Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Im not quite sure why people beat up on Dallas.

Im not black, but had many black friends who live in the Dallas area and love it.

Ironically, after Atlanta, the Dallas area has the fastest growing black population in the US. How bad could it be if black people are flocking there in droves?

I have heard that DC, Atlanta, and Houston have a more entertaining social scene for blacks. Ill take their word for it. Perhaps Dallas is just more popular for black families.

Nonetheless, I keep seeing all this stuff about Dallas thats just pure BS. When I lived there, I had an eclectic and diverse set of friends and we did everything under the sun up there. It had a pretty solid food scene, great clubs, and some great neighborhoods. I also miss DFW airport like hell which is superior to Bush Airport here in Houston on pretty much every level except foreign carriers.

I enjoyed my time there. I wouldnt hesitate to move there if I were any race or ethnicity.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,456 times
When I lived in Houston, I visited Dallas for about 4 hours total. Not being a Cowboy fan, I'm surprised to say I liked it. That's not enough time to answer your question, but I think Life's too short not to take a chance. Meeting people isn't easy and it's going to take effort. You obviously were looking for something new for a reason. You got it, now go for it. If you're religious go to church. Join a bowling league or take up tennis. Also be open minded. You're going to see a multi-cultural mix. African American, White, Hispanic, Asian and pretty much everything else. Follow the golden rule and you should be fine.

I will caution you that you're in for a culture shock. The traffic will be a nightmare and in the beginning overwhelm you. That's Texas in general. Things are a lot more expensive there. Just go to www.apartments.com and check out the cost of renting. Also, you probably won't be able to rent an apartment without proof of employment. Where I live now, you just need the deposit and 1st month's rent. Texas is different. You also have to pay your own utilities including water and trash. The water cost will fluctuate based on total usage for the complex. Expect complexes to be 600 or more units. They tend to be huge.

Also, and they don't tell you this. The rental fee's fluctuate based on market rate. Meaning you call and get a quote on Monday at 8:00 in the morning. You call back at 4:00 in the afternoon and the price may be lower or higher. I wasn't used to that, but that's Texas. It's blisteringly hot in the summer but the winters are great if you don't like snow and ice. Make sure you leave your present job on good terms. If you don't like it, make sure you can go back.

Oh, one last thing. You will need your current DL, a utility bill, birth certificate and possibly your SS card to get a Texas DL. Ask me how I know. Have fun.

Last edited by Uatu; 04-26-2017 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times
You won't like it trust me! There is no Black culture in Dallas and as it's been stated unless you plan to make friends with other races primarily Whites, you will not fit in or enjoy living in Dallas.

All the Blacks I know have White friends and even still they are discriminated against when they go out to bars, restaurants, etc. There are bars that will refuse to let you in just because you are Black but of course they will lie and say they're at capacity or you have on the wrong shoes, meanwhile you'll see a White guy walk right past you wearing flip flops.

D.C. & Atlanta are much better options for Black professionals especially Black males. Also the majority of the posters in this forum are not Black so they don't know what it's like or have ever experienced how it is to be a Black person in Dallas. I have friends of all races in Dallas and I witness first hand what they go through also what I've experienced being bi-racial.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 PM

5 posts, read 18,274 times
Default Don"t move here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I have accepted a job in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. DC is probably my preference city for relocating, but the cost of living has always made me wary of relocating there. Other than that, I have also considered Houston, Atlanta and Orlando as my primary cities I considered relocating to. Since I've accepted the position I've read/heard a lot of very negative things about Dallas as far as the social environment for for black professionals particularly single ones, that have me having second thoughts. I'm interested in the opinions of any other black professionals on this forum that have relocated from other cities whether larger or smaller cities.

The city I live in now is a small family oriented city with little to offer a single professional but I'm compensated for that by spending a large number of weekends traveling to Atlanta, Nashville and other nearby cities. Surely there's more to offer than the city I'm currently in, but I'm just trying to make sure I'm moving to a city that will actually provide a far better social and entertainment scene for me and doesn't require me to travel every other weekend to enjoy life. Is it really as bad there as I'm seeing described online? I know it's not going to be quite up to par with Atlanta and DC or any of the more densely concentrated cities with large populations in the Midwest or Northeast but surely Dallas still has a lot to offer for black professionals right? Any honest opinions or personal experiences will be appreciated.

I am a 39 year old professional African-American female that moved to Dallas from Atlanta over 7 years ago. I have been trying and dying ever since to leave. Dallas is one of the most horrific places I have ever lived. There is absolutely no black culture here whatsoever. How can I say this nicely, the black people in Dallas SUCK. They are ashamed to be black and work so hard to assimilate with Caucasians that they make fun of their own blackness to do so. I have encountered so many blacks here that make negative remarks about other black people and down black people from the South part of Dallas which is the South Side. You would think you were talking to a straight up Klansman. The black people here are very ashamed of being black and the black men go out of their way to let you know as a black woman that they DO NOT date black women. I have a mixture of Caucasian, Mexican, and black female friends and when we go out (especially in the North Dallas area like Plano, Carrollton, Addison) the black men make it a point to only speak to my white and Mexican friends and they literally look at me and my black female friends with their noses up like we disgusts them. I have never encountered that behavior in my life and it was very shocking to witness. I have had black men in Dallas tell me straight up that they will date any women except black women. I mean the darkest skinned black guy has told me this. Also Dallas is very racists and classists. In Uptown, Turtle Creek, Plano, parts of Willow Bend, they will let you know immediately that if your working class or a minority that you don't belong. And don't even get me started on some of the Mexican elite out here. I have had to deal with very racists Mexicans who swore they were white and tried to treat me as if I'm a visitor in my own country. Yes, surprise Mexicans can be extremely racists against black people and here in Dallas I have come across that several times. It's very divided here and separated, if you hang with other races it's like you know deep down its more of a cordial thing but your not really welcomed in their home or their area. Its very surfaced relationships here.
When I started my job when I first moved to Dallas, I was introduced to the entire company so I had to shake everyone's hand, oh yes I noticed all the white's would shake my hand and then politely wipe their hand on their pants (As if I couldn't see this). I guess they thought my blackness would rub off on them. Or asking a question to my supervisor only to have her respond by giving eye contact to my white and hispanic coworkers and not actually talking to me even though I asked the question. See this is the type of things you will have to deal with living in Dallas. or Texas period!!!

Also Dallas has a very bad discriminatory hiring practice. When you submit your resume oh everything is good but once you are on the phone or you do that face to face interview and they realize your black suddenly the salary is not the same or the position changed to a lower position.

I am begging you pick Atlanta, or DC or anywhere else except Dallas. DO NOT COME TO TEXAS. I promise you will regret it. I feel like im in Twilight Zone and I have been trying to get out of this hell hole for years now.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyRose39 View Post
Also Dallas has a very bad discriminatory hiring practice. When you submit your resume oh everything is good but once you are on the phone or you do that face to face interview and they realize your black suddenly the salary is not the same or the position changed to a lower position.

I am begging you pick Atlanta, or DC or anywhere else except Dallas. DO NOT COME TO TEXAS. I promise you will regret it. I feel like im in Twilight Zone and I have been trying to get out of this hell hole for years now.

Sad but true. A friend who happens to be a corporate lawyer moved here and could not even get an interview with local firms after months of sending in resumes. I suggested he change the spelling of his name from Markus to Mark and he landed an interview within a couple weeks.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 17,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyRose39 View Post
I am a 39 year old professional African-American female that moved to Dallas from Atlanta over 7 years ago. I have been trying and dying ever since to leave. Dallas is one of the most horrific places I have ever lived. There is absolutely no black culture here whatsoever. How can I say this nicely, the black people in Dallas SUCK. They are ashamed to be black and work so hard to assimilate with Caucasians that they make fun of their own blackness to do so. I have encountered so many blacks here that make negative remarks about other black people and down black people from the South part of Dallas which is the South Side. You would think you were talking to a straight up Klansman. The black people here are very ashamed of being black and the black men go out of their way to let you know as a black woman that they DO NOT date black women. I have a mixture of Caucasian, Mexican, and black female friends and when we go out (especially in the North Dallas area like Plano, Carrollton, Addison) the black men make it a point to only speak to my white and Mexican friends and they literally look at me and my black female friends with their noses up like we disgusts them. I have never encountered that behavior in my life and it was very shocking to witness. I have had black men in Dallas tell me straight up that they will date any women except black women. I mean the darkest skinned black guy has told me this. Also Dallas is very racists and classists. In Uptown, Turtle Creek, Plano, parts of Willow Bend, they will let you know immediately that if your working class or a minority that you don't belong. And don't even get me started on some of the Mexican elite out here. I have had to deal with very racists Mexicans who swore they were white and tried to treat me as if I'm a visitor in my own country. Yes, surprise Mexicans can be extremely racists against black people and here in Dallas I have come across that several times. It's very divided here and separated, if you hang with other races it's like you know deep down its more of a cordial thing but your not really welcomed in their home or their area. Its very surfaced relationships here.
When I started my job when I first moved to Dallas, I was introduced to the entire company so I had to shake everyone's hand, oh yes I noticed all the white's would shake my hand and then politely wipe their hand on their pants (As if I couldn't see this). I guess they thought my blackness would rub off on them. Or asking a question to my supervisor only to have her respond by giving eye contact to my white and hispanic coworkers and not actually talking to me even though I asked the question. See this is the type of things you will have to deal with living in Dallas. or Texas period!!!

Wow...KellyRose you hit the nail directly on the head. I thought it was just me that was having these same experiences living in Dallas as a professional black woman. It's good to know I'm not CRAZY. Everything you described is exactly what I've experienced and more. I can't speak for anyone else but as a black woman everything you talked about it is accurate and more times 10.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:49 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
I'm going to add my objective yet honest two cents to the topic, since this is a different/new thread about it. A lot of the comments made here are quite far fetched in regards to the topic, but they're not all completely wrong or that far off base.

I'll begin by saying that Dallas has a booming economy and plenty of jobs, plenty of great amenities, great suburbs with great schools and is a great place to raise a family, and is very culturally and racially diverse. If you are the type of person of ANY race or ethnicity who is looking for a change of scenery from where you are currently and who likes and values the things listed above, then there's a very strong chance that you will like and appreciate living in Dallas/DFW. (Moreover, those are the types of things that appeal to MOST people, which would account for the huge number of transplants moving to DFW so fast, including Black professionals)

BUT...if you are Black and you place a lot of importance on being around other Black people, immersing yourself in Black culture, and being connected to the Black community, then Dallas is going to be a HUGE letdown for you. ESPECIALLY If you're coming from an Atlanta, a DC, or even Houston, or really anywhere with a sizable Black population where you are used to Black people sticking together and having a sense of unity in the Black community and a visible presence in the larger community as a whole.

Black people who are native to Dallas mostly stay in the Southern part of the metro, and are not at ALL unified among themselves; usually, they are extremely insular, mostly behind the times (still act like they are on the plantation), are culturally unaware or apathetic, and treat professional Black transplants in a very standoffish, suspicious manner, and act like back stabbing crabs in a barrel towards other Blacks.

With all that being said, it's really weird and jarring that in a place as large and progressive as the Dallas area, that has as many opportunities as the Dallas area has, and that has such a large and growing Black population as the Dallas area does, seems so behind and culturally void when it comes to its Black community. But it boils down to two things:

1.) Virtually NO sense of unity or pride among the native Blacks.

2.) The fact that DFW is so spread out and many of the Black transplants who move to DFW for the career opportunities, amenities, and family friendly stuff end up scattered all over the Northern part of the metro and the mid-cities where all of those things are, like North Dallas, Plano, Frisco, Irving, etc.

I know my post is going to offend some folks---especially some native Black Dallasites, some unobjective Dallas/DFW boosters and apologists, and some non-Black posters who want to make themselves look extra liberal and tolerant---but it is what it is, and it should be honestly laid out and stated to people who ask how the Dallas area is for professional Black transplants, so that they can make a well informed decision before they move here.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I'm going to add my objective yet honest two cents to the topic, since this is a different/new thread about it. A lot of the comments made here are quite far fetched in regards to the topic, but they're not all completely wrong or that far off base.

I'll begin by saying that Dallas has a booming economy and plenty of jobs, plenty of great amenities, great suburbs with great schools and is a great place to raise a family, and is very culturally and racially diverse. If you are the type of person of ANY race or ethnicity who is looking for a change of scenery from where you are currently and who likes and values the things listed above, then there's a very strong chance that you will like and appreciate living in Dallas/DFW. (Moreover, those are the types of things that appeal to MOST people, which would account for the huge number of transplants moving to DFW so fast, including Black professionals)

BUT...if you are Black and you place a lot of importance on being around other Black people, immersing yourself in Black culture, and being connected to the Black community, then Dallas is going to be a HUGE letdown for you. ESPECIALLY If you're coming from an Atlanta, a DC, or even Houston, or really anywhere with a sizable Black population where you are used to Black people sticking together and having a sense of unity in the Black community and a visible presence in the larger community as a whole.

Black people who are native to Dallas mostly stay in the Southern part of the metro, and are not at ALL unified among themselves; usually, they are extremely insular, mostly behind the times (still act like they are on the plantation), are culturally unaware or apathetic, and treat professional Black transplants in a very standoffish, suspicious manner, and act like back stabbing crabs in a barrel towards other Blacks.

With all that being said, it's really weird and jarring that in a place as large and progressive as the Dallas area, that has as many opportunities as the Dallas area has, and that has such a large and growing Black population as the Dallas area does, seems so behind and culturally void when it comes to its Black community. But it boils down to two things:

1.) Virtually NO sense of unity or pride among the native Blacks.

2.) The fact that DFW is so spread out and many of the Black transplants who move to DFW for the career opportunities, amenities, and family friendly stuff end up scattered all over the Northern part of the metro and the mid-cities where all of those things are, like North Dallas, Plano, Frisco, Irving, etc.

I know my post is going to offend some folks---especially some native Black Dallasites, some unobjective Dallas/DFW boosters and apologists, and some non-Black posters who want to make themselves look extra liberal and tolerant---but it is what it is, and it should be honestly laid out and stated to people who ask how the Dallas area is for professional Black transplants, so that they can make a well informed decision before they move here.
As an outsider looking in and as someone who used to live there, this post makes a lot more sense than some of the others Ive read.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post

With all that being said, it's really weird and jarring that in a place as large and progressive as the Dallas area, that has as many opportunities as the Dallas area has, and that has such a large and growing Black population as the Dallas area does, seems so behind and culturally void when it comes to its Black community.
Because the politicians and white suburban (and some city) residents don't care. Someone from Plano or Highland Park WILL NEVER understand the struggles of the poor or minority groups. I don't even think they care to understand. Dallas, like many cities, is designed to punish the poor, especially Blacks & Hispanics. We no longer have Jim Crow, but we've built barriers (aka highways) to ensure the poor remain trapped and poor and that the rich and mostly white prosper. People on here whining about their commutes while a single mom in South Dallas has to endure an ever longer and more brutal commute to a far away job that barely pays a living wage. It's not politically correct to say, but the truth hurts.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Sad but true. A friend who happens to be a corporate lawyer moved here and could not even get an interview with local firms after months of sending in resumes. I suggested he change the spelling of his name from Markus to Mark and he landed an interview within a couple weeks.
That's sad. I think as much as the DFW economy is booming right now, the opportunities in DFW for professional Blacks are still much greater than in most other places. But that being said, I have encountered my fair share of discriminatory hiring practices against Blacks here, too.

I have a name that many would consider "white," so when I would get called to an interview by some of the more popular, more sought after to work for companies that I had applied with, I would notice that many of the white people interviewing me were visibly surprised or disappointed that I showed up and was Black, even though they loved my resume and experience on paper enough to call me in for an interview before they knew I was Black.

Also, as many highly qualified Black professionals that are moving to the Northern suburbs, I would look around when I got there for the interviews and notice that they would usually have one token Black on the staff already and you could tell that they had already met their Black quota.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 04-27-2017 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas