Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:51 AM

113 posts, read 155,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Kind of getting there. Say house 3x household income, 2.5% property tax rate -> equivalent to 7.5% tax on ALL income. And then factor in the 10% yearly increase.
This exactly. We are already there. A 7.5% income tax in this example would be in the top 10 of highest state income taxes in the country.

Property taxes like we have are terrible for a lot of people. With rising property rates over time, the taxes are guaranteed to go up, even though income may not go up accordingly. For retirees, this burden is even worse, since property taxes continue to rise without any additional earning power, though the school portion of taxes is capped after age 65. And if you ever lose your job or can't work for some reason, the taxes are still due even though you have zero income.

The recent run-up in property values has made property taxes more of an issue politically, but it remains to be seen whether any change will be made. My guess is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 11:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Agreed...Take a sate like Colorado with a set income tax rate,significantly lower property tax rate,much better weather/scenery,same salary potential.When will people start not choosing this area since the cost of living has changed so drastically in the past few years?
We'd already be there if the job market was better.

Denver's job market is pretty good, but housing costs are very high there and traffic is pretty bad.

Colorado Springs is way cheaper and has like...NO traffic...but its job market is pretty poor (at least for what we do).

SLC (I know it's in Utah) used to be the best of both worlds but its housing costs are skyrocketing.

Honestly, I don't know where we'll end up when we leave. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We're not able to leave yet.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:57 AM

19,770 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarCoaster View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...93_rect/10_zm/?

$1,360 a month all in, for a house built in the early 50s in a bad part of town, right at the $220 mark

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal.../12_zm/0_mmm/?

$1,546 a month all in, for a house that is being built as I speak, in a great part of town, at the $340 mark

$200 more a month for a house that's listed at more than 150% the Irving property, and once the house is paid off the property taxes are astronomically cheaper. Factor in the maintenance and repairs saved by having a SIXTY TWO YEAR NEWER house, and the property in CA is better

The sqft difference is meaningless, I live alone and have no friends
Square foot change is not meaningless to most people.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside15 View Post
This exactly. We are already there. A 7.5% income tax in this example would be in the top 10 of highest state income taxes in the country.

Property taxes like we have are terrible for a lot of people. With rising property rates over time, the taxes are guaranteed to go up, even though income may not go up accordingly. For retirees, this burden is even worse, since property taxes continue to rise without any additional earning power, though the school portion of taxes is capped after age 65. And if you ever lose your job or can't work for some reason, the taxes are still due even though you have zero income.

The recent run-up in property values has made property taxes more of an issue politically, but it remains to be seen whether any change will be made. My guess is not.
The problem is his math is way off. Most people do not fit within his numbers not even close.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We'd already be there if the job market was better.

Denver's job market is pretty good, but housing costs are very high there and traffic is pretty bad.

Colorado Springs is way cheaper and has like...NO traffic...but its job market is pretty poor (at least for what we do).

SLC (I know it's in Utah) used to be the best of both worlds but its housing costs are skyrocketing.

Honestly, I don't know where we'll end up when we leave. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We're not able to leave yet.
Take a look at Nashville.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Texas definitely has a lot more to offer than states like Illinois or New Jersey.But will states like Tennessee and South Carolina start attracting more people than the DFW area due to the rapidly increasing costs of homeownership here?Weather and scenery is better,cost of living is lower...
The areas around Greenville, SC and coastal SC (Charleston, Hilton Head, etc.) have beautiful scenery but the rest of the state does NOT. Between the fall line and the coast it is flatter than Dallas and HOT. Columbia SC has heat and humidity. The upstate of SC has 4 seasons but the rest of SC not so much. So I'm not sure that SC is the best example for you to use.

I really don't understand all the complaints on this board that Texas isn't pretty to look at. Sure it's not the Pacific coast or Tuscany, but don't people WORK? When you're in your office building or wherever, are you really upset because there isn't enough scenery? I personally would love to live in Hawaii, but my husband's line of work is not found in Hawaii.

I didn't particularly care for all the commercial buildings so very visible from the interstate around Dallas, but many of the towns we visited were very nice! Landscaping, an effort to set the stores farther back from the road, new stores...what's not to like?

Old 05-03-2017, 12:31 PM

8,117 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The problem is his math is way off. Most people do not fit within his numbers not even close.
Well, I don't know, for a "middle class" household seems like I reasonable assumption. Now, obviously it does not prorate to very high income levels. If somebody is making 10mil, they don't have to buy a 30 mil house....

Old 05-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarCoaster View Post
Good thing it's extraneous to the comparison, which is that a house which is 150% more expensive in CA and built today is extremely comparable (and better in most ways) to a 65 year old house here
It's not extraneous in any way. An apples to apples comparison would be to compare overall state imposed tax burdens between Sac. and around here at your income and then apply those results to similar homes in both places in similar cities. You are doing none of that. It may well be that in your particular case your all in home cost would be better in Sac. than around here. However, that isn't the point you are trying to make.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:06 PM

113 posts, read 155,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Average home price in DFW is $237,500 now compared to average household income of $60k. That's a home value of 4X of income, on average, so the numbers are actually much worse for the DFW area. State-wide, house price to income is more like 3X.

Property taxes in DFW are around 2.2%-2.8%, if you include the homestead exemption discount, so 2.5% is not that far off depending on where you live. Statewide, tax rates are around 2%.

Property taxes are a huge burden, unless your home value is low relative to your income. With rising property values, this ratio is not necessarily under an individual's control even if you were to purchase a lower value house relative to income.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside15 View Post
Average home price in DFW is $237,500 now compared to average household income of $60k. That's a home value of 4X of income, on average, so the numbers are actually much worse for the DFW area. State-wide, house price to income is more like 3X.

Property taxes in DFW are around 2.2%-2.8%, if you include the homestead exemption discount, so 2.5% is not that far off depending on where you live. Statewide, tax rates are around 2%.

Property taxes are a huge burden, unless your home value is low relative to your income. With rising property values, this ratio is not necessarily under an individual's control even if you were to purchase a lower value house relative to income.
The average effective property tax load in Texas is right at 1.91%. In Dallas it's 2.17 or 2.18% and people are taxed on their assessed value not actual value until a sale. The income numbers don't work either because, depending upon whom one believes home ownership in Texas is around 60% to 65% the rest rent. Renters have much lower incomes than home buyers. Ergo household income versus average home price is a fairly weak metric.

I get your point that property taxes alone can be and usually are a little regressive in nature. That does not change the fact that Texas ranks about 34/35 in overall tax burden as a percentage of income. And Dallas and area residents are taxed on average quite a bit lower than those in most peer cities all in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas