Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 PM

111 posts, read 236,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post

When you think about it, the idea that Denver has as much entertainment as DFW is absurd. Is there any reason to believe that the average Denverite spends twice as much for arts as the Dallas average? There is no reason in principle to think so. But that's what it would take for Denver to be on a parity level with Dallas.
Reason might dictate that Dallas' arts scene is twice as nice as Denver's (based on population), but that reasoning would be flawed.

For the 4th largest metro area in the U.S. I think DFW is somewhat lacking in its offerings (and not that there aren't many fine venues and performances here). But to say Denver couldn't compare to Dallas is giving Dallas way too much credit.

Another angle: Take Ft Worth - it has three top flight museums - more than one would reasonably expect from a city of 500,000-600,000. To dismiss Denver's art scene based on population and average spending would be using the same logic to deny that a city the size of Ft Worth could possibly have 3 high profile museums (not to mention Bass Hall).

Take a trip there someday and see what you think.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 PM

164 posts, read 789,821 times
All I have to say is "its the mountains baby!" Nothing in Texas can come even close to comparing.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,270,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
All I have to say is "its the mountains baby!" Nothing in Texas can come even close to comparing.
Well, that's comparing apples to oranges. It just depends on your preference.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 16,942 times
denver has nothing on dallas its just overall bigger and better and I didn't know this many people cared about bike trails

Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM

362 posts, read 1,713,600 times
Dallas is flat. The terrain is prairie filled with skyscrapers.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM

175 posts, read 403,180 times
just came back from denver, and why denver is better...

1 - Tap water rocks. The water tastes soooo good, I kept on drinking the damn thing. This is tap water. Compared to the dusty taste of DFW water, the Denver water is like years ahead.

2 - Climate. Yes we are burning up now, at 100+ days. The AC working non stop. Forget about outdoors, unless you want to be excessively tanned, and sweating your butt off, and getting stinky Denver is different of course. You live for the outdoors.

3 - Nature: So much to do in Denver. As far as nature goes, except the sea/ocean they got it all. You want to go up the mountains, tons of peaks around, you want to go to lakes, tons of small lakes around, you want to canoe, the rivers are waiting for ya, want to mountain bike, yes the mountains are waiting, hike, anything to do with nature you got it all.
Now in Dallas, nature consists of well.... Nothing. Plain fields, corn, yes corn grows naturally in most areas of Dallas. That can be nature right? And fake lakes. Well yes lakes, but to enjoy you need a boat, and for sure you will not enjoy a boat ride at 100+ degrees. And why the hell do I need to spend loads of money to go around a lake????

4 - City life; Denver literally is beyond Dallas. If you are single, young, or young and married, does not matter, Denver is great choice. Downtown area actually has a life. Unlike Dallas Downtown where all is about business. And people actually walk in Denver. They really do walk. In DFW, even in uptown, oak lawn area, you rarely see people walking (unless they are jogging etc). But in Denver people walk to everywhere. There is an actual city life, unlike the suburbicity life of DFW.

5 - Food; The different kinds of food with different restaurants that are affordable is beyond DFW in Denver. After trying all the sushi restaurants in DFW and finding the same damn menu in all, the same rolls etc, Denver was heaven sent. Wow, just got into a random place, humble, not show off, a modest establishment, and they had rolls I have not even heard of, that tasted awesome.

6 - People; Well Dallas is the home of 30K millionaires, and Dallas is the second LA in terms of mentality. Denver is quite the opposite. People are much humbler, modest, friendlier, yes they are friendlier, unlike the fake smile of the DFW people, the Denver people actually can become your friends And no they are not religious freaks, that pass their life in the church every day, maybe much more stuff to do?

7 - Public Transport; Another area that Denver has Dallas beat. The only downside is fares are more expensive. But tons of people ride the transport, the busses and the rail. Even at 11 at night, you can see bunch of people (safe) riding the rail out of downtown Denver to Aurora etc.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times
Now what is this about all the lakes in Denver?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,420,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbetcoo View Post
Reason might dictate that Dallas' arts scene is twice as nice as Denver's (based on population), but that reasoning would be flawed.

For the 4th largest metro area in the U.S. I think DFW is somewhat lacking in its offerings .
We have a lot of great fine arts, but it isn't high profile. The public interest isn't there. I was recently at a wonderful show in Deep Ellum ,at the Hub Theatre, and there were 18 people in the audience. I personally have been nominated for a Rabin award for a show that pulled 25 people on a good night. When I recently directed a fund raiser show the Theatre owner was ecstatic the night we pulled 50 people- not a high number in many big cities, but a lot for any Dallas Theatre except DTC. You just have to look for it a bit more here, unfortunately.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:43 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,270,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
just came back from denver, and why denver is better...

1 - Tap water rocks. The water tastes soooo good, I kept on drinking the damn thing. This is tap water. Compared to the dusty taste of DFW water, the Denver water is like years ahead.

2 - Climate. Yes we are burning up now, at 100+ days. The AC working non stop. Forget about outdoors, unless you want to be excessively tanned, and sweating your butt off, and getting stinky Denver is different of course. You live for the outdoors.

3 - Nature: So much to do in Denver. As far as nature goes, except the sea/ocean they got it all. You want to go up the mountains, tons of peaks around, you want to go to lakes, tons of small lakes around, you want to canoe, the rivers are waiting for ya, want to mountain bike, yes the mountains are waiting, hike, anything to do with nature you got it all.
Now in Dallas, nature consists of well.... Nothing. Plain fields, corn, yes corn grows naturally in most areas of Dallas. That can be nature right? And fake lakes. Well yes lakes, but to enjoy you need a boat, and for sure you will not enjoy a boat ride at 100+ degrees. And why the hell do I need to spend loads of money to go around a lake????

4 - City life; Denver literally is beyond Dallas. If you are single, young, or young and married, does not matter, Denver is great choice. Downtown area actually has a life. Unlike Dallas Downtown where all is about business. And people actually walk in Denver. They really do walk. In DFW, even in uptown, oak lawn area, you rarely see people walking (unless they are jogging etc). But in Denver people walk to everywhere. There is an actual city life, unlike the suburbicity life of DFW.

5 - Food; The different kinds of food with different restaurants that are affordable is beyond DFW in Denver. After trying all the sushi restaurants in DFW and finding the same damn menu in all, the same rolls etc, Denver was heaven sent. Wow, just got into a random place, humble, not show off, a modest establishment, and they had rolls I have not even heard of, that tasted awesome.

6 - People; Well Dallas is the home of 30K millionaires, and Dallas is the second LA in terms of mentality. Denver is quite the opposite. People are much humbler, modest, friendlier, yes they are friendlier, unlike the fake smile of the DFW people, the Denver people actually can become your friends And no they are not religious freaks, that pass their life in the church every day, maybe much more stuff to do?

7 - Public Transport; Another area that Denver has Dallas beat. The only downside is fares are more expensive. But tons of people ride the transport, the busses and the rail. Even at 11 at night, you can see bunch of people (safe) riding the rail out of downtown Denver to Aurora etc.
This is all YOUR opinion. I think there are pros and cons to both cities. And Texas has mountains, rivers, beaches, lakes (so what if they are manmade, they are still lakes). You're number 5 about food and restaurants is wrong. DFW is known for it's wide variety and shear numbers of restaurants. And no, people are NOT friendlier in Denver. Yes, they are friendly but I wouldn't say friendlier.

Sheesh, you could have made this an interesting post outlining your positive experiences in Denver without putting down Dallas the way you did. As it is, you're just making me NOT like Denver even more and making me stick up for Dallas all the MORE.

You should not have left Denver.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
We have a lot of great fine arts, but it isn't high profile. The public interest isn't there. I was recently at a wonderful show in Deep Ellum ,at the Hub Theatre, and there were 18 people in the audience. I personally have been nominated for a Rabin award for a show that pulled 25 people on a good night. When I recently directed a fund raiser show the Theatre owner was ecstatic the night we pulled 50 people- not a high number in many big cities, but a lot for any Dallas Theatre except DTC. You just have to look for it a bit more here, unfortunately.

Why do you think that is? Does that say something about the people of Dallas? I'm curious mainly because it seems like Houston and Ft. Worth's art scenes are held in a higher regard than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas