Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM

46 posts, read 54,691 times

Advertisements

We're going on a trip for a few weeks this summer and are looking to have our dog boarded and trained (commands like heel, fetch, sit, no jumping, etc.) while we're gone. We're also hoping that he's socialized because he's not good with other dogs. Does anyone have any recommendations for places that will board dogs for a few weeks and also train and socialize them while they're there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM

263 posts, read 565,219 times
You can search board and train to find several places. I haven't used any of these places but have a neighbor that did Mans Best Friend and another used Karma dog training.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 AM

158 posts, read 181,060 times
Which part of DFW are you wanting the facility at?

Old 05-02-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
Which part of DFW are you wanting the facility at?
We're willing to drive to get our dog, so doesn't much matter if it's Dallas or Fort Worth or any of the suburbs. We just want our dog to be safe, happy, trained, socialized, and boarded for a few weeks over the summer.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndmom View Post
You can search board and train to find several places. I haven't used any of these places but have a neighbor that did Mans Best Friend and another used Karma dog training.
Can you ask your neighbors if they were happy with those programs and if the dogs came back healthy, safe, trained, and socialized?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:26 PM

500 posts, read 583,426 times
We found a great trainer for our daughters black lab.
Liberty Ranch Canine. It is a 4 week program and his prices and what he gets done in 4 weeks beats all other programs we looked at that were only 2 weeks and for twice the funds!
Brian was awesome! This dog came back one that I do not mind having in my house when my daughter came home from college.
Last week while I was visiting my daughter to start packing up her stuff for year end, we walked the dog right down the busiest street in town, in the heart of campus, traffic, people everywhere, other dogs, etc and she was without a leash and never left our side unless we instructed (playing ball on the quad). I took her to the quad one afternoon and she would not go to anyone unless I let her. She sat intently watching the other dogs on the other side of the quad and did not once run off towards them. This is the same dog that the week before she left for training slipped out of the door and none of us could catch her! It took a neighbor down the street coming out and she went to "attack" him for attention and he was able to grab her collar for us and hold onto her for us. Truly worked a miracle!

We have our own puppy that we are tempted to send as well for him to work with. He is not as crazy as the grand dog, and we have been using the same lessons that Brian gave our daughter to use for her dog.

This is his full time job and he lives on acreage. All the other trainers we found had other full time jobs, horrible reviews, lived in subdivisions and were only 2 week programs. Being he is on acreage, we felt better with his training her to be off leash. Plus, being it is his full time job, a lot more time actually spent with the dogs and working with them.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:47 AM

385 posts, read 488,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
We found a great trainer for our daughters black lab.
Liberty Ranch Canine. It is a 4 week program and his prices and what he gets done in 4 weeks beats all other programs we looked at that were only 2 weeks and for twice the funds!
Brian was awesome! This dog came back one that I do not mind having in my house when my daughter came home from college.
Last week while I was visiting my daughter to start packing up her stuff for year end, we walked the dog right down the busiest street in town, in the heart of campus, traffic, people everywhere, other dogs, etc and she was without a leash and never left our side unless we instructed (playing ball on the quad). I took her to the quad one afternoon and she would not go to anyone unless I let her. She sat intently watching the other dogs on the other side of the quad and did not once run off towards them. This is the same dog that the week before she left for training slipped out of the door and none of us could catch her! It took a neighbor down the street coming out and she went to "attack" him for attention and he was able to grab her collar for us and hold onto her for us. Truly worked a miracle!

We have our own puppy that we are tempted to send as well for him to work with. He is not as crazy as the grand dog, and we have been using the same lessons that Brian gave our daughter to use for her dog.

This is his full time job and he lives on acreage. All the other trainers we found had other full time jobs, horrible reviews, lived in subdivisions and were only 2 week programs. Being he is on acreage, we felt better with his training her to be off leash. Plus, being it is his full time job, a lot more time actually spent with the dogs and working with them.
What was the cost?

Old 05-03-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
What was the cost?
If I remember correctly, around $950

They are there for a full 4 weeks. My daughters was there a few extra days as she had to come back from school over a weekend. He wanted her to be here when he delivered her back to us to go over several things with her. If you wanted to visit them during that time, you were welcome to come and see them.

I've read so many horror stories how some abuse them, mistreat them, only use negativity to try and train them. She came back a very happy dog! She still loves males. When he was leaving, she started to follow him right on out to his vehicle to go with him, tail wagging.

My daughter can leave to take her somewhere, no leash, walk out the door into the parking garage and the dog will go straight to my daughters car. If she is going out to potty, she goes straight to the doggy area. Of course, she stays right by my daughter and wants to make sure that she is still with her. She is home with us since last week and not the crazy dog she was that I threatened to rehome or not allow back, LOL!

Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Thank you Beaching! Fantastic! I'll look into it. Does he pick the dog up or you drive the dog to him? That's actually very reasonably priced. I love that you could take your dog out in public. Mine pulls when he's in public and growls at other dogs. Sounds like a great program!

Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lere View Post
Thank you Beaching! Fantastic! I'll look into it. Does he pick the dog up or you drive the dog to him? That's actually very reasonably priced. I love that you could take your dog out in public. Mine pulls when he's in public and growls at other dogs. Sounds like a great program!
Sorry for the late response, was out of state moving the new college kid and graduation.

Yes, Brian comes and picks up the dog and brings them back. Yes, the price was very reasonable compared to all of the other programs and trainers we had looked into. Most were only 2 weeks, almost double the price and the trainer also had a full time job outside of the home. He has several dogs himself and the ones boarding for training, definitely helps when it comes to teaching them to behave around other dogs.

It really has been great having them trained to go out and not run off or even care if there are other dogs, people, bicyclists, etc. I have been using the techniques that he showed my daughter to use with her dog on our 7 month old puppy and can now take him out front to play ball, get the mail, etc without a leash. Having my daughters dog here for the summer, we are going to start working on agility with them as he also worked on that while he had her.

Best of luck on training yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas