Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yes, of course, but SF is "limited in space" for construction in the same way DFW is - ie not at all. Paris is like 2X as dense as SF.
San Francisco has a height limit on buildings. Blame rich people and politicians who don't want their view obstructed. Otherwise you could just build high rises to make up for the lack of housing.

Another problem is Seattle. But Seattle is surrounded by water on two sides, so there are few places remaining to build.

DFW is just flat prairie with no limitations on building, so the possibilities are endless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 02:57 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
DFW is just flat prairie with no limitations on building, so the possibilities are endless.
DFW has tons of limitations on building, hence the low density. There are plenty of areas in DFW that are height-limited to one single story. SF & DFW are simply two different implementations of the same ideas.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how many more rate hikes the fed gets in before the next downturn.
The 'slow down' has already started by plenty of measures. Even more lackluster job growth numbers, car sales down each of the past 4 months. We'll see I guess...

Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The 'slow down' has already started by plenty of measures. Even more lackluster job growth numbers, car sales down each of the past 4 months. We'll see I guess...
That would represent a rock and a hard place scenario for the fed. They have already been in a tough spot because this economic recovery, while long in terms of duration, has never been entirely convincing. That is why rates are still as low as they are nine years into a time of expansion. Raising rates brings the risk of causing a recession, but leaving them be brings the risk of not having any room to lower them if a recession comes, which it certainly will at some point. Their approach so far has been to slowly raise them, and that may prove effective if the economy holds out for long enough. If you are right, though, and the economy is already starting to show signs of a slowdown, I'm not really sure what the next move is if that slowdown becomes a veritable recession.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
DFW is not a top destination for most Americans (many people desire to live on the coasts), but foreign workers are moving to DFW in droves because they can get high pay, Visa sponsorship, and purchase a home in a 1st world country. I don't see that slowing down anytime soon.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
DFW is not a top destination for most Americans (many people desire to live on the coasts), but foreign workers are moving to DFW in droves because they can get high pay, Visa sponsorship, and purchase a home in a 1st world country. I don't see that slowing down anytime soon.
That's not even close to accurate. Domestic migration to DFW exceeds international migration by a significant margin and the largest single source is California with New York close behind (can't remember if Illinois might have been higher than NY).

Those numbers will probably accelerate in the short term with the large relocations like Toyota, etc. as the data I saw was from a year or two ago.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
That's not even close to accurate. Domestic migration to DFW exceeds international migration by a significant margin and the largest single source is California with New York close behind (can't remember if Illinois might have been higher than NY).

Those numbers will probably accelerate in the short term with the large relocations like Toyota, etc. as the data I saw was from a year or two ago.
I'm not arguing for harrishawke's general point, but your statistics don't disprove his or her claim. He or she said that DFW is not a top destination for domestic migration, which is not the same thing as saying domestic migration doesn't exceed international immigration. Again, I know next to nothing about what the comparative migration rates look like for DFW, but you are addressing a point that is different than the one harrishawke made. It is possible that domestic migration exceeds international immigration by a wide margin and DFW is still not a "top destination for most Americans."

Old 05-10-2017, 08:19 AM

371 posts, read 553,647 times
Not all non-white folks who move here are foreigners or international moves. There are a lot of naturalized US Citizens who move from other states for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post

Old 05-10-2017, 08:45 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I'm not arguing for harrishawke's general point, but your statistics don't disprove his or her claim. He or she said that DFW is not a top destination for domestic migration, which is not the same thing as saying domestic migration doesn't exceed international immigration. Again, I know next to nothing about what the comparative migration rates look like for DFW, but you are addressing a point that is different than the one harrishawke made. It is possible that domestic migration exceeds international immigration by a wide margin and DFW is still not a "top destination for most Americans."
Except DFW, and Texas in general for that matter, is a top destination for domestic migration. There is no way you didn't know that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#5a14dbcc52d5

Old 05-10-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Except DFW, and Texas in general for that matter, is a top destination for domestic migration. There is no way you didn't know that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#5a14dbcc52d5
As I said in the first line of my post:

I'm not arguing for harrishawke's general point...

I didn't claim that DFW and Texas aren't top destinations for domestic migration. I didn't take any position on it. I was commenting on the applicability of NP78's post to harrishawke's post.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
As I said in the first line of my post:

I'm not arguing for harrishawke's general point...

I didn't claim that DFW and Texas aren't top destinations for domestic migration. I didn't take any position on it. I was commenting on the applicability of NP78's post to harrishawke's post.
I got your point and I'm a fairly well accomplished hair splitter at times myself but come on.

My take away is even if NP78's point wasn't made to clinical tolerances the thrust and logic of NP78's point was accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas