Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 05:45 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Have you ever been stuck in Bay Area traffic jams when 101 is clogged up? I'd kill for Dallas' multiple freeway and major roads that allow you to take alternate routes across the city.
Ha! Point taken.
It is still terrible, that is just a different level of "suck". Similar to the difference between being punched in the nose and being shot in the stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 06:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Have you ever been stuck in Bay Area traffic jams when 101 is clogged up? I'd kill for Dallas' multiple freeway and major roads that allow you to take alternate routes across the city.
Been stuck in epic traffic jams in other countries that I'm sure are comparable to Bay Area traffic.

Try sitting on the M6 for four hours in the middle of winter sometime.

What are you trying to prove, anyway...that we should stop complaining about ever-increasing congestion and commute times because the Bay Area sucks? Do we get to complain about it when it gets as bad, since that's where we're headed?

Old 05-31-2017, 10:34 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
That's a tautology - ie it's totally meaningless. Furniture stores also charge interest - so does that mean they are secretly banks?

Interest is charged because the interest rate represents the generalized risk of someone not repaying their loan. Credit scores are tools used to determine someone's individual risk, since banks don't really take your word for such things.
Just for the record....furniture stores get the money that they finance from.....I'll let you guess that answer. And there isn't anything secret about it.
You really think xyz furniture company has a department calculating how much you owe them on financing? Better yet do you believe they are lending THEIR money?

Credit reports are one way banks gauge risk against their income. Interest on loans is a primary source of income for banks, not a primary risk management strategy. The fact is banks make risky, high interest loans because they are great income. Until they are not. But thats a conversation for another thread.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:54 PM

455 posts, read 578,512 times
After being in DFW for 12 years, after coming from Bay Area CA. I moved back to the west coast.

Traffic is crazy, property tax is crazy. I figured if im going to be poor, might as well be poor on the coast next to mountains.

Ended up in the Seattle area. Cost of living right now is pretty much a wash.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 PM

92 posts, read 117,096 times
Interesting, though I refuse to believe cost is a wash. The same home fetches $220/sft in Dallas that $360+ buys in Woodinville, nowhere close to Seattle. I'm burned out of DFW though and would like to make it work up there.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:00 PM

You are forgetting the insane property taxes, toll roads and electric costs..

Old 06-02-2017, 01:19 PM

692 posts, read 855,250 times
Much of that is voluntary based on your residential strategy and willingness to acclimate.
Yeah, if you're trying to keep your very large house at PNW temperatures while living on a tollway-dependent commute, of course DFW is going to be stupidly-expensive. But you can live well here for quite a bit less if you're a bit tactical about how you set yourself up.

By contrast, no rearrangement of my life will allow me to get back to the family digs in CA, or even near them.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
After being in DFW for 12 years, after coming from Bay Area CA. I moved back to the west coast.

Traffic is crazy, property tax is crazy. I figured if im going to be poor, might as well be poor on the coast next to mountains.

Ended up in the Seattle area. Cost of living right now is pretty much a wash.
I'm asking this question without the slightest hint of sarcasm or defensiveness....how is the COL in Seattle a wash?

Because we'd be ready to pack up now if that's true.

*waits with bated breath*

Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 AM

It used to not be the case, but with home values sky rocketing and mix in very high property taxes it has gotten very expensive. And with no end in sight. Seattle on the other hand has very low property taxes, but higher home costs plus higher wages.

Doing the math, after saving all the money from not paying high property tax and with the higher income. Its a wash. Was able to get a nice 3000 SQ FT home, easy 30 min commute to work. House has no AC, so no crazy electric bills. No Toll roads to deal with, I was paying over 200 a month on the DNT.

It all worked out great.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
It used to not be the case, but with home values sky rocketing and mix in very high property taxes it has gotten very expensive. And with no end in sight. Seattle on the other hand has very low property taxes, but higher home costs plus higher wages.

Doing the math, after saving all the money from not paying high property tax and with the higher income. Its a wash. Was able to get a nice 3000 SQ FT home, easy 30 min commute to work. House has no AC, so no crazy electric bills. No Toll roads to deal with, I was paying over 200 a month on the DNT.

It all worked out great.
I'm happy for you but most people are going to find that per income Greater Seattle is more expensive and by a good bit than DFW.

For example at median income purchasing power is higher in DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas