find a shortage of gyms or health food stores.

3. & 4. Hiking. Outdoor Activities - not as abundant as MN. The terrain is mostly flat, rolling terrain. There are trails and lakes as mentioned above. The hiking obviously won't be as great as in MN. However, the milder climate (sans summer) does allow more time outdoors.

5. Breweries - check. Not quite Wisconsin or CO, but plenty here.

6. Great urban food - YES!!! Check out Lower Greenville.

7. Happy people -- The one's I've encountered in real life are pretty happy. On the Dallas CD Forum, not so much lol.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Dallas can get humid, too. It, like all cities, has its share of pan handlers. It does have great employment opportunities and a very large amount of educated young professionals.

There's a serious lack of outdoor recreation in Dallas; that's why we live in Las Vegas half the time. Its so dry in the LV Valley that 72 degrees is chilly and means wearing a sweater. Even in the summer, its a 45 min drive to 70 degree weather, 5 hour drive to San Diego and 4 hour drive to Flagstaff or Prescott.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
What do hiking in DFW and BBQ in Denver have in common?

Spoiler
There are a couple of 'meh' places, and everything else sucks.

If you're an avid camper or hiker, DFW is very underwhelming.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:28 PM

210 posts, read 303,237 times
You are asking if Dallas is a fit for you. But are you a fit for Dallas career-wise?

Dallas is a hotbed of opportunity for STEM but more so for certain disciplines as opposed to others.

Do you have a job offer in Dallas? If not, what is your current job? And your degree and alma mater?

I ask because you are a twenty something with limited work experience and these could be factors in landing a job here in your situation. Maybe other cities would be a better fit (i.e. Houston, Austin).

How did you end up in La. from Minnesota in the first place? Just curious.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:30 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Maybe OP could meet up with that guy from Toronto. We could set up a CD blind date.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:58 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
I think DFW would be okay for you, but you sound like someone who might enjoy Nashville or Denver more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas