Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassbox View Post
Too bad it is located ....
OK, we know by now that you're unhappy and whiny and throwing a tantrum.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Oh I wasn't trying to be specific about either The Dallas Symphony or Glass (who I saw doing La Belle et la Bette here in Dallas) just making the general point that what an art group does is as important as how well they do it, or how many exist in an area. I like the symphony here in Dallas and only wish I could afford to go regularly.
The seats in the Choral Terrace are only $6. The view of the conductor and the orchestra is the best in the house, and you hear the music like the orchestra does.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM

70 posts, read 162,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
How weird. I remember my first trip to the USA in 1993, a road trip from LA to San Diego to Las Vegas to San Francisco and down PCH to LA. In September.

At the end of my vacation, back in Austria on the train ride from Vienna to my home city, I was so happy to see all the lush vegetation in Austria (comes at a price of Seattle-like rain) compared to California, which to me looked totally dried up.

Dallas is very green most of the year. Certainly more so than most of CA and I suspect Colorado (I've been to Denver once and it was very dried up - isn't it semi-arid there? - I thought Colorado advertises with 360 days of sunshine?).
SF is makes Dallas look like the Oklahoma dust bowl in every way possible. Denver is dry too, but it is still a better place to be any day of the year compared to Dallas.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
SF is makes Dallas look like the Oklahoma dust bowl in every way possible. Denver is dry too, but it is still a better place to be any day of the year compared to Dallas.
Are you sure you live in Dallas ?! I don't even have a sprinkler on my property but right now it looks like the Amazon... Granted, I don't live on a lot in the far north prairie turned suburbs.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The seats in the Choral Terrace are only $6. The view of the conductor and the orchestra is the best in the house, and you hear the music like the orchestra does.
Ah but there is the babysitter expense That's what limits my wife and I.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Quote:
There is no 'first class' architecture in Dallas. They just slap lights on some of the buildings so that the rednecks have something shiny, shimmering and completely void of aesthetics to gawk at.
Do you mean commercially ?

If you are including residential as well, you are sadly mistaken.

North Texas has forgotten more about first class residential construction than most of the west even knows.

I love the west, but the quality of what Dallasites call "tract home construction' would fall into exotic upper-income living in CA/CO. It's a supply and demand driven characteristic I'm sure. because there is alot of supply, it forces the builders to be very creative when it comes to features, safety, environmental efficiency and design aesthetics. The average joe can buy an extremely well built home in No TX.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 PM

70 posts, read 162,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
OK, we know by now that you're unhappy and whiny and throwing a tantrum.
Well, it's not like I have 4 or 5 back to back posts listing reasons to try to convince people that Dallas is superior to Denver, like you made earlier today. I mean if Dallas was really superior to Denver, no one in Dallas would be giving this thread any time at all. Even with all the quantity (not quality) of things that Dallas has to offer, we all see how threatened people in Dallas are with places like Denver.

I bet you wouldn't find too many people in Chicago that would be this threatened by a city like Denver (or Dallas, for that matter).

Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I guess box hasn't heard of the Pritzker Prize.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Dallas not green?? Must have painted the trees then
75238 - Google Maps

Old 06-26-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Not as I remember. The streets were bleak and treeless, not a speck of vegetation except for a few signature streets. From the edge of the buildings to the gutter was an expanse of concrete. With a raw telephone pole stuck in it somewhere. I'll never forget the sheer ugliness of those gritty, barren streets and those overhead wires.

The current issue of the newsletter for SF planning agency, SPUR, has most of the issue devoted to the ugliness of the SF street grid, and how the city might, if it had the money, try to raise the aesthetic bar.

The hills are yellow with drought in the summer, with a few trees in the cracks and crevices between two hills. Occasionally there would be a catchment area that would support some forest, but the DFW area has much more land area in forest than the Bay Area.

Besides, nobody's talking about moving to SF here. Probably a lot of people might want to move away, if they can find some place they can fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas